X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diesel Particulate Filter?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 04:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diesel Particulate Filter?

My check engine light came on, the car began to rev up and down when I pressed the accelerator. The DPF light came on also, and the display showed "Cruise Not Available". What is the Diesel Particulate Filter (Temp Sensor?) how is it fixed and what does this mean?

Old 04-27-2017, 05:23 PM
Received 316 Likes on 243 Posts

The Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) looks like a muffler from the outside, sits in the exhaust system. Its main purpose is to filter particulates from the exhaust to prevent from being exited to atmosphere. There are a few sensors on the DPF that measure temperature and amount of particulate in grams. It has to be below about 4 grams for the light to go off and stay off. Once above this threshold, a yellow/amber warning will come on. What color is the warning on the dash, yellow or red?

If its yellow, then you need to drive it at highway speeds for about 20 minutes. The engine management system will see this and it will begin a regeneration process of the DPF, basically heating up the inside element and burning off the particulates. The light should go off automatically once the amount in the DPF is below the threshold.

If the warning is red, you will have to take it to the dealer and they will have to do what is called a " Forced Regeneration ". They will have to use the diagnostic computer to put the car into this process, then go drive it till the light goes off.

You may have other codes logged as well causing the Cruise Not Available, I know the EGR valves and Turbo actuators on these engines are a known issue.

I also see that you have a 3.0L X-Type in your post, so is the 3.0L you're speaking of? The diesel X-Type came with a 2.2L 4 cylinder.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I read some information from the wrong place. My car is definitely a gasoline model. I talked to the dealership who I bought the car from and they said the code came back Misfire Cylinder 1. Not sure what is going on, but it's definitely something they have to fix. It's been less than 48 hours so they towed it back to the dealers shop.

Old 04-27-2017, 10:55 PM
Received 316 Likes on 243 Posts

I was going to say, I don't recall the NAS market ever having diesel engines, at least there weren't while I was in Texas. I've since moved to NZ about 6 years ago, and they have the diesel engines in this market. But hey, if you ever get a vehicle with a DPF, at least now you know how it works.

As for the misfire, most likely its a coil, very common issue on the X-Type. Which is the first cylinder on the back side of the engine, under the intake, closest to fender. They'll need to take the upper intake manifold off to get to it. How many miles are on it?

I believe every 60,000 miles is the service interval for the plugs. Might need new plugs as well depending on the mileage. If you don't do spark plugs, and it turns out to be a coil, I would do all 3 coils, otherwise you'll be paying 3 seperate bills to remove the intake 3 times. Ask to keep the 2 good ones as spares.