X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Brake Fluid Flush

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 07:29 PM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
Default DIY Brake Fluid Flush

I performed this on my Mercedes C230 but the procedure is the same for the Jaguar. First step is to put car up on jackstands and remove wheels. Next, locate and clean the brake fluid reservoir.

I use this battery-powered brake fluid tester to check water content. Brake fluid is hydroscopic, meaning it absorbs water.

Red lights indicate that water content is high. Yep, time to change the fluid.

I have two bleeder tools. One on left is a Vacula suction device that works off shop air. To the right of that is a self-contained pressure bleeder made by Schwaben. You'll want the correct (DOT3 or DOT4) fluid from sealed containers.

This is the hookup for the pressure bleeder. You'd put the fresh fluid in the container, then pump it up. I found the large cap seized up from sitting on the shelf, so had to switch to Plan B, the Vacula.

Here's the Vacula hooked up to right rear caliper. When ready, crack the bleeder screw and twist handle to suction position. Monitor and refill the fluid underhood reservoir as needed.

After all four brakes are done, top up the reservoir and do a final fluid check with the tester. Take care not to spill brake fluid on car paint as it's corrosive.