X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Differential Lube Service

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 10:17 AM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
Default DIY Differential Lube Service

After I bought this car about a year ago I tried to service the differential lube, but gave up after not being able to extract the old fluid. The fill plug is also a PITA to get out because of the tight clearance. Yesterday I came up with solutions for both. A serpentine belt tool is the ticket for getting the plug out, a perfect fit. For extracting the old gear lube I used my Vacula brake bleeder that has a second larger tube than the small brake bleeder line. This tube is primarily used for emptying the container after brake bleeding, but has the right size and flexibility to snake into the housing. Took about three minutes to get the old fluid out. Second bottle of lube was for following job, transfer case. No luck there with the extractor, as the tube wouldn't get into the case. I ended up using the "tipping the car" method shown elsewhere.

Attached Thumbnails DIY Differential Lube Service-tools.jpg  

Last edited by swingwing; 04-02-2017 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Added sentence.
Old 04-02-2017, 12:44 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Can I just have your garage floor please?

And actually.... the guy 2 houses away just told me he has this extractor that hooks up to his compressor. Is that what you're using?
The differential is the only fluid left that I haven't changed.

Did brake fluid flush, power steering flush, transfer case, transmission, coolant, engine oil..... then it got really cold here...hahah.

Old 04-02-2017, 04:18 PM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Yes, my Vacula DX2.5 hooks up to shop air. Amazon search shows currently not available, but there are other makes. Here's one that looks similar:
Amazon Amazon

You'll find the filler plug (it's the same one that's in transfer case) really frustrating, as there's not room for a standard 3/8" ratchet. You could make your own with a piece of bar stock, but the serpentine belt tool is perfect for the job, plus you'll need one anyway if you need to take off serp belt for any reason. $20 well spent at Northern Tool or Harbor Freight, less with coupon.

Ah yes, the garage floor. We bought this new home in 2009; wife said garage was mine, the rest hers. I had the floor coating professionally installed, along with bench and cabinets. Works good for me, except wish I'd had room for a lift. At nearly 68 I doubt I'll be getting the separate fully-equipped shop of our dreams.

Attached Thumbnails DIY Differential Lube Service-lside.jpg  

Last edited by swingwing; 04-02-2017 at 04:29 PM.