Old 01-14-2007, 08:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts
Default Door Handles?

Name:  Jagbrightlights4.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  4.3 KB

Hi all,
my drivers door handle will not open when using central locking ( key fob) to open car, or at all for that matter. Is a real pain at the moment, obviously need to get it fixed.
Does anyone have any experience of this or what the problem may be?

Chhers

Jim C

Old 01-14-2007, 09:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Door Handles?

Did you check the fuse...LOL??

Old 01-14-2007, 09:21 PM

OK, seriously... Plastic bracket from the handle to lock release could be broke!

Old 01-14-2007, 10:05 PM
Veteran Member

Name:  Jagbrightlights4.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  4.3 KB
ORIGINAL: andersen06
andersen06 "OK, seriously... Plastic bracket from the handle to lock release could be broke!"

Andersen - Did I check the fuse - lol? NO
All other doors seem to open just fine, just drivers side. The plastic bracket scenario sounds like best route to check I think at present. Do you have any info?
I think you're right Bo about the panel having to come off to get a closer look, Thanks!

Jim C

Old 01-14-2007, 10:08 PM
Veteran Member

ORIGINAL: andersen06

Old 01-14-2007, 10:23 PM

Sorry Jim, dont have much more info. I got that info from an earlier thread about the same issue but no answers or fixes were ever posted!

Good Luck...

Old 01-14-2007, 10:33 PM

hey jim, we have had an aweful problem with the door latch mechanisims themselves going bad. the symptoms include the door not opening from the outside and having to pull the handle excessively. we were changing these things out daily for a while. chances are, that is probably where your problem lies. pm me if you need any further assistance!

Old 01-15-2007, 07:20 AM
Veteran Member

Name:  Jagbrightlights5.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  4.7 KB

ORIGINAL: Jag Master

hey jim, we have had an aweful problem with the door latch mechanisims themselves going bad. the symptoms include the door not opening from the outside and having to pull the handle excessively. we were changing these things out daily for a while. chances are, that is probably where your problem lies. pm me if you need any further assistance!
Hey JM,
thanks for your help and I will pm you soon for further advice.
I was wondering JM, have you thought of checking out Jaguar forum.co.uk? I'm sure that we could do with your help if you can spare the time there too, and it would be greatly appreciated I'm sure.
We have a resident Jag technician on the forum, unfortunately he is not available as often as we would like[&:]

Thanks again JM

Jim C

Old 01-15-2007, 01:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I've read similar post with the door handle (drivers side) breaking. i think there is a bulletin out for earlier years. Anway, sounds like the plastic piece that connects to the loc and handle is broken.....

Old 01-15-2007, 03:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Alright guys you know how I say about those little quirks of these cars that you love, mine's had this problem for the last month. From the inside you pull on the handle and pull too fast before the door can unlock and than the drivers door won't unlock. After that problem (which I posted about) my door from the outside wouldn't even let me in the car. Like you Jagmaster and Jim I have the same problem but its not every time I open the door! These car is hilarious! To me if the plastic in the door was broken it wouldn't decide when it wants to work and when it doesn't want to work..right???

Old 01-15-2007, 09:18 PM
Veteran Member

Name:  Jagbrightlights1.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  3.2 KB
ORIGINAL: aquill1
Alright guys you know how I say about those little quirks of these cars that you love, mine's had this problem for the last month. From the inside you pull on the handle and pull too fast before the door can unlock and than the drivers door won't unlock. After that problem (which I posted about) my door from the outside wouldn't even let me in the car. Like you Jagmaster and Jim I have the same problem but its not every time I open the door! These car is hilarious! To me if the plastic in the door was broken it wouldn't decide when it wants to work and when it doesn't want to work..right???
OMG Aquill, you're so true. Mine has the same thing from inside if you try to quickly to exit the vehicle, takes another attempt or two right.
And the part about the plastic part being broken, surely it would't decide when it wanted to work or not???[sm=headbang.gif]ARRRGGHHHHH
Having said that, here's a tip until you get it looked at, that my wife found coincidentally.
Instead of the usual "putting four fingers into the door handle recess and pulling" technique - use this.
As well as putting four fingers into the door handle recess, place your thumb centrally at the top of the door handle and apply pressure and hey presto, it opens, every single time would you believe??
Don't ask me why, I have absolutely no idea, None!!............lol

Jim C

Old 01-16-2007, 07:57 AM
Veteran Member

Views: 163
ORIGINAL: bojangles
My trunk/boot has similar schizophrenic behaviour. every few days it refuses to open. neither the button nor the fob work. I start to wonder how to get in there if it really fails???
I have learned that to get it open i have to cycle the ignition and then it opens again. strange.. anyone else have this?
Is a real pain innit Bo?.....lol
Although my boot / trunk is a bit on the stiff side when opening, maybe the rams need replacing?
Ask Jagmaster, he may know.

Jim C

Old 01-16-2007, 09:13 PM

I start to wonder how to get in there if it really fails???
And everybody got on me cuz I asked why we didnt have some type of trunk release inside the car. Called me lazy!! I bet there scratchin their heads now...

Old 01-16-2007, 09:37 PM

there is a bulletin on the latch rod itself, and it never fixes the problem. that was jaguars "band-aid" for that problem. lol

Old 01-16-2007, 10:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Thats what i said some post back.....ah, the late night typing of a mad man

Old 01-16-2007, 11:46 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 173

Hi Jagmaster,
as I said earlier, my boot / trunk is heavy to lift once opened ( the wife's only 5'1" tall and slightly built ) I think that the hydraulic assist rams have gone, any knowledge on this mate?

Cheers

Jim C

Old 01-16-2007, 11:49 PM

Sounds like you need to replace the hydraulics??

Quick Reply: Door Handles?