X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver Door Won't Open At All!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 08:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Driver Door Won't Open At All!

I've been searching for answers and can not find a solution.

02 X-Type Sport 3.0

Came home the other day and pulled into the garage. Couldn't open the door with interior handle. Put window down and reach outside to open door. No luck. had to climb out the passenger door to get out.

I was able to get the interior panel away from the door frame enough to unhook the cable from the interior door handle. I then got needle nose vise grips on the cable and tried to pull on it to release latch. No luck.

Cable moves back and forth about half to 3/4 inch but does not operate latch.

Key in door does nothing.

Electric locks, unlock and lock other doors but does not have any affect on the driver door. Not sure if it is locking and unlocking.

I took it to a mechanic that has done some mechanical work on it in the past. He wasn't willing to do much as he didn't want to damage the door panel as it is pinched/wedged in at the front by the dash and he said it would take a lot off time to remove the drive seat and dashboard to try and remove the door panel and he didn't have time in his schedule now to do that.

I took the car home and decided I might try tomorrow to call AAA or a Locksmith and see if they have a vehicle lock out tool that might at least get the door open so I can take the panel off to see what's wrong but wanted to check this forum first for help.

Any suggestions before I call a locksmith tomorrow?

Thank you!

Old 02-28-2018, 09:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 709 Likes on 634 Posts

It usually not the cable, it's the rid that has the plastic clamp component. The ROD (not cable) opens the door mechanism.

Post #15 =
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...nt-open-25188/

Another post =

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...oor-faq-48827/

Surprisingly if you do a search in these forums, nearly any problem/solution can be found. Doing that is far easier than asking (a lot of the same questions) multiple times and waiting for answers.

Again, just saying.......

Old 03-01-2018, 04:49 AM

Dell, thanks for the reply and links to the other threads. I did do a search of this forum before posting my thread and I previously read the two threads you linked to. They have great information but most posts work off the assumption you already have the door open to remove the door panel to access the internal parts.

My problem is I can't get the door open to begin with to get the door panel off. I've tried some of the tips and tricks of pushing in the door above the handle and I can't access the latch with the door closed to spray any lubricant on it to see if that helps as well as what I posted in the opening post.

I have to get the door open first and I was hoping someone out here knew a tip that had not been posted yet or that I have found. I was hoping not to have to remove the driver seat and destroy the door panel to get the door open.

Thank you, happy motoring sir.

Old 03-01-2018, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member

I think getting the door card loose from the "back pillar" and would let you get your hand in to actuate the door opening ROD. Note, rod not cable and the ROD goes DOWN to open the mechanism. Bear in mind, you will break the plastic attachment pins when removing the door card (the pins suck, but are inexpensive).

Old 03-02-2018, 12:02 PM

Thanks Dell, I will give that a try.

Thank you, happy motoring sir.

Old 03-02-2018, 03:38 PM
Veteran Member

What you are looking for =

Old 03-03-2018, 02:34 AM
Veteran Member

I need to follow my own advice. In the first page, in the stickies, there is this post on door repair with LOTS of pictures.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...oor-faq-48827/

Pay heed to the admonition that some have the cover plate, others do not. But, this is about every component in there for referral.

Old 03-05-2018, 04:31 PM

Update: I decided there is no way to get into the internal part of the door without destroying my door panel to do so. With that being said I ordered one off Ebay for $85 bucks.

I put the driver seat all the way forward, pried open the latch side of the door panel and peeled back the insulation material. I can get my hand inside the door, feel the rod and clip and can move them 1/2" or so up. If I put my hand on the rod and clip as I try to open the door with my other hand from the outside, the rod and clip will go up together. The clip appears to pivot out towards the front of the car slightly not just up.

My question is: Are the rod and clip supposed to move together? What is the clip attached to and what does the rod do to operate opening the latch. Remember I have limited sight but was able to get my phone in the door and take a few pics. It looks the same as what Dell and the FAQ pics (obviously, and a good thing) posted.

I'm trying to open the clip now to get the rod out but I'm unclear as to what that will do for me? I would have thought the rod directly actuates the latch and makes it release.

What am I missing here? How do I manually get the door to release and open for me? Lifting the rod does nothing.

As an aside note, does this forum lock up and freeze a lot or is it on my end? I can't even view this forum on my Iphone as I keep getting a pop up from Amazon about being selected to a $1000 dollar gift card with an address of tcardkorea.top. Almost like a virus/mal ware thing but it only happens on my Iphone. Ipad and desktop computer hang up and freeze constantly and have to be reloaded. Just curious. (and no, I didn't do a search on this topic! )

Thanks!

Old 03-05-2018, 05:50 PM
Veteran Member

As mentioned above and in links, The ROD goes DOWN to open the latch. The usual problem is the rod is threaded into the plastic clip, which over time and use strips out the plastic. Thus when actuated, the plastic clip DOES NOT PUSH DOWN on the component to open the latch. Thereby the several ways to fix this (nuts, washers, clamp on lead fishing sinkers, etc.) once access is achieved.

Old 03-05-2018, 06:02 PM

Dell, you are correct sir. The rod and clip do go down not up, I goofed in my typing above. Is the clip supposed to move too? The clip goes down slightly and pivots towards the front of the car. Is that normal or is the clip broken from whatever it attaches to?

I'm missing something as to why moving the rod down is not opening the door. It moves easily and it moves the same amount when using the exterior handle, the rod moves with the operation of the exterior handle,so I'm left wondering about the clip, how it attaches, whether it is supposed to move....

I'm missing why moving the rod down does not open the door?

Any thoughts?

Thank you!

Old 03-05-2018, 06:04 PM
Veteran Member

As for your other question, you can read here on the website's owner response. Bear in mind it is total HORSESHIT. I spend 16-17 hours per day on websites and this forum is THE ONLY ONE that I get the abusive freezing pop ups on. Despite the website's owners saying it's "all over the web". Really? Then at nearly 100 hours per week, week in and week out it NEVER occurs to me elsewhere? *shrugs*

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/j...-191100/page2/

Old 03-05-2018, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member

No the clip, once positioned correctly does not move nor slide nor pivot on rod. It pushes down on the open door component.

Old 03-05-2018, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member
Old 03-05-2018, 06:51 PM
Veteran Member

Just for future reference, one of these is awfully handy for these situations (ships from Glasgow, UK.) Lighted 60° so even in dark (waterproof) or behind hidden things you can see what's up.

Old 03-06-2018, 02:53 PM

Dell, first I want to thank you for the info on the mini camera you provided. Definitely looks like a life saver when working blind.

So here's today's progress if you can call it that. I was able to remove the front side of the clip retainer that holds the rod in the clip. I then removed the rod and tried to re-orientate it so it could open the door. No luck. With the rod installed in the clip or out of the clip, I can move the clip down and hear "something" trying to do something near the latch. I assume the clip is trying to operate the part that operates the latch but won't do it.

At this point, I'm assuming since moving the clip manually without the rod in place and the door not opening, the part the clip operates to open the latch has failed and I now have to take this further and remove the whole latch assembly from the door somehow.

My thoughts are this:
1. I have to remove the driver seat and place it out of my way in the passenger or back seats.

2. With the seat out of the way I can finish prying the door panel open to further access the latch assembly and remove it to get the door open.

3. Once I get the door open, I can then replace whatever parts I need. I already have another door panel being shipped to me. My original was sacrificed thus far to gain access.

Do you agree with this process or is there a better way or am I overlooking something?

Talk about frustrating!

Thanks!

Old 03-06-2018, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah, sounds right. If moving the plastic part down manually doesn't open door, there must be something messed up. While you're doing all this, be sure to take lots of pictures on what you're doing. It may help someone in the future as you well know.

Btw, do the door locks work either with key fob or key or manually?

The following users liked this post:
timm525 (03-11-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 06:50 PM

Thanks, will do on the pics.

Key FOB:

The key FOB locks the other three doors, blinks the lights once and the alarm light indicator begins flashing by the cup holder and gear shifter.

I can also feel something moving and clicking inside the latch assembly when my hand is inside the door on it as I use the lock and unlock on the key FOB.

The key FOB also works when I use the unlock button (once). I can hear and feel the driver latch assembly doing something internally. The lights blink twice as well and the alarm indicator goes off.

If I hit the unlock button a second time, the other doors unlock.

I feel the key FOB is working as designed.

Door Key:

Unfortunately, I’ve never used the key that I can recall or had any need to, so I don’t know if the lock is a “new” issue or if it was always like this. FYI, I’ve owned the car since 2006.

Using the key does NOT lock any doors at all. Inserting the key and turning towards the rear of the vehicle should lock all the doors as I understand it and alarm the car, but it doesn't. No sound of the locks, no blinking of the lights, no arming the alarm via indicator flashing. The rod coming from the lock does move down physically but does not do anything electrically. There is no sound of the doors locking and they physically do not lock.

Using the key to unlock the doors: Inserting the key and turning towards the front of the vehicle should unlock the driver’s door only. It does not. The lights flash twice and the alarm indicator light goes off. This confuses me as I would think logically the driver door lock, alarm and head/tail lights that blink would all be interlocked together and all or nothing would work? I’m assuming part of my issue is the driver door lock has electrically failed and is or part of the problem to unlatching the door and opening it. I would also assume that manually moving the clip down would override the door lock and release the door and open but it doesn’t.

Using the key a second time unlocks all the other doors just like pushing the key FOB unlock a second time does.

I know what happens when we assume but this is the path my brain is taking. Of course I could be wrong…

My plan is to order a new driver latch/lock assembly to replace.

Thoughts?

Old 03-11-2018, 02:30 PM

Update, or lack there of.

The other day I received the "new to me" latch body from someone on eBay.

This is very beneficial to have one that works and to be able to hold it and examine it. It has answered a lot of questions I had.

I ordered it with the intention of replacing to existing one as something has internally failed and it needs to be replaced anyways. Secondly I stupidly assumed (got me again) that I would just unscrew/bolt it and from inside the door and my problems of getting the door open would be solved. Unfortunately I didn't research that part until today and found out the latch body gets screwed in with T-20 Torx screws from the outside edge of the door into the inside of the door to threads in the base plate. So, that means again, I can't change the part cause I can't get the bloody door open to access anything.

So in looking at the new one and studying how it works, it appears that the white clip that goes down when the rod pushes it for the outside door handle unlatches it while the interior door cable gets pulled towards the front of the car and it unlatches the latch independently on an arm and spring on the side of the latch body..

Out of desperation, I took a small can of lubricant spray, bend a 90* angle on the spray straw so I could direct the spray and sprayed the crap out of the inside of the latch body as best I could in the hopes that some lube might free something up and I can open the door by pushing down on the clip or by pulling the cable forward. No luck!

I even tried giving the door a few stout kicks from the inside in the hopes maybe the latch was unlatched and the door just need a little help? Nope.

So now I am at the point that the only thing left that I can do, which I don't, want to, is remove the driver seat and get it out of my way. Cut/pry the rest of the door panel off so I can have better access to the interior of the door. Using a Dremel with a small cut off blade, begin cutting away the latch body until there is nothing left and it has to release the door. Even if I end up damaging the latch post and have to replace it, I have to get this door OPEN!

Before I proceed which will probably be next weekend, does anyone have any better suggestions on getting this door opened? I don't know what else I can do here?

Below are some pics I took of the new lock body since it is not inside a door. Perhaps this will help someone else better understand what they are looking for/at.

The first pic is the side of the lock body that is facing out towards you when looking into the door.

Then second pic is the face of the latch body that goes up against and mounts to the door. There are four threaded holes in the plate where the T -20 Torx screws go into and hold the latch body to the driver door. The black square thing above my index finger attached to the arm seen here is the "White Clip" (black on this one). This is the clip that moves down when the rod pushes as the outside door handle is lifted up.

The third pic is the "white" clip which happens to be black on this one but is white on the one in my door. This is the clip that the rod goes into with the threads and it move down when the outside door handle is lifted up to open.

The last one is a close up of the clip.

Attached Thumbnails Driver Door Won't Open At All!-2018-03-11-14.38.02.jpg   Driver Door Won't Open At All!-2018-03-11-14.37.42.jpg   Driver Door Won't Open At All!-2018-03-11-14.37.23.jpg   Driver Door Won't Open At All!-2018-03-11-14.37.17.jpg  
Old 03-22-2018, 07:54 PM
Veteran Member

Any progress?

Old 03-25-2018, 06:49 PM

Update: Job complete. Hope to never have to do that again!

I had to remove the driver's seat and put it in the back seat so I could finish tearing the door panel 3/4 open to have access to get to the lock body.

The only tool I could fit in the door, window regulator was a pain to work around, was a 1/4" pneumatic die grinder. Since I have a Bridgeport Mill and metal Lathe, I had a drawer full of end mills. End mills cut on the fluke so I put a 1/4" end mill on it and used that as my means to cut through the lock body.

It probably took 2-3 hours of cutting, stopping, looking, tightening the collett before I could pry and eventually get the latch to release and the door to open.

Once the door opened, I removed the door panel and lock body and replaced both with the parts I already had ordered.

I'm going to order some door pins as they broke and a new latch post for lack of a better word as I cut into mine.

Below are some picks of what remains.

Hope this helps someone else.

Attached Thumbnails Driver Door Won't Open At All!-2018-03-25-16.07.10.jpg   Driver Door Won't Open At All!-2018-03-25-16.07.11.jpg   Driver Door Won't Open At All!-2018-03-25-16.07.17.jpg   Driver Door Won't Open At All!-2018-03-25-16.07.33-hdr.jpg   Driver Door Won't Open At All!-2018-03-25-16.07.52.jpg  

Driver Door Won't Open At All!-2018-03-25-16.26.24.jpg   Driver Door Won't Open At All!-2018-03-25-16.26.42.jpg   Driver Door Won't Open At All!-2018-03-25-16.26.46.jpg   Driver Door Won't Open At All!-2018-03-25-16.07.55-hdr.jpg  

Quick Reply: Driver Door Won't Open At All!