X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driveshaft Dilemma! please help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 08:32 AM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Driveshaft Dilemma! please help!

Hi All,
I'm having trouble replacing a driveshaft on my 2001 x-type - hope someone can help! My drivers side (right hand as you sit in the car, I'm in the UK) driveshaft needs replacing due to a bad inner cv joint. All the research & checking I did suggested the correct shaft was a long one (approx 970mm) with an inner end that goes right through the transfer box into the gearbox. When my mechanic pulled the old shaft, it turned out that it terminates part-way into the transfer box & is only about 650mm long. I've contacted several parts retailers & even spoken to shaftec, they all insist that the correct shaft for my car is the longer one! (even after checking my reg number against a database!) There is no way the new longer shaft I bought could be split, even if it could be the CV's don't look to be in the correct relative positions. I have no idea how to proceed, no-one seems to be able to sell me the right part! The only thing I can think of, is that I've heard early x-types have a viscous coupling transfer box - does this have a bearing on the length of driveshaft I need? Can anyone help me out with a part number?

Old 01-05-2017, 09:47 AM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Site sponsor SNG Barratt's website shows p/n C2S29729.

The following 2 users liked this post by swingwing:
lc3566 (01-05-2017), SNG Barratt USA (01-05-2017)
Old 01-05-2017, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 155 Likes on 128 Posts

These two link should give you the information you need. It sounds like you may have already damaged the transfer case seal.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-query-157241/
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...acement-76071/

The following users liked this post:
lc3566 (01-05-2017)
Old 01-05-2017, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by clyons
These two link should give you the information you need. It sounds like you may have already damaged the transfer case seal.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-query-157241/
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...acement-76071/
Thanks, that tells me what I needed. In my case the old shaft came off without disturbing the part of the shaft embedded deep in the transfer case too much - I don't think the seals are damaged. I didn't realise the complete original jaguar shaft was two seperate pieces - the aftermarket part I bought is one complete piece from the inner cv joint, it clearly can't be split. What I really need is a new replacement shaft without the extended piece that goes all the way through the transfer box, anyone have any ideas?

Old 01-05-2017, 06:00 PM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

I've not had to do this job, but I don't think the part you bought is correct. I believe you'll need to replace the whole axle as pictured in my previous post. I think there's other posts regarding precautions on the driveshaft seals. Hope you're able to get this fixed. Let us know on this thread how it goes, OK?

lc3566 (01-05-2017)
Old 01-05-2017, 06:55 PM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

The transfer case linkshaft should NOT BE REMOVED from the case. There is a circlip on the end of the shaft that will damage the transfer case internal seals!!! The shaft may be extracted a Maximun of 200mm.

CAUTION: THE TRANSFER CASE LINK SHAFT SHOULD ONLY BE EXTRACTED BY A MAXIMUM OF 200 MILLIMETER OR DAMAGE WILL OCCUR TO THE INTERNAL SEAL.

Read the TSB XT307-S941 pages 11,12,14,15 for clarification.

You can remove/replace the shaft IF you pull the transfer case and remove the circlip from the shaft end.

If the transfer case linkshaft cannot be removed from the inner CV axle joint, you have the wrong axle.

bob

Attached Files
The following 2 users liked this post by motorcarman:
lc3566 (01-05-2017), swingwing (01-06-2017)
Old 01-05-2017, 09:17 PM

This is the part I bought

JAGUAR X TYPE 2.5 PETROL DRIVESHAFT & CV JOINT OFF/SIDE 2001 ONWARDS | eBay

It looks identical to the shaft you've pictured, but it will not seperate at the point you've indicated. When my mechanic pulled the old shaft, it seperated at that point as he was pulling it without too much difficulty. The part you've marked as "must stay inside transfer case" did indeed stay inside the transfer case & I'm happy for it to remain there (I've no intention of removing the t-case for this job!) I guess what I need is a new shaft that's "pre-seperated"? As a temporary fix, the cv joints on the old shaft were re-packed with grease & the old shaft re-installed, again without too much difficulty. The car drives ok now & the noise from the CV's has gone, but I'd still like a new shaft in there if it's possible without major t-case surgery!

Old 01-06-2017, 05:22 AM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Related Educational Short Video

I am ever so sorry, but when there is a discussion about those seals, I am always compelled to post this (and I haven't done so in a few years now):

avern1 (01-10-2017)
Old 01-06-2017, 06:57 PM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce in North Dakota
I am ever so sorry, but when there is a discussion about those seals, I am always compelled to post this (and I haven't done so in a few years now):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVZieID1pwk

I think I am 'triggered' and I need to go to my 'safe space'.

good one

bob

Old 01-09-2017, 09:15 PM
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

That's why I don't go to the bar, might run into these guys, very funny!

Old 09-22-2018, 12:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lc3566
Hi All,
I'm having trouble replacing a driveshaft on my 2001 x-type - hope someone can help! My drivers side (right hand as you sit in the car, I'm in the UK) driveshaft needs replacing due to a bad inner cv joint. All the research & checking I did suggested the correct shaft was a long one (approx 970mm) with an inner end that goes right through the transfer box into the gearbox. When my mechanic pulled the old shaft, it turned out that it terminates part-way into the transfer box & is only about 650mm long. I've contacted several parts retailers & even spoken to shaftec, they all insist that the correct shaft for my car is the longer one! (even after checking my reg number against a database!) There is no way the new longer shaft I bought could be split, even if it could be the CV's don't look to be in the correct relative positions. I have no idea how to proceed, no-one seems to be able to sell me the right part! The only thing I can think of, is that I've heard early x-types have a viscous coupling transfer box - does this have a bearing on the length of driveshaft I need? Can anyone help me out with a part number?
I changed my drivers side drive shafts with no problems. It took me about 1 hour to do