X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

droaning noise through all speeds X-type

Old 04-08-2016, 03:41 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question droaning noise through all speeds X-type

Hi Guys,
when I bought this x-type 2006 2.1 FWD I knew there would be some work needed, I replaced alternator, A/C compressor etc etc but I have one issue I can't seem to locate cause?
It had what I thought was a noisy rear wheel bearing so when doing the other jobs I replaced both rear hubs as complete units bearings and ABS sensors included, strange when I removed old ones they seemed fine, turns out they are as the noise is still there and very annoying.
when I pull away it is noticeable right away and is in direct relation to road speed, does not seem to be road surface issue, can't be bearings, brake pads and rotors are healthy and nowhere near the low indicators harmonic.
I can't see anything with car jacked up and manually spinning wheels.
at this point I am suspecting the tyres but short of replacing good rubber I was hoping someone might have other avenues to explore first, so anyone have any known or suspect ideas??
cheers.
Wayne

Old 04-08-2016, 05:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by WayneinAus
Hi Guys,
when I bought this x-type 2006 2.1 FWD I knew there would be some work needed, I replaced alternator, A/C compressor etc etc but I have one issue I can't seem to locate cause?
It had what I thought was a noisy rear wheel bearing so when doing the other jobs I replaced both rear hubs as complete units bearings and ABS sensors included, strange when I removed old ones they seemed fine, turns out they are as the noise is still there and very annoying.
when I pull away it is noticeable right away and is in direct relation to road speed, does not seem to be road surface issue, can't be bearings, brake pads and rotors are healthy and nowhere near the low indicators harmonic.
I can't see anything with car jacked up and manually spinning wheels.
at this point I am suspecting the tyres but short of replacing good rubber I was hoping someone might have other avenues to explore first, so anyone have any known or suspect ideas??
cheers.
Wayne
Driveshaft (propshaft) carrier bearing possibly.
Some are greasable with a needle grease gun, some are not.
I replaced mine with a reconditioned unit from coventry west.
There are many posts here about the carrier bearing

Old 04-08-2016, 07:31 AM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by iownme
Driveshaft (propshaft) carrier bearing possibly.
Some are greasable with a needle grease gun, some are not.
I replaced mine with a reconditioned unit from coventry west.
There are many posts here about the carrier bearing
That was my thoughts too until I seen that he said it was FWD..

Old 04-08-2016, 09:18 AM

I would have suspected drivetrain also but FWD there is none of that and it definitely sounds to be the rear of the car, going to try rotating tyres see if the location of the noise changes

Old 04-09-2016, 03:15 AM

rotating tyres no difference, had new set fitted, slightly improved but not much, checked all suspension no signs of anything rubbing now at a loss, I guess next step is deadening spray.

Old 04-09-2016, 02:40 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 389 Posts

Could be Wheel Bearings or a dragging brake, CV joints....Don't hide the noise..it's time to find the cause.

Old 04-15-2016, 02:23 AM

Hi DPK, I replaced the whole rear wheel bearing/hub/sensor assemblies of the rear, was not that, brakes are in good order and FWD no cv's on rear.
It is definitely road noise as it differs on varying surfaces and gets to its worst over 80kph, new tyres made it a little better but not much, guess the next step is soundproofing, pads/carpet or spray on.

Old 04-23-2016, 12:49 AM

update I removed all carpets and trim panels in boot, sprayed two cans of deadener and put panels back then the one piece which goes across the rear behind the seats I got some rubber backed carpet tiles, cut to same shape and used a tin of contact adhesive to join them together then put back in.
test drive was a pleasure in that it appears to have removed 95% of noise from rear end into cab, still need to see how it performs on differing road surfaces but for now I am most pleased with result, shame Jaguar didn't do this in first place.

The following users liked this post:
DPK (04-23-2016)