Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Early X-type reliability

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Early X-type reliability

get the 3.0, don't get the manual, and don't get the 02. those are my suggestions.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member

oh and here is a link to a post that might help you out.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/m_47015/tm.htm

Old 03-30-2008, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member

no the trany is fine. the clutch sucks. here is how i look at it: if you want a manual then buy an sports car, ths is a mini jag. should be an thought free-relaxing drive. but that is just me...

Old 03-30-2008, 05:35 PM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I see it the same way Vegas...A stick in this 4 door luxury sedan, is like wearing tennis shoes with a tuxedo...it just ain't right..

Old 03-31-2008, 10:00 AM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I agree that reliability should be better with the manual unless the transmission / clutch have been abused.

Whether it fits the car...I've driven one with a manual, and as long as you also have the Sport Package it suits the character of the car okay. Just also be aware that the ride is very firm with the Sport Package.

You should be able to get an especially good price if you find one with a manual.

Wish I could help more on the reliability front. I conduct reliability research, but not enough X-Type owners involved yet.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Drive both and get what you want (auto/stick, gas mileage isn't a huge difference if you notice below.)

Most important factors is to get the 3.0 liter motor no matter what car you get whether it be auto or manual. There have been problems with both auto and manual trannies but nothing to worry about.

I have an 02' and wouldn't trade it in for anything but a 2005 sport with the ground effect. Every car has problems, you pay quite a bit less for an 02 so don't fear the year just check it out!

Known problems with these cars,
-oil pan gaskets
-front suspension
-door handles and locks/linkages
-transfer case
-vents popping up.

Don't take it from me though go test drive one and check the car out, if you dont' know anything about cars take it to a mechanic and pay them to look it over. Just make sure you don't pay more than you should for any of the cars!

MPG figures
2.5 3.0
5-speed manual 19/26 18/28
automatic 18/25 18/25

Old 03-31-2008, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member

aquill, All of us here know that your 02’ is a great car, but didn’t some of the 02’s have issues. I mean more issues than any other year? Not your 02’ I know you have said that yours has been perfect but maybe the 03’ and up for a first time jag owner is the way to go?

Old 03-31-2008, 01:22 PM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

In all fairness..If there is an 02 still rolling down the road..most all of those first MY problems have been fixed under warranty, long before they reached this point in their lives..The rest are probably in a scrap yard somewhere.

Also, they were having problems with Prop shaft balance.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:33 PM
Veteran Member

For the price you can get the 02 at it's worth it. Most of them have had the problems fixed. From my understanding the transmission and transfer case haven't changed so the reliability on those parts wouldn't change. You can get 02's for under 10grand, you could take that other 2 or 3 grand others spend on 03's and get an extended warranty or save the money for catastrophic failure. Every car has it's problems imo the problems the 02's have aren't too huge of a deal. It all depends on what your wanting to spend, if your looking to spend 12 or less chances are your looking at 02-03 and if your at 15k or more your probably looking at a 04 or newer and more than likely sport edition.

The best thing I could tell anyone is to get a sport model!

Old 03-31-2008, 04:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say skip the 02 and get an 2003 or newer,
that is coming only from my experiance.
but like any used car 75% of problems come from the previous owner not maintaining the vehicle correctly and diligently.
the other 15% is just odd luck
and the last 10% is the mfg rushing out cars and doing a half azz job to correct the build and enginering issues, hoping that it will not fault and sometimes they get lucky.

If you dont drive in bumper to bumper traffic then jump on the manual, its so much more fun, and it does save gas/or burn more. because its a manual you have control of your revs and mpg.

I swore off manuals after i turned 17 because i live/work in an urban area so it more practical to have an automatic.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2002 X-type Sport 3.0L with a manual. And I have every dealer service record the car has had since new.

The only things that stand out other than the regular 10k maintence interval items (oil, filters, etc) was a thermostat (overheating problem), faulty drivers door latch mechanisim, sunroof cables needed adjusting, passanger seat weight sensor for pass airbag was faulty, ECM reflash, faulty trunk latch, transfer case leak by pinion shaft, and the ABStoothed wheel rusted off (causingABS fault).

These were all items prior to my ownership and were all covered under warranty.
Also the front headlight washers (if equipped)have a tendancy to have ice buildup behind thewasherjetcovers and thenbreak off. I have oneoff currently.

Since myownershipthe reverse light switch on thetransmission failed (no reverselights and rear park assistwill not work), and I had a rear trunk sensor for the HID headlights break off its mount bracket causing my headlights to aim down severely.

I would reccomend the Sport model due to the fact it more than likely will have most options equipped and the handling is taught and precise. I like the monochromatic looks as well.

I love driving manual cars so an auto was not a consideration and coupled with all the stories I have read on auto tranny slipping and failures I knew I definitely did not want one. But as stated before if you drive in stop and go traffic a 5spd would be a pain and cause excess wear.

I would go with the newest and most clean example that you can afford. But I have been happy with my 2002 3.0L Sport.

As far as luxury sedans being ruined by manual transmissions I say not in the least. Look at the E32 BMW M5's they were 4-door and 5spds, or E39 BMW 540is's with 6spds. These were cars larger than the X-type and were sport sedans. For drivers who enjoyed driving but needed the room for family, etc.

I wish Jagoffered a manual in the S-type R, that would be a killer combo!

Old 04-01-2008, 02:39 PM
Veteran Member

More than likely if the oil pan gasket is going to leak it has already started or will start soon or has been fixed. I can't remember if it would take moving other things around to get at the oil pan now or not...sorry couldn't help to that...I'd imagine that is only a 50 dollar fix at most plus the cost of oil...

I'd get one with a moonroof as if you don't have it the rear seats don't fold down and I've found that the seats folding down has been very useful on many occasions...

Just get a good deal on a good car and check her out really good! You can tell whether they took care of the car or not!

Old 04-02-2008, 05:39 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The X-type is an awesome winter car. I used to drive my Porsche 944 in the winters around here and being a 50/50 weight balance the impeading factors was tire slippage and low ground clearance. But with the X-type the AWD kicks butt especially with good all-season tires or winter tires. If you opt for the SPORT model you can turn off the traction control at the hit of a button on center counsel which is nice for going faster in the snow if you desire. Sure the tires spin but if you get sliding around the corner, hit the gas some more and you will be amazed at how the front tires just claw you out of it. Nice balance! Wish the ABS was a bit better in the snow/ice thought.

I believe most Transfer case leaks come from the output shaft flange seal going towards the rear differential.

If you get an X-type plan on changing that T-case fluid as soon as possible. When I changed mine not long after ownership I took out the drain plug and had ~3/16" of metallic sludge on the end and NOT a drop came out!!

Granted there is only 600ml in there to begin with from factory but that is over half a quart. Something should have came out. There has been speculation that it either leaks out or due to volatility burn off it evaporates due to the exhaust running close to it.

I ended up changine the manual trans fluid, engine oil, Transfer case oil, and rear differential oil as well.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2536/14EEA12A5A08484F917683ACB3B580C9.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-02-2008, 08:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Chas,

Nice looking jag! I have a 2002 X-type as well. 2.5 liter with no major problems.

Chas, quick question, can you please tell me what fluids you used for the Tcase and especially the transmission? I think people are still divided on using an aftermarket transmission fluid on this forum.

thanks!

Old 04-02-2008, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member

That picture is not very inspiring to me!

Yeah chas I've been saying the same thing forever about the abs! A 1994 pontiac bonneville I had was way better abs!

Quick Reply: Early X-type reliability