X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical "catastrophe"

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 06:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Electrical "catastrophe"

2002, 2.5L, automatic X-Type. Took my car in for a majorinterior and exterior detailing, in addition I had them replace a brokenashtray assembly. When I went to pick the car up the check engine light was on,when I put the car in gear everywarning light on the dashboard "lit" up, along with the odometer notreading. Went to drive and it was also in "limp" mode. I introducedthe detail shop owner to the garage I use two blocks away and told them to workit out and find the problem. The shop still has not found the problem so I thought I would through it out to theexperts here. My gut feeling is a connector was knocked loose or a wire wasknocked loose or "pinched" when the shifter bezel was "lifted toreplace the ashtray. Do not know what codes the shop when and if they hooked upan OBD reader. Everyone is still calm at this time, but I really love this carand want it back. HELP< HELP please.
Thanks in advance, Ken

Old 04-07-2017, 07:20 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

khsmith55, from the sounds of things, they damaged a CAN bus wire between the ECU and the instrument cluster, resulting in what you are seeing. Granted, I would also think if this was the case that the car would not start.

Old 04-07-2017, 08:03 AM

More information. The detail shop also did a wonderfuljob of detailing the engine bay too, more connectors that could have been"bumped"? There was NO power washing done on the exterior or theengine bay either. Any diagrams/photos of any possible "suspect"connections and the shifter bezel and any wiring or components under/around theshifter bezel.
Thanks again in advance, Ken
P.S. To Thermo's comment. When the car is started, it starts immediately and rev's great, it is only when I put it in gear that it "lights up" and goes into limp mode.
Thanks for your help. YOU are the Guru on this site in my opinion.

Old 04-07-2017, 02:14 PM
Veteran member

khsmith55, if the car starts fine, revs fine, then that tells me that the ECU and instrument cluster are good. Since the TCM is downstream of the ECU, I have a feeling that there may be a problem with your J-Gate in that it got water inside of it and that is grounding out, causing the TCM to fail, leading to what you are seeing.

The best thing that I can tell you is to stop by a place that can read the codes for your car and see what you have inside the ECU. If at all possible, find a place that can also read the B, C, and U codes (most readers only read the P codes). Reading all 4 styles of codes will tell you if anything is wrong with the car. From there, this should point us in a good direction.

Old 04-07-2017, 03:59 PM

Thermo, thanks so much for your help, you are a Godsend. More clues; the shop is getting P1637, P1638, P1642, P1643 and P1699 codes, unfortunately they can't read the other codes besides P codes. They are going to pull the J-gate bezel and unplug the J-gate assembly and let it sit (read, dry any moisture out) over the weekend. Let me know if you have any other thoughts given the above codes.
Thanks sooo much, Ken

Old 04-08-2017, 01:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Those codes all point to a CAN fault such as a short circuit. It's trivial to check for such as a short!!

Old 04-08-2017, 07:24 AM
Veteran member

khsmith55, like what JagV8 said, the problem is related to the CAN bus. Since you have issues with the CAN bus between the ECU and TCM (engine to tranny communication) and with the ECU to ACCM (engine to A/C controls), odds are, your problem is specifically located in the area around the ash tray assembly. Odds are, when they put in the ashtray, they pinched a wire bundle and this is the result of the work.

Odds are it isn't the J-Gate as that is simply a peripheral item to the TCM and would not cause all the codes that you are seeing. The J-Gate being bad would not have any effect on the P1699 code (bad CAN wiring between ACCM and ECU).

Old 04-08-2017, 08:10 AM

Thanks for all the help. Any suggestions as to where I should have them proceed from here?

Old 04-08-2017, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member

They sound to be unable to diagnose a simple CAN fault. It's a simple bus (now standard on all cars) so go elsewhere.

Old 04-08-2017, 11:39 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'd have them get back into that ashtray replacement and find out what they screwed up.

Old 04-09-2017, 01:35 PM

Thanks for your continued help. I will call them tomorrow and tell them to look at the ash tray area. I live in a small town on the western slope of Colorado so shops are limited the closest Jaguar Dealer is 180 miles away so it's a rock and a hard place.
Thanks, Ken

Old 04-09-2017, 01:49 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by khsmith55
Thanks for your continued help. I will call them tomorrow and tell them to look at the ash tray area. I live in a small town on the western slope of Colorado so shops are limited the closest Jaguar Dealer is 180 miles away so it's a rock and a hard place.
Thanks, Ken
On a sorta side note...
I was a little concerned when we bought the jag because there is only one dealer in the area. I've learned that while taking ANY car to a dealer usually means spending more money... taking it to a jag dealer means you prepare to take out a second mortgage. Recently, I called to ask for a quote to replace my starter.

How about.... $1030? I was flabbergasted. They said the PART is $800 and something. So.... while there are probably some things for which a dealer trip is prudent... it's been much better for us finding a reputable shop nearby. Ask around and find one familiar with jaguars or one that's willing to work with you. I've gotten far more advice here and done more work on the jag than my Santa Fe.

So.... work through the issue and listen to what you're hearing here. A lot of stuff is much simpler than it sounds and you'll save yourself a ton of money.

Oh, nd by the way... I can buy a starter for $150 to $175 and with advice and instruction from here will do it myself.

Old 04-11-2017, 12:08 AM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts

I've seen those codes before...pinched a wire when I put a two-cup console in. I snapped a ground wire in the harness that the j-gate harness plugs into, not coincidentally underneath the ashtray. That wire is the return for every signal between the shifter and the TCM. Break it, and nothing works, because none of those signals gets back to the module!

Old 04-11-2017, 07:19 AM

Great "clue" wa3ra. Was the ground wire in a "loom" behind the ashtray or loose? How did you repair it? The more specific the better.

Thanks as always, Ken

Old 04-11-2017, 02:07 PM

Great news, problem solved! The shop just called and said it appears the foam cleaner the detail shop used "seeped" through the shifter dust cover and caused a poor connection at the J-gate connector. After cleaning and drying the connections, all is well. I want to thank all the responders to my post in helping to solve the problem. I really didn't want to sell the car, because I love it.

Thanks for all your help,
Ken

Old 04-12-2017, 02:07 AM
Veteran Member

Yayy - good news!

Old 04-17-2017, 03:30 PM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts

Glad to hear the problem is fixed!

In my case, I managed to pull the wire out of the connector. I put on a new pin, and reinserted it.

Originally Posted by khsmith55
Great "clue" wa3ra. Was the ground wire in a "loom" behind the ashtray or loose? How did you repair it? The more specific the better.

Thanks as always, Ken