X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Dies

Old 04-07-2010, 07:37 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Engine Dies

My wife's 2003 3.0 XType has 55,000 miles on it. Today, for the second time in two weeks the engine suddenly died. The first time was on start up in the driveway. Thought it odd but it immediately re-started and drove fine. Today while she was getting on the freeway doing about 65 the engine just shut off. She turned everything off, re-started and drove it home. I checked for codes and got a P1111 which translates to Manufacturers Control Fuel Air Metering.

Can anybody advise what this relates to and if it may have anything to do with this problem.?
Thanks

Old 04-08-2010, 07:01 AM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Wrong.

You probably cleared the codes, and then pulled new ones.

OBD SYSTEM READINESS – ENGINE MANAGEMENT
If DTC P1000 is flagged after DTCs have been cleared, all engine management OBD diagnostic monitor drive cycles HAVE NOT BEEN COMPLETED.
If DTC P1111 is flagged after DTCs have been cleared, all engine management OBD diagnostic monitor drive cycles HAVE BEEN COMPLETED.
So this code tells you - nothing.

Who told you it had something to do with fuel air metering?

Old 04-08-2010, 10:12 AM

Wrong???? Re-read the question. Nobody has told me anything, and since the MIL was not illuminated the code seemed to be some generic resident unrelated to the problem, which is why I asked. And your smug reply tells me nothing either.

So..... does anybody else have any experience with this sudden shutoff condition that doesn't turn on the check engine light? Thanks

Old 04-08-2010, 10:16 AM

So by telling you that you have wrong information, I'm being smug?

All I said that the code you pulled, does not translate to "whatever it was you said".

But, hey, sort it yourself then genius.

Oh, and welcome to the forums, I'm sure you'll be a GREAT contribution!

Last edited by wannesd; 04-08-2010 at 10:24 AM.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:25 PM

Every forum has a resident jerk and it appears that you are proudly wearing that mantle. Remarkable how you ascended to such greatness with only 36 posts. If you really want to contribute though, you should work on your reading comprehension before hitting the keyboard as that's a real hurdle for you.
For my part, I came here looking for an answer to a problem after noting some other threads had been answered by some helpful tech types. Instead I got you. A know nothing that wants to make himself seem more important by putting the information seeker on defense. Not to worry though, as it appears we've got it figured out but don't hold your breath waiting for me to let you in on it.
And you can give yourself a break by staying off anything else I post since you don't have anything to offer anyway. That'll give what few brain cells you have a chance to regroup before the next outing. Actually, you could just go ahead and put me on your ignore list right now. You do know how to do that, don't you? Thanks for the warm welcome.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:24 PM

I am truly sorry for working you up like that.

I bow for your great wisdom, kind sir.

Last edited by wannesd; 04-08-2010 at 05:30 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:58 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Wannesd, you really are being a jerk. If the majority of your 38 posts are all this juvenile and presumptive, you're in no position to comment on how valuable a contributor Stickman will be.

Stickman, welcome to the forum! Please stick around and don't let your experience with Wannesd get to you. Since you're seeing a fuel-air metering error, I'd suggest doing some basic troubleshooting in both areas. Here are some practical suggestions:

1. Check your air filter and air intake for clogs. I had a Nissan 240SX that started just cutting out inexplicably one night while I was driving it. It turned out that the air filter was filthy and not allowing a proper mixture of air and fuel. I replaced the air filter and it completely solved the issue.

2. If the car struggles to start on really cold mornings (and dies after starting) – There’s a couple of o-rings on the air-intake system that need to be replaced. There’s two of them, they cost about $5 each, and it takes about ½ an hour to replace them. It's a fairly common problem on earlier X-Types. You can find more information about this issue by searching the site for "IMT o-rings".

If neither of these work, I'd start to wonder if you've maybe got a bad fuel pump, moisture in your gas tank, etc. Good luck in troubleshooting the issue, and please let us know what the cause ultimately turns out to be.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  19.3 KB

Stickman, welcome to the forum!
I hope that Wannesd was trying to help, possibly the wording was misinterpreted, I'm not sure as he has edited his posts.
We ALL have to think a little before posting to avoid these confrontations.

Name calling and abusive behaviour will not be accepted here by any member.
Please work it out for the harmony of the forum!

Any further outburts will not be tolerated

Old 04-08-2010, 08:27 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

First thing I would do is use a different code reader, you're not getting the right info for the code it pulled. (and that's all that should have been said wannesd)

Sudden shut downs have been attributed to throttle bodies and mass air flow sensors in the other models, not sure about the x-type.

If you can get a new reader with more codes, it should shed some more light on this.

Good luck, and report back so we can either learn from your trials, or give you other places to look.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:21 AM

*ahum*

this is the final try I'm giving this, as apparently everybody can read things in my words that I didn't write

The ONLY thing I said was that the code he pulled did not mean what he said it means.

What exactly is so wrong about that?

But apparently, giving somebody information that IS correct about his code, and asking where he got the MISinformation he had, is smug.

And when you say to that person that he can just sort it out himself then, justifies a special post, with nothing but 12 sentences of insults. And them I'm the jerk here?

Well, maybe you guys can read meanings that I did not intend, anyway, I'm not going to waste anymore time on this. I've got better things to do right now.

Old 04-09-2010, 03:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

It's up to you ,you would not find any better forums than this one

Old 04-09-2010, 03:56 AM

Eh cadillac, what are you referring to right now?

I meant that I'm not going to waste anymore time on this thread, not the complete forum

Old 04-09-2010, 04:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Then,it's OK .

Old 04-09-2010, 09:11 AM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

I ain't no Master Jag Mechanic for sure, and am a Junior Member here myself and have had no similar problem with my X Type, but please allow me to suggest this:

Change the Fuel Filter.

I have had fuel filters in other cars act the same way - intermittent engine kills - and weird OBD codes as a result.

The filter is a cheap and easy change-out, and would be my 1st move personally. If you do so, do keep all the gasoline that drips out as you are changing it - and that you pour out of the old filter - and look at it in a glass jar as to inspect it for water, crud and weird stringy tar-like looking things.

That dirty filter gas can give you a real idea on what is going on in your gas tank.

Oh, and simply STAY AWAY from ethanol/gas mixes. By the time they hit the pump, the ethanol has absorbed enough water as to be problematic.

Hope the fix is as simple as that!

And as one Newbie to another, "Welcome!".

Old 04-09-2010, 02:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  19.3 KB

Whether its the fix or not Bruce, nice reply and great attitude

Old 04-09-2010, 05:49 PM

Hi Everybody, Thanks for the welcome. I know good forum etiquette usually dictates an introduction and a "How Do" before laying on with the problems, but that was a hair on fire moment.

Somehow this stuff never manages to break down at a convenient time. After checking the most obvious things, I quickly exceeded my resources for testing circuits and modules, etc so I waved the surrender flag and took it to my friendly Jag dealer. With all the specialized circuitry, modules and chips in use today, the hobbyist is at a real disadvantage. We'll see how this turns out.
Thanks again.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep us updated. I am curious as to what the problem turns out to be.

Old 04-11-2010, 04:38 PM

See if any of this sounds plausible to you all. After an initial euphoria that it was merely a programming problem with the computer, the dealer tech is now feeding me a much more nebulous line that of course is much more diffficult to track down and requires untold hours of diagnostics. The current story is that A module, don't know which one, is not communicating with the rest of the network and is therefore in some way responsible for the sudden shutoff. According to them all the modules in the CAN network are hooked in series like Christmas lights and if one goes out they all quit. I'm about ready to call BS on this, go pick it up and take it somewhere else. My gut feeling is that there is a fault in either the throttle body or the mass air flow sensor. Has anybody ever heard of anything like this before? This just feels like a giant setup to me. Thanks

Old 04-12-2010, 01:24 PM

After doing a lot of research over the weekend, I learned that a faulty CAN bus, while a possibility, was low on the list of suspects. So at 07:00AM I marched into the dealership to express my concerns. They called back a couple hours later to advise that they had decided the throttle body was bad. While this is not good news in and of itself, it is consistent with what my research indicated was a known repetitive problem with these cars so it looks like I'm in for a new throttle body.$$$$$ Ouch!

Old 04-12-2010, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by JimC64

Whether its the fix or not Bruce, nice reply and great attitude
Since Bruce moved from Canada to North Dakota his demeanor has mellowed.

I know, I know, bad joke. Shame on me.

I'm still confused though. Stickman says he has not had any CEL and the p1111 code shows all systems ready. If it's throttle body related, wouldn't one expect some sort of DTC? Not that I have any reason for doubting the dealer Tech.

Last edited by mohrd; 04-12-2010 at 09:11 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine Dies