Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Harness Help...

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 10:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Harness Help...

Good day all,
I'm hoping someone can help me out. My engine has been attacked by voracious rodents, and I'm trying to see what I need to repair it. I'd prefer to not have to buy an entire engine harness if I can help it, but if that's what's needed, that's what I'll have to do.

I did look at the shop manual, but am having a hard time figuring it out. I'm typically pretty good at this stuff, but am having one of "those" days apparently.

If someone could take a look at the photos below, along with their descriptions, and tell me what the part is and point me to the replacement part(s) necessary, I'd be extremely grateful.

In this photo, I believe the green circle is the temperature sending unit, and I have already ordered a new connector to splice into place. I am not sure what the red circle indicates, but it appears to be fuel related. Can someone tell me what it is, and possibly point me toward the correct repair part necessary to fix it?

In this picture, I have no idea what the sensor is, I imagine it has something to do with air intake, but am not sure. Again, would someone be able to tell me what it is, and possibly point me toward the correct repair part?

Old 11-29-2017, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

I believe the red circled one is the IP valve (injector pressure).

Old 11-29-2017, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member

I would download the workshop manual from home page stickies.

Old 11-30-2017, 06:13 AM

Thanks, Dell. I'm pouring over the workshop manual. I must be overlooking the actual parts I need, but will keep looking. Thanks again!

Old 11-30-2017, 12:28 PM

Alright, blue circle is the MAF Sensor. I had no clue, but that's all good. Apparently there's no aftermarket pigtail I can use, so I'm going to try and rebuild the plug I have. Still trying to figure out the other connector. I'm not having any luck bringing up the injector pressure valve, and even came across a "fuel temperature" sensor in my searches, but it doesn't appear to be it. I may end up rebuilding that one, too. It has a very similar connector to the temperature sending unit, but is just slightly different. Enough so, that it wouldn't work.

Old 11-30-2017, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member
Old 11-30-2017, 02:51 PM

Thank you, Dell! I was searching all kinds of places and couldn't find one. I actually repinned the plugs I had to get it working, and it is, but I'll be replacing it post haste. Now to find the other plug :-)

Old 11-30-2017, 02:52 PM
Veteran Member
Old 11-30-2017, 03:06 PM

Thanks again, Dell! Unfortunately, as far as I can tell it's not the pressure sensor. I think I finally found it in the workshop manual on page 536. It appears to be the FTS (Fuel Temperature Sensor). It makes sense as it's next to the engine temperature sensor in the diagram and that's the one I already replaced. I'll be checking parts geek to see if I can find it there. I really appreciate your help with this!

Old 11-30-2017, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member

These guys are another good source for electronics

Parts Catalog - Airtex Vehicle Electronics

Old 11-30-2017, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member

I'd be curious if the one for a Ford Focus GT is the same.

Old 11-30-2017, 03:52 PM
Veteran Member

Or maybe one for a Mazda 3 , 5? They are pretty much standard mopar plugs.

Old 12-01-2017, 08:08 AM

I've been trying to search for both ford and mazda connectors as well. It seems like the fuel temperature sensor is an elusive beast. While it comes up in searches, it's often redirected to the coolant temp sending unit or the fuel pressure sending unit.

With that said, the plug rebuild appears to have been a success. I hooked everything back up last night, and ended up running around for about 100 miles with no issues. All dash lights were extinguished, the idle and temperature were stable, and it drove and shifted smoothly, as it should.

At this point I'm actually debating on whether or not I want to buy a used wiring harness instead of just sourcing the plugs, and replace it as a spring project. While my repair appears to be working just fine, electrical gremlins can creep up out of no where, and if one of my connections is sketchy I can see it failing at the most inopportune time.

Old 12-01-2017, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Because you have an 04 model year you will have to be careful to make sure the harness is correct. In April of 04 they did a major upgrade to the electrical system. Check the door panel for your build date. I would imagine from looking at the pictures yours is a late 04. Make sure your donor is also a late 04 if that is what you have. X-types from 2001 up to March 2004 are identical and from April 2004 forward are identical.