Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Kaput

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 02:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Kaput

Good afternoon,
I'm trying to figure out the best course of action for my car.
2005, 3.0 Manual, just hit 98k miles. Bought it at 89k.
Best guess is that I didn't change the oil soon enough after I bought it/that it had been burning oil, because when I changed it something like 2.5 quarts came out. Now theres a hellish knocking noise coming from the top end nearest the rear of the engine bay when I rev up, only noticed it because I drove through a tunnel with no music on and my windows down, but outside of the car it's quite loud. So toast. I bought an x-type in hopes that something like this wouldn't happen.
Haven't taken it to a mechanic yet, but it sounds like it's toast.
So, do I rebuild? Buy a used engine? I just don't really know where to start.

Old 02-25-2017, 03:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,133 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Well, not having enough oil in the engine us indeed a sure-fire way to ruin it. Years and years ago I had a female friend who bought a new Alfa Romeo. Some time later she told me that the engine had seized and that she was refused an engine replacement under warranty. She was shocked to learn that the owner was responsible for checking the oil level and even more shocked to learn that the oil was supposed to be changed at intervals (!).

In your case I would look for a good used engine; there are lots of X-Types around, and you might even find one with low miles/ kilometres.

Old 02-25-2017, 03:51 PM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

From your opening post it sounds like you won't be doing either option yourself. Do I have that right? Unless you dead-nuts know of a reputable engine rebuilder I'd say call forum sponsors to see if you can locate a good used engine, then find a shop that'll do the swap correctly.

Old 02-25-2017, 04:17 PM

No, I wouldn't be doing it myself, I don't have anywhere where I would do it. I don't know that I really trust a used motor seeing as this one came ready to grenade at 89k with impeccable service history.

Old 02-25-2017, 09:43 PM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Well, I guess then that you'll need to start interviewing shops for a rebuild. When you get 'er going again you'll prolly want to check oil level more often.

Old 02-26-2017, 08:12 PM

I would pay a nearly obscene amount of money to install a duratec 35 or 37 into this car. I would pay even more to get an ecoboost in there, but I don't think any amount of money could make the space for the all the extra plumbing. I've spent the night hunting, and I haven't found anything other than murmurs in various threads. I'd assume the Cyclones are vastly different, but if anyone knows anything about the plausibility of it, please let me know.