Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine light won't go off!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 11:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Engine light won't go off!

Hi guys,

First of all I want to apologize for disturbing you all with my problems but I know I can find in here few experimented guys and even Jag techncians willing to give an advice.

I bought this car few months ago. It is an used 2003 X-Type 2.5 with 140.000km. It wasn't a baby for the previous owner but I felt in love with it and I decided to bring her to life again.

My engine light went ON few weeks ago.
I've made an appointment at Jaguar in order to have everything fixed.
The mecanic gave me a list with all the parts that needs to be replaced and I kinda got scared by the list but I said ok.

So, the vehicle was in service for three days and this is what we did so far:

- upper intake gaskets
- lower intake gaskets
- intake manifold tuning valve o-ring
- Coolant o-ring
- valve over gasket
- spark plug gasket
- new vacuum pipe fitting in manifold for evap pipe
- new PCV valve
- New sparkplugs
- new Air Filter
- New oil filter
- new oil ( Castrol GTX)
- new negative cable for battery
- new battery
- new rear wishbones
- alignment
- new rear pads
- new rear rotors
- new front pads
- new brake fluid
- new pulley with new drving belts (including water pump belt)

I paid almost $5,000 (!) for this.
I am bringing the vehicle home yesterday and everything was ok, except my ABS light (that is in another thread). Today I have started the vehicle and my engine light went on!

Last time they just gave me the list, the technician erased the codes and they appeared after a week.
This time, we replace all this part and next day here we go again!

Now, I start to wonder if they replaced the parts (I bought only original parts) since I do have the same problem, because the engine wasn't washed, actually still got oil in the same areas like before, I have never received my old parts at least to see them, works a litle bit lazy and is not that fast anymore and the gas consumption is still in 16/17 litres / 100km!

I am really desperate, I lost so much money and my vehicle it's the same.
I probably didn't need all these parts....
What should I do?
Some help please?

Thank you kindly.

Last edited by Tracus; 02-23-2009 at 01:53 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow... youve got more issues than mine when i first got my baby 5 weeks ago...
for what ive learned in order to save money is to post threads here (which you actually did) and to not be very agressive in repairs since you will end up having to repair what aint broke! (ive learned from my mistakes..lol) A lot of the threads here are very informative and pretty much related to your issue(s) or to those you will encounter.

What I did was I bought an OBD2 code reader so as for me to determine the code and its description (and get to clear the CEL) and isolate one issue at a time then post them here...lots of jag techs and experienced owners who are very helpful... and trust me, when you mentioned that the check engine light came off, they will ask you "which code?" since that's the only way they get to help you resolve your issues. You can go to Autozone and have it read or go to Sears and buy the simplest reader you can get.

some items on what they've fixed are on the standard "list" or say, common issues on xtype (earlier versions), a lot of them you can actually do yourself which may have saved you $$$ (again, we all learn from experience)...

I would have you read the code and let us know... im sure someone will respond right away...

Dont get disappointed, once you get to learn about your baby it will surely be a nice ride!

Old 02-23-2009, 09:17 AM

Hello Elardizabal,

I am so disappointed that I was thinking to sell the car. I cannot live with something that will rip me off....
They told me that the ABS module needs to be replaced also (just ... $2000) !
Now I took it to the dealer again. They will give me a call.
Where I can buy a reader for my car and how much will that cost me?

Should I mention that this car it runs 200 km with a tank? Is that normal?

I will keep you updated with their answer.

Thank you for your kindness!

Old 02-23-2009, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

I am guessing you are in the UK or Canada? Please let us know your location and someone can direct you to a place to get a code reader.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:28 AM

I am in Calgary, Canada.

Does someone knows a good technician in this area?
I start not to trust Jaguar Calgary. Plus, is the single dealership....

Old 02-23-2009, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Tracus, most of your list is things that you would expect to do (or should already have been done) with that many kms on the clock. It doesn't seem unreasonable. If you have a CEL the day after that many items were repaired and replaced, the dealer should be looking to see what may have not been buttoned up. I've been to Calgary Jaguar and I wasn't very impressed with the service advisor. That's too bad when your choices are limited. Having said that, I doubt that they DIDN'T do the reapirs they stated.

OBD2 readers are available from most parts stores and are relatively inexpensive but, invaluable in you having at least an idea of what's going on before getting repairs done. Since you don't have warranty, if you are not made to feel comfortable at the dealer, you may want to look for an independent repair shop you do feel comfortable with. Your repair costs aren't going to be much different unless you do some work yourself.

Your gas milaege? That's considerably less that what would be expected. About half. Was that question put to the dealer for diagnosis?

Old 02-23-2009, 11:11 AM

Dear mohrd,

I thank you kindly for your reply.

Ok, at least I start to think that they probably did the work. I really don't know what to say.
Are you in Calgary area?
Can you recommend me a shop that will be more open to keep his customers?
I haven't received the phone call from the dealership yet. Last time they kept 3 days the car in the shop and nobody returned my calls...

I am thinking to buy a code reader, at least I can have a precious information from you gauys before I'm heading to the dealership (if necessary).

Where abouts I can buy a such reader and how much I should expect to pay for it?

Thank you.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:45 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Tracus, you should be able to pick up an OBD-ii code reader at Autozone, Checkers, Napa, etc for around $100 (CND). They go for about $75 here in the states for a basic reader. Granted, most auto parts places normally have a code reader that you can borrow for a few minutes (ie, check the codes in the parking lot). The plug for the reader is under the dash.

As for the ABS computer, have the dealership diagnose the problem and then you can go to a local wrecking yard and get the computer from them. You should be able to get the computer for around $300 (CND). If you do some looking, probably for less. Replacing a computer is pretty straight forward. I can teach a 5 year old to do it (unplug a cable, unbolt, drop the computer out of the way, put the new computer in.....).

If you have a friend that is into fixing cars, I would get with him and have him teach you a thing or two about cars. It will save you a lot of money and give you some assurance that the job was done correctly. You could have gotten that initial list of stuff done in a long weekend and for about $1000. Granted, I have to question the need for the new gaskets as they are re-usable and unless you were getting an intake leak code, they don't need to be replaced. Besides, they probably charged you for standard labor to replace the gaskets and they would have had to access them anyways to change the spark plugs.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member

I'm sorry if I don't quite know exactly what's going on, but it seems to me you paid the dealer to correct an assortment of problems, yet upon getting your vehicle back, you still had problems that were supposed to be fixed - right?

It's time to put your foot down and get this stuff corrected by the dealer. Perhaps they made a mis-diagnosis which humans can do, however you have paid for quite a bit of stuff so there is no excuse for poor customer service. I suggest you pay a visit in person.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:42 PM

Hello guys,

you are so kind with me...

I thank you for your reply.
Thermo, I will look for a computer.
I finished electronics and i used to work in all kind of things (DVD, amplifiers, etc) so it shouldn't be that hard for me to have the things done by myself. I love cars and I used to do some things by myself. However, some things must be done by somebody who is a technician (brakes, engine)..

They charged me even for the computer again, they charged me normal for the replacement of the belt (like they didn't take the belts off when they replaced the Pulley), they charged me for everything and if you want I can scan or put in here the list for the time. Bottom line they charged me three days of work.

I took the car to the dealer this morning. They didn't called me yet. As always...
And when in the morning I told them that even after this work I still have the same problem they told me that some parts are failing sometime and is normal ....

I will keep you updated.

PS
Wonderful forum! I thank you all for your support!

Last edited by Tracus; 02-23-2009 at 12:47 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:57 PM

hello guys

will this work? Or I should look for another brand?
http://reviews.canadiantire.ca/9045/...0P/reviews.htm

or which one from here:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/su...=1235419122479

Thanks

Old 02-23-2009, 02:22 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

go to the Better business bureau and file a complaint. i was tired of the run around they gave me about my car to. It changed their attitudes quickly. It is no wonder why the BBB has given jaguar an "F" for their lack of effort and disrespectful and uncaring representatives that offer no help. Look for an update in my thread/

Old 02-23-2009, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member

It's all about how many features you really want. If all you want to do is pull and clear codes, you can find one much cheaper. If you want one that is more intelligent and has more support material, the $199 model looks decent.

GOOGLE is your friend......

Old 02-23-2009, 03:43 PM

They called me and said that now is the catalytic converter is broken.
How is that possible after I took it out from the dealership? How come they didn't see it before?
Unbelievable.

What should I do now?

Last edited by Tracus; 02-23-2009 at 03:48 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:49 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tracus
They called me and said that now is the catalytic converter is broken.
How is that possible after I took it out from the dealership? How come they didn't see it before?
Unbelievable.

What should I do now?

1-800-4jaguar call customer service

Old 02-23-2009, 04:18 PM

I called Jaguar customer service Canada.

I really don't know if that will help.
Anyway, this is unbelievable. Why they didn't said that when the vehicle was in for inspection and they put me to buy all these parts? Why they didn't see that when they gave me the vehicle Friday? Why they let me go if the problem was there?
How come the engine light was off and appeared after a day (not even 50km of driving)?
Why they didn't called me at all Thursday when the vehicle supposed to be ready and they never returned my calls Friday? They destroyed the catalytic converter and didn't know how to patch it for a day or two?

I must say, the sound of the vehicle was different when I brought it home. Like a groan, it can be heard in the first two gears. But I tought that is normal since everything is new. I never had a new one, how I supposed to know how it runs?

Something is really odd in here.

I hope Jaguar Canada will help me have it replaced by them because I am not willing to pay for that.
What are you guys think?
I don't even have an idea how much that will cost me.

I think i will look arround to sell it. Somebody interested?

Last edited by Tracus; 02-23-2009 at 04:44 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:10 PM

ok, they called and they said that they will not service my vehicle in there anymore because I do not believe them and because I called Jaguar Canada. Period! So she hanged up.

Now, what?

Old 02-23-2009, 05:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

omg.. sorry to hear that... you can start by talking to the manager or someone higher than the manager.. present them the issue in writing and see what they say...

in the meantime, buy the cheapest code reader and let us know which code youve got... then we go from there... In my case, I thought it was the cat converter but it wasnt! What im trying to say is that there are ways to get around the diagnosis and fixing process without having to pull the very last strand of hair you've got!

If your car passed inspection, running OK or suboptimal OK getting you from point A to point B then that buys you time to sort things out....

Old 02-24-2009, 06:37 AM
Veteran Member

What did Jaguar Canada say to you? Apparently they contacted the dealer and said something?

Take it up the management chain at the dealership before you do anything else.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:34 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I picked up a code reader from Princess Auto for $39can- basic OBDII (CAN) code reader with clear code functionality and leave it in my car as a nice quick cheap n' easy solution for CEL light pop ups on the road.

http://www.auteltech.com/gs300.htm

I beleive there are 2 location in Calgary for the P.A. - you might want to check them out if you are close. However the price may be different as I am in Ontario.

Cats are pricey and the CEL for that **can** be triggered due to other factors including leaks and bad sensors (if that is even what is causing the CEL). I think most will advise, slow down and take one issue at a time. Get a code reader to be better informed. It will also help this community to help you. Everyone here is happy to help and the wealth of infomation here is amazing.

Let us know what Jag Can says.

Quick Reply: Engine light won't go off!