Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine malfunction light EML light on even before start

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 12:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine malfunction light EML light on even before start

jaguar x-type engine malfunction light EML light

I've put the car (Diesel Estate 2.0D 2005)as normal next to my house. The next day I noticed that the engine malfunction light stayed on. The car drives as normal. I still waiting for a elm327 device, so I cannot see the code. I detached the power (accu) and thought it would reset. Nope light is still there. Nothing seems to be wrong, the car drives fine.

So what can I do at this moment? The ELM light is on before I start the car and during driving. Could it be a oxygen sensor? Why is it on even when the motor is not running? Are there things I can check in the time waiting for the Code reader? I beieve the reader will arrive Wednesday, but I need the car on Moday.

Last edited by snhnic; 08-12-2017 at 12:09 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:46 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

snhnic, atleast wtih the petrol cars, the EML will be one since it is not seeing signals from various sensors and it is a way for the State to verify that you have not disabled the light during the safety checks that a lot of places do now. So, the EML light should be on when the engine is not running and the key is in the RUN position.

As for getting the codes read before your ELM unit shows up, I would try taking it to a local auto parts place and see if they will read the codes for you. There is a way to read them from the instrument cluster, but you will find a lot of old codes in there and your latest one may not register in there. So, the auto parts store is your best bet.

Old 08-13-2017, 05:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Properly I need to wait for the ELM device or need to go to a local garage tomorrow. Thanks for the advice.

Old 08-13-2017, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Don't guess. Either wait for the elm or take it somewhere. And it's not driving fine. You just haven't noticed what's wrong...

Old 08-13-2017, 09:46 PM
Received 316 Likes on 243 Posts

First off I agree with JagV8, wait till you get the code scanner. Don't risk damaging anything, there is a reason why that light is on.

The EGR valves are a common problem with these, at least here in NZ.