X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Whine Under Load - Near Waterpump?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 06:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Whine Under Load - Near Waterpump?

I have an engine sound I can't quite seem to pin down, and it doesn't seem to fit with any that I've seen posted on the forums (I've read a lot since I got the Jag, but figured I'd make an account since this was driving me MAD.)

The sound is what I would describe as a 'belt in distress' coming from the right hand side of the engine bay, but I can't quite isolate it. It SOUNDS as though it's coming from the water pump, but the belt is in excellent condition, and no leaks from the pump or noises there. It's almost as if it's coming from BELOW the water pump. I'll attach a link to a youtube video I have taken of the sound... Let me know if you guys have any input on what I should try.

The sound also happens in neutral, and disappears when you really put the pedal down, it seems like - or is drowned out by the engine itself.

Old 02-11-2018, 07:04 PM
Received 316 Likes on 243 Posts

Hmmm, you say it sounds like RH side, is that RH side while sitting in vehicle, or RH side when looking at engine from front of car?

Water pump is on the back of the engine for this model - driven off camshaft. You can see it next to battery box. If the engine is coming from the front of the engine, seen quite a few idler pulleys fail.

Do you have a stethoscope or a long screw driver? Can use this to pin point the noise.
May also need to take off belt and check idler pulley and tensioner, see if the bearings in them are noisy when spinning by hand?

Old 02-11-2018, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

Yeah, sounds a bit more like a pully/idler noise to me.

Old 02-11-2018, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by JBzXJ40
Hmmm, you say it sounds like RH side, is that RH side while sitting in vehicle, or RH side when looking at engine from front of car?

Water pump is on the back of the engine for this model - driven off camshaft. You can see it next to battery box. If the engine is coming from the front of the engine, seen quite a few idler pulleys fail.

Do you have a stethoscope or a long screw driver? Can use this to pin point the noise.
May also need to take off belt and check idler pulley and tensioner, see if the bearings in them are noisy when spinning by hand?
Sorry, should have clarified - right side facing the engine bay.

I've had the belt off that drives the water pump but didn't think to spin anything... What idler pulley are you referring to?

I'm fairly new to this home mechanic stuff... Trying to absorb it all lol.

Thanks!

Old 02-11-2018, 08:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

Idler pulleys/tensioners are on the right side of the car (connected with serpentine belt). Right and left in car speak are always per SITTING in the car. So, if you are positive the sound is on the left, it could be water pump failing. It still sounds more like a bearing whine to me, but water pumps do have bearings, lol.

Old 02-11-2018, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by JBzXJ40

Originally Posted by Dell Gailey
Idler pulleys/tensioners are on the right side of the car (connected with serpentine belt). Right and left in car speak are always per SITTING in the car. So, if you are positive the sound is on the left, it could be water pump failing. It still sounds more like a bearing whine to me, but water pumps do have bearings, lol.
Yeah, I tried the long tube trick with a piece of radiator hose and it definitely sounds like it's coming from that side. It's only $30 and about an hour to change the water pump so I'll likely try that... Guess I'll find out.

Old 02-12-2018, 02:51 PM
Received 316 Likes on 243 Posts

There is also a idler pulley for the water pump belt, double check this as well. Have seen a few fail, but mostly the water pump. Check the belt too, as most people tend to neglect it.

Good Luck - let us know if you need any more info for disassembly, etc..... quite a few on here who have access to Topix, including myself