X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Excessive Condensation

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 12:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Excessive Condensation

I'm new to this forum so please accept my apologies if I haven't followed the correct way of doing things.
I have just acquired a Jaguar xtype 2003 plate and every day when I come to start it the condensation on mainly front screen is quite excessive I can't see any leaks but the previous owner says there may be a window seal at fault, is there any quick checks that I can do or is this a common thing, any help would be much appreciated.

Old 02-11-2017, 04:53 AM
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Hi.
I would replace the cabin filter(pollen filter) and keep climate control on Auto setting at all times.

The filter is below passenger side of windscreen under the bonnet, the best way is to remove the wipers and lift the cover from the windscreen as the bottom is fitted into a groove(channel) make sure you fit the New Carbon Filter in the proper way.

The above is the first thing I would do and also check for leaks(ie damp carpets).

And give your Jag a good service ( oil change,brake fluid,power steering fluid,coolant,and make sure you use only Genuine Jaguar Filters).

Regards Tom.

The following users liked this post:
nokiakid (02-11-2017)
Old 02-11-2017, 06:58 AM

Thanks for that I'll do that filter first..

Old 02-11-2017, 08:24 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

nokiakid, something else you may want to check is the operation of the recirc door. When you access the cabin filter, you will see the recirc door there. It has been noted that this door can stick open (as I recall) and if the filter is not properly fitted, allow water to leak down into the passenger cabin (front seat, passenger side carpet will normally be damp/wet). You can start up the car and press the recirc button to see if this door is functioning like it should. If not, there are plenty of articles here explaining its workings and how to fix it.

Another question that I would ask (2 parter) is when you start up the car, do you get a sweet smell from the vents and are you seeing your car go through coolant? If you are getting a sweet smell from the vents and loosing coolant, that would be your heater core with a small leak (may even see a small puddle of coolant under the center of the car if left to sit in one spot with the engine idling).

Old 02-11-2017, 03:07 PM
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

My recirc door stuck closed, the car could not get fresh air in and it constantly steamed up. I opened it and fastened it open, never had a problem with condensation after that.

Old 02-11-2017, 04:17 PM

Thanks for those replys I will check it out when I change the filter.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:52 AM

I have changed the filter today and the re-circulator gate was working OK, Looked at the windscreen seal and think this may be the problem, theres a bitof a gap between the trim and the screen, surely the trim i meant to be a watertight seal?

Old 02-16-2017, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Also, get yourself into the boot and lift the carpet there, look at the spare wheel well and check for water ingress there

You could very well have a small puddle there and this will not help with condensation. They are known to leak from the rear light seals and also the boot seal itself
Please check and report back
Jim

nokiakid (02-17-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,130 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Originally Posted by nokiakid
I have changed the filter today and the re-circulator gate was working OK, Looked at the windscreen seal and think this may be the problem, theres a bitof a gap between the trim and the screen, surely the trim i meant to be a watertight seal?
No, the trim is not meant to provide a watertight seal - it is trim and nothing more. The glass of the windscreen is bonded/sealed to the body aperture and you can see this if you look at the top of the screen where it meets the roof panel. The glass is sealed all around, or is supposed to be. Has the windscreen been replaced at any point?

nokiakid (02-17-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 06:25 AM

Thanks for that I don't think the front screen has been replaced I'll ask the x owner when I see him.

Old 02-19-2017, 09:06 AM
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Peter,

This is how I look for water leaks.

Most shop vacuums have the option to also blow out the hose. First clean the vacuum and hose very well. Once it is clean open a window a bit to allow the hose to fit in. seal up the remaining space around the hose with cardboard and duct tape making a good seal.

Mix up some water and car washing detergent in a spray bottle.

Turn on the vacuum cleaner with the hose on the blower side. Spray the soapy water around looking for bubbles.

Simple..

nokiakid (02-21-2017)