X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Over cooling there must be a answer ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 01:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Over cooling there must be a answer ??

Ok so I have a Xtype 2008 estate 2.2, have continuing over cooling / engine not getting to temp problem, dial barley comes off 1/4 unless going up hill in 6th then it will go to nearly half way and shoot straight back down again when on flat or down hill. OBDII reader gives a average reading of 65-70, so far I have had the oil stat change twice, main stat changed twice and temp sensor changed twice all for genuine Jag parts. coolant is not getting hot constantly check after a long drive. radiator is cold ( especial with the current weather ), cabin heats up ok though, I know its a rather common problem with these engines both on fords and Jaguars, and I'm sure it would have been discussed before on here but cant find and resolution to this issue ....there has to be a answer it so annoying ! any ideas advice or solutions ?????

Old 01-23-2017, 05:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bud, be happy that it cools that much. You probably live in a colder climate, but if you are worried, see if the spark plugs are burning the gas. Are you hearing piston slap or feel the engine wobble harshly (like a swaying feel that shakes the car violently)? If so, you probably have one or more pistons that aren't burning the gas. If it is running smoothly, don't worry about it.

Old 01-23-2017, 05:50 PM

Diesels dont have spark plugs ??????? the 2.2 engine is a diesel

Old 01-23-2017, 06:05 PM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Are your electric fans running all the time? If they are it could be that your fan controller (silver box upper left corner) is bollixed. Picture is from recent radiator replacement on my car. Is diesel fan setup the same?

Attached Thumbnails Over cooling there must be a answer ??-fan1.jpg  

Last edited by swingwing; 01-23-2017 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Added wording.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:22 PM

no rad fans are not on

Old 01-23-2017, 08:02 PM
Cool

Originally Posted by trinculouk
Diesels dont have spark plugs ??????? the 2.2 engine is a diesel
I didn't know that as you didn't mention before that it was the 2.2l, I assumed it was the 3.0L, which I have.

Old 01-24-2017, 02:04 AM
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't think there is an answer, like you I replaced both stats for genuine parts and still if it's cold outside the car takes an age to get to normal temperature. If you slow down for a village or stop at lights you can visibly see the gauge drop.
I have a 11 mile journey to work and temp gets to about 1/4.
Once outside temps get to 10c or above my car usually gets to temp and stays there or thereabouts.
Whats worse for mine is that it has the DPF so really requires the engine to get hot.

Old 01-24-2017, 03:57 AM
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi. I know it does not help your problem but my 09 2.2 diesel manual gets up to temp. "needle just short of half way" very quickly in the weather we have been having recently. Three miles of town driving gets it there and the needle stays there whether motorway at 80mph or stuck in traffic.
I did have a problem with the cylinder head temp sensor which made the gauge go crazy.
New sensor is about £30 but awkward to get at.

The following users liked this post:
trinculouk (01-24-2017)
Old 01-24-2017, 04:19 AM

WhiteBetty, it mentioned in the original post its the 2.2
Dunks Ive already had the Cylinder head temp sensor changed twice i had P1288 come up and it put the car into restrictive mode and was doing all weird stuff.... before that it was hitting almost centre perfectly since then its not gone much over a quarter

Old 01-25-2017, 04:41 AM

I am going to try put in a in line thermostat ( like older cars used to have) between the main thermostat and the radiator, I did this with my last car a MG ZTT ( don't think you have them in the US) because the thermostat was a pig to replace and the part very expensive and the one on the car wouldn't ever completely close, putting the second stat in the pipe slow the flow of fluid down enough to warm up the engine better

Old 01-27-2017, 10:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trinculouk,
I have a very similar problem on my 2006 2.2 diesel.
The needle of the temperature gauge is very slow to move.
Generally it need many miles to move from left position (left of the blue area) now in winter with 4° to 8° C degrees.
Only in highway it moves toward the center.
I changed the main thermostat but not the one mounted on the water pump used for oil radiator (I unmounted, checked visually but in that moment I didn't a spare to replace).
However if I connect OBD2 on the socket and using Android Torque (also Smart Control Free app) the water themperature appeard to be OK, in my opinion.
If I say that leftmost position of gauge is 0 (zero), the first line (on the right of blue zone) is 1 one, the second line is 2, the third is 3 and the fourth is 4 (center of instrument) I have roughtly this reading:
if temp of water on OBD2 is 80° the needle is on line 4 (center of instrument)
if temp is 70° the needle is on 3
if temp is 60° the needle is on 2
when less than 60 the needle moves very little or nothing (leftmost position) .
Another strange issue is that if I use the internal diagnostic (pushing trip switch and turning starter key to II position) and pushing many times until the water themperature is displayed it shows
roughtly 10-11 degrees less than the one showed by OBD2 (if OBD2 and Torque or Smart Control Free shows 70°, the facia display shows 6000, non comma displayed).
This is very strange because I supposed that both should display exactely the same data).
Any suggestion is appreciated.

Old 01-27-2017, 11:33 AM

Essepi, i dont think there is a fix, my obd2 says 60-70 degrees if it was hitting 80 i wouldnt be worried and would leave it, I didnt know about the internal diagnostic thing i know about the one on the screen ( satnav) but that dont give a temperature.... and yes both read outs should eb the same as they are both taking information from the ECU, I have noticed the top hose going into the Radiator gets warm and according to the temperature readings it shouldn't be letting any fluid through so should get hot/warm is your top hose warm /.?

Old 01-30-2017, 04:19 AM

im not thinking its a sensor / electrical problem the thermostat lets fluid though around 82 degree there for when the top hose is getting warm means the fluid is up to that tempreture however the reading on obd II and the dash display are considerably lower even though i have had the Cylinder head temp sensor changed im and still leaning towards something like that

Old 02-05-2017, 11:44 AM

I want to be more correct on reading of temperature gauge compared with OBD2 reading ( using Torque App).
Starting from cold at 60° the needle is on position 0 (zero, leftmost).
At 65°-68° is on position 1
At 72°-75° is on position 2
At 85° in on position 3
The reading of my prevoious post were different because I was driving on motorway with hot engine. Reducing speed I had reduced temperature gauge reading different from the ones just entered that, in opposite, are starting from cold.
However I changed the oil cooler thermostat with a genuine Jaguar, without any change to the gauge.
Uffaaaa !!!!

Old 02-05-2017, 04:57 PM

yup mine is the same approx temps and dial readings according to ODB2, my top rad hose seems to still get warm so either the Cylinder head temperature sensor is giving the wrong reading or the thermostat is letting coolant though before it hits 88 degrees

Old 02-05-2017, 04:58 PM

Don't think the Gauges are very Accurate in the first place

Old 02-08-2017, 12:50 PM

I have checked with OBD2 SDD v130 and Mongoose Pro clone.
Having the same naming of my picture of temp gauge I have, starting from cold at 6° :
at 63° just begins to move from 0 position
at 67° is in the middle between 0 and 1
at 70° is in position 1 (after 3 km drive)
at 80° is in position 2 (after 7 km drive)
at 87° is in position 3
If I reduce speed the degrees reduce but a bit slowly in the gauge
Using OBD2 and Torque App for Android the reading is the same.
But the diagnostic test on the cockpit display (trip switch pressed) show at least 10 degrees less, this means that is not the same reading.
My opinion is that the engine is warming as designed but the reading of the temp gauge is not so accurate, until 60° it doesn't move, then seems to be quite satisfactory.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:56 AM

had this with thermostat sticking open not regulating flow in my 2002 xtype but my 04 doesn't do this

Old 02-18-2017, 07:39 AM

ok so i have come to a conclusion, after replacing the coolant housing and stat again and the top hose still getting warm but OBD2 showing fluctuating reading between 64-78 it comes down to some electrical fault with the reading being wrong this could either be the wiring loom from the cylinder head temperature sensor or the ECU is reading temperature wrong, two rather big job expencive jobs .....

Old 02-19-2017, 08:14 AM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

One important thing I forgot to ask: Is cabin heater and defroster working normally? If the mechanicals are working properly but the gauge is not then the problem has to be sensor, gauge or wiring. Part number for the sensor is JDE10862; forum sponsor SNG Barratt's UK website shows price at L28.42 (sorry don't know how to get pound symbol).