X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fan module???fans??? Issues..

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 09:48 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default fan module???fans??? Issues..

Had the cat overheat recently,noticed fans were not running so I went to my old trusty Jag forum family and asked whats up.....
Heres where I am now,resolved,then unresolved.
I checked the fan control module and it was bad.
Ordered a used one from local guy here in south Florida.
Installed it,fan on passenger side came on but not drivers side,rode with my wife tonight to go get dinner(after she drove it all day) and it started overheating again.
Opened the hood,no fan again.
I have read that maybe the one fan running could ruin a control module?
If so,could my fans have gone bad,ruined the control module,and then again ruined the replacement?
I am trying to not have to put another $1000 in parts,I know you all know what I mean
Thanks everyone for any knowledge and unfortunately any experience you have to offer.
Bowhunter72

Old 02-25-2015, 03:49 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

bowhunter, it is possible that the controller was starting to die before you even installed it. Running on a single fan is only making that one fan run more often (which makes the internals run hotter, leading to a shorter life). Look on E-bay and you should be able to find a complete fan assembly for around $250 or so. Otherwise, by a new fan assembly (without the controller, can be had for under $100) and then buy a separate controller to mount to the fan assembly. The plugs to the fans are the same for all years, just the plug going into the controller is different.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts
Lightbulb

I hate to say this, but you can replace the expensive fan module with a universal 2 relay unit on Ebay. It uses standard Bosch relays if one burns out. You are able to set the temp for when the first one goes on, and the second one goes on 15 degrees later. It works off a probe that is inserted into the radiator fins close to the inlet. As for the fans operation with the AC compressor on. Use the same main power wire you used for the radiator temp, and use the compressor power wire as a trigger for another 40 amp Bosch relay. On a Bosch relay the trigger terminals are the ones that are opposite each other, and pointing in the same direction. The other two terminals facing opposite each other are the wires that would actually go to the fans. You may need two relays for the AC fans, but can use the same power and ground for the trigger. On the other hand, you can use the factory radiator fan sender, that sends the info to the fan controller, and build your own unit. The premade units that go into the radiator fins will set you back about $60 including shipping. Making one yourself, using the same same relay terminal with both the AC compressor trigger, and coolant trigger wires connected together putting both fans on at the same time with the existing power wiring will cost about 30 dollars using a 40 amp blade fuse and Bosch relay. I used the Hayden kit on my Corvette, because the engine control unit turned on the fans, and it cost over $1200. Hope this helps. I would turn on both fans at the same time, or install one universal large fan if you have a bad fan......Just my half assed opinion.....Be cool......Mike

Last edited by mrplow58; 02-25-2015 at 10:23 AM.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:47 PM
Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts

I have a unit with working fans. Pm me and we can talk price. I should have a good fan module as well. Let me know.

Good luck,
The Dr!