X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fans running while car off

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 05:23 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Fans running while car off

My car has never overheated but today when I got in my driveway and parked the car and turned it off I noticed the fans were still running normally they turn right off and today I left it for like 1 hour and came back and they were still running and the engine C/H was in the middle like it normally is I want to know why my fans are running while the car is of I started it up and it ran for 5 mins and then I turned it off and then started it back up the fans were still off then I decided to drive down the road got to the edge of my drive way and they came back on I need to know what is wrong with my car BTW The car has 140,810 miles to be exact???

Old 04-12-2015, 07:26 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I had this problem too.

Here's what I had occur. The little rabbit ear clamp that secures the rubber hose to the plastic male adapter on the engine side of the antifreeze tank is placed pretty high and if those ears are pointed up, the hood padding can put pressure on the hose and crack the adapter. Check in this, If your antifreeze is low, the fans will run.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Chances are if the fans are all of a sudden running after you shut off the car chances are it isn't cooling as efficiently as it should. As was mentioned, check the coolant level and check for leaks. Water pump may be starting to go. Has that been changed in the past? The temp gauge is not linear. It will come up to temp and sit just a hair below the center. Then even if it runs a little hooter, but doesn't overheat it will not move. It only will move once it starts overheating. Pretty much pass/fail.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:31 PM
Received 286 Likes on 234 Posts

Dittos on the suspicion that your coolant is low. A crack in the coolant reservoir is very possible, or a slow leak in the water pump or thermostat housing.

The following thread has suggestions where to look for the leak. Until you find and fix it, fill your coolant reservoir, carry a jug of water, and regularly check the coolant level.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-stays-129940/

Given the mileage on your car, I'd start by checking for stress cracks in the bottom or around the nipples of the coolant reservoir. It becomes pressurized when the coolant is hot, and engine compartment heat causes the plastic to fail with age. Relatively easy to diagnose, and inexpensive to replace.

Old 04-12-2015, 11:04 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No I'm not sure if the pump was replaced but I did have to send it to the local jaguar dealer to get it fixed becuase the car just stoped in the middle of a country road and when you press the pedal the car would just make this deep crunching noise and wouldn't move so I had to push it down the road and call jaguar to pick it up but I'm pretty sure they replaced things that they say were about to kick the bucket so it's been replaced 1 time only!!