X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A few quick questions - 2003 Jag X

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 08:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A few quick questions - 2003 Jag X

Hey everyone. I joined not to long ago and just bought a 2003 X-type. I installed the new radiator and have bee driving the car only about a day. Everything seems good. I'm going to check for codes after work and clear them. See what comes back to start hacking away at the small problems.

First ? - From a stopped position, it seems like the trans is a little slow to react.. Almost like a centrifical clutch catching. Is this normal? I still need to clean the throttle body and will get around to new plugs in a few weeks.

2nd ? - ABS Light - The front left sensor was missing.. Completely. Is there a chance that the inside of the hub (that the sensor reads off of) may be rusted or dirty beyond repair? Are these built into bearing hubs?

3rd - When on the gas, even lightly, theres a light hum. I'm thinking possibly a worn bearing? It goes away when you let of the throttle.

4th- And Last - the past owner couldnt get the hood open. Passenger lock was stuck. Instead of climbing underneath, they started prying. I installed the new latch, but I can't get the hood to close completely to line up with the fender. The passenger side sits about 1/2 to 3/4" high. Any thoughts to adjustment??

After I get her cleaned up, I'll snap some pictures. So far its a great car to drive! Thankyou to you all here ahead of time! This by far seems like one of the better forums ive seen out there!

Old 02-15-2013, 12:33 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

1. Could be transmission or transfer case. Change fluids.

2. I can't answer this one.

3. Again, Transfer case or bearing. I just lubricated my bearing, 100% better.

4. If I had a crowbar and knew the previous owner right now I'd......

Old 02-15-2013, 01:20 PM
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

First, welcome to the Forums!

I can answer number 2 for you as I just had to deal with this a few weeks ago. The sensor reads an "excitor ring" that is on the OEM wheel bearings. If you replace the sensor (as you said it was completely missing) and find you're still getting the ABS light, get an OEM bearing and have a shop install it for you.

I had a bad left-front bearing and took it in to get replaced. The shop put a generic bearing in and the ABS started acting up within 30 seconds of leaving their parking lot. I took it back in and they couldn't figure it out so I did my homework on this site, bough a new OEM bearing off JPLV (which was interestingly enough only half the cost of their generic part) and had them put it in. Worked like a charm

Old 02-15-2013, 03:03 PM
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Jplv

Hello! Would you please let us know what "JPLV" is? If it is a source for Jaguar parts, I would be interested in learning more. Many thanks and I hope you (all) have an enjoyable weekend. Bill in Wooster USA Ohio.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My abs sensor will b in tomorrow at the local parts store. He said it was a oem replacement by Bosch. Hopefully that will take care of the abs light.
Im not happy about the prying of the hood. I'll be needing a new hood cable soon, as well as the nice dents in the front of the hood which will have to be fixed and hood painted.. Thanks for the info on the sensor. The trans seems almost like theres some play in the pedal rather than the trans. Now that i've driven it a little more, hit the pedal a little nothign happens, a little more and it jumps. I think the trans is ok, all though when I do the oil pan gasket, i'm going to do the trans and differentials as well. I just wanted to put a few miles on it to see what needs to be fixed a start my list :-D