X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Go in the Snow!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 07:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Go in the Snow!!!

Here in NYC we finally got dumped on with about 4/5 inches of snow over night. I bought this car last spring, after struugling all winter with a RWD 3 series bimmer. With the bimmer, I couldnt even get out of my parking spot without a shovel, let alone drive safely without worrying about traction, sliding off the standing start, etc. This morning in the X was a breeze. Total breeze. The shovel is still in the trunk loving its vacation! LOL

When each traffic light turned green, I was the only one off and going, everyone else was holding their breath, easing off gently and hoping not to spin out and/or slide off into the next lane. It was as if I were a superhero

I've been in love with the car for its looks, inside and out, but now I see where the real joy in this car is to be had

Old 02-22-2008, 08:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: First Go in the Snow!!!

I am enjoying my jaguar in the snow as well. I'm in NJ/NYC area and it keeps on coming. I even beat a new BMW M5 and a porsche 911 turbo off the line today. Of course the handicap was this snow!

Enjoy the snow but be careful of other drivers and especially braking downhill and turns!

Old 02-22-2008, 08:21 AM

ORIGINAL: hankycbr

I am enjoying my jaguar in the snow as well. I'm in NJ/NYC area and it keeps on coming. I even beat a new BMW M5 and a porsche 911 turbo off the line today. Of course the handicap was this snow!

Enjoy the snow but be careful of other drivers and especially braking downhill and turns!

Absolutely. Normal rules of driving safely in the snow/ice apply. Half of that is to avoid being near other cars, so its a good thing that we can get off the line ahead of everyone else It is astonishing to me how much more traction and control we have compared to front and rear wheel drives.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah it is pretty impressive isn't it! Even with bald tires your all set! The only thing I don't like is the abs on this car, other than that the car is awesome! You don't need a shovel anymore though shaguar you can take that out!

Old 02-22-2008, 09:02 AM

ORIGINAL: aquill1

Yeah it is pretty impressive isn't it! Even with bald tires your all set! The only thing I don't like is the abs on this car, other than that the car is awesome! You don't need a shovel anymore though shaguar you can take that out!
LOL, forgive me! Considering all the trauma I had with the 3 series bimmer, the shovel is like my security blanket now. It may take a few winters for me to part with it.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:16 AM

here in ohio same thing, snow, ice,etc. yeah!!!!!!!!!! man this thing will goooooooooooo. passing 4x4s like they're standing still. yes drive safe, be smart, but if you know how to drive, it's sad really watching everyone else kinda fumble around trying to go anywhere.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:31 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No snow for us in the south this year I'm glad you guys are having fun.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:52 AM

Just had 3 to 4 in. this morning and the S Type with its traction control is
terrific. Have no probs snow or rain ( got to have the right tires)

Old 02-22-2008, 10:46 AM

ORIGINAL: bojangles

imagine if you all had snow tires. (maybe some of you do?)
there is a step in traction just from the awd... but the step up in traction by having awd AND snow tires is totally amazing.

ONce you try it you will be convinced.
We seem to be getting lesser and lesser snow totals each year around here. I think I'll stick to all-seasons until and unless we have a reversing trend towards a real snow season again in the region. Famous last words! Watch us get hammered by blizzards for the rest of the winter now, LOL

Old 02-22-2008, 01:07 PM

I have all season continentals on my x and you really need to watch when making turns. I was pulling into a plaza and as i got up the driveway i kinda accelerated while turning and the back end of my car spun to the left almost sending me in a 360. I guess i really need to learn how to drive this car and get used to the sensitive accelerator pedal. Do these cars have traction control as a standard feature?

Old 02-22-2008, 02:05 PM
Veteran Member

No t/c is not standard nor an option if I'm not mistaken! In the future for the sake of yourself and not getting harassed make sure you specify t/c as dynamic stability control (2 different beasts.) Just thought I'd warn you! But yes with the drivetrain or power split 60 to the rear 40 to the front the car is still biased to a rear slide. DSC (dynamic stability control) works wonders and there is no fear of swerving sideways no matter how you step on the gas except on ice as it's quite hard for anything to figure ice out, for instance look at how we humans react on ice! We could walk on ice for 20 years and still not figure out a way to not fall on it! LOL!!! DSC is standard on all sport models here in the states but I'm not sure about you guys across the pond.

Oh no not the winter/all-season/summer tire debate again I can imagine the difference in snow tires and all season but the cost just sucks...I don't even want to talk pot holes or tread or any of that crap for a while!

Old 02-22-2008, 03:06 PM

ORIGINAL: bojangles

snow tires cost 100-200 dollars a year... or from my standpoint they save half the wear of your good summer tires ($$) and end up mile for mile cheaper in the long run.

one fender bender, or slip and hit one curb, bend a rim, wreck the alignment... just one small incident, and you will spend more than snow tires. add to that the safety to avoid a BIG crash and they become priceless..

added benefit is you can use proper summer tires in the summer and get serious traction in the dry.

save the all seasons for when you are old and retired in Florida...
I hear you. I was just makinmg the point that I'd need more snow up hear to justify the purchase. Its the end of February and this is the first snow we've had. In addition, on the subject of cost, I would have to pay for storage for my all seasons while I rode the snow tires. Unless we start to really get regular snowfall, I doubt I will go for snow tires under these circumstances.

But yeah, I dont want us to revive the tire debate either!

Old 02-22-2008, 06:51 PM
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

04 x types and up without the viscous coupling are useless in the snow... get stuck alot at the dealer parking lot.. viscous kicks ***

Old 02-22-2008, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  T15ESSJAG5.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  6.3 KBName:  X6JYMSAAB5.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  6.1 KBName:  AudiX6JYM-2.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  6.4 KB

ORIGINAL: jag_genius
04 x types and up without the viscous coupling are useless in the snow... get stuck alot at the dealer parking lot.. viscous kicks ***
Wahey...nice one JG............a plus for the 02's and 03's then.

Jim

Old 02-23-2008, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member

Why did they change that again? Doesn't having/not having that doesn't it mean you must replace all 4 tires on our 02-03's and the others just have to replace each axle tires?

Old 02-23-2008, 09:05 AM
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

no i havent seen that with your 02 and 03's .. due to $ the viscous use to be about 5k and the non viscous is about 3k

Old 02-23-2008, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member

I mean when you go to a tire shop they won't replace just 1 or 2 tires they require to replace all 4. I heard somewhere is that with the viscous or w/out it you don't have to worry about the tread differences with your tires. This is all hearsay that I read or heard from somebody though...

Old 02-25-2008, 08:08 AM
Received 136 Likes on 79 Posts

ORIGINAL: jag_genius

So, without the viscous coupler, is it just an open diff in the t-case?

Quick Reply: First Go in the Snow!!!