X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

flex pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 08:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flex pipe?

i have what looks like a 6ish inch long flex pipe in front of the the intermediate pipe (its a weaved pipe) well it is leaking and making my exhaust loud! i cant seem to find this part at all. Everything i find seems to show it as being part of the intermediate pipe. i havent gone to the dealer yet, but i want to make sure i call it the right thing when i go in.

any idea the real name of this part? and if its part of the intermediate shaft or can be purchased seperately.

Thanks!

2002 2.5L

Old 09-28-2011, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 155 Likes on 128 Posts

I don't see any flexible tubing in the image from the JEPC. Does this look like your system?

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
x-type_exhaust.pdf (105.5 KB, 500 views)
Old 09-28-2011, 11:40 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My X-type is leaking at the same flex piping at the weld just before entering into the resonator or mid-muffler. In the PDF it would be the piece that has #9 pointing to it. It looks like it is all one assembly from where the manifold pipes Y into the single pipe back to the rear mufflers.

I was thinking about just doing away with the middle muffler (resonator) entirely and running straight pipe back to the rear mufflers.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:37 PM

yes its exactly the place where the number 9 is pointing! (its a flexible pipe section) that intermediate shaft is $550 for the part.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

If it's at a weld point, I'd take it into Speedy or someone and get them to replace the flex pipe. They have it in all different lengths.

OR, blow away the whole thing, get a header, free flowing cat and Borla or Magnaflow muffler with some SS piping in between. It might add 10HP and cost a grand but be the first oin your block!!!! Don't laugh, I looked everywhere for a header for our car simply to get rid of that manifolod attached cat system. Found none!

Last edited by sidewalkman; 09-28-2011 at 04:27 PM.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's called the Resonator Pipe, which includes the Flex Pipe as well. You can cut the pipe immediately after the Flex and install an aftermarket Flex pipe, but all I can find is a double flanged flex pipe, so you also cut one end's flange off and use a butt joint band clamp to join it to the existing pipe, or you can weld the pieces together, if you cut them exactly right. Or.... You can install the whole pipe, you can get it from Jaguar for outrageous money, or from Walker Exhaust. Good luck.

Old 07-22-2019, 01:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 709 Likes on 634 Posts

Wow! 8 year old thread

Old 07-22-2019, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Dell Gailey
Wow! 8 year old thread
LOLOL!!!! Yeah, I know. But there was still not a good answer to the OPs question! So I contributed, 8 years late, lol. Hey, I'm constantly looking for answers to questions I have, and you'd be surprised at how often I can find the exact same question posted that I have, bit there's no answer, just a lot of posts of people agreeing with the original question!!! So I answer them some of them, especially if I have done the repair myself and know of little idiosyncrasies I ran into. BTW,, here is the eBay listing of the cheapest price for the complete pipe, sans gasket and clamp...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-2002-20...=1706687893019.
Paid $88, with free shipping to lower 48 states (USA ONLY, shipping to UK probably expensive). This is an API-made part (Automotive Parts International) so I trust it's integrity, and the resonator is box-like, just like the $500 OE Jaguar pipe. I bought the Walker pipe though because I like the smaller, round resonator, which gives more clearance. Search "Walker 48348 Resonator Assembly" on Amazon. But the Walker Exhaust pipe was TWICE as much at $165, and came sans the gasket and butt-joint band clamp Exhaust Sleeve. And, search "Walker 52094" to see a photo of an example of JUST the flex pipe, (but i don't think this one has the correct sized flange, nor possibly even the pipe diameter. But it gives you an idea of the cheapest way to replace the flex pipe, and only the flex pipe.

Here's my question.... How many years is a flex pipe supposed to last before it deteriorates too much to be any good. I push mine for about a year once I hear it starting to leak. I've already replaced it once about 5 years ago. The outer mesh weaves just fell apart, and now it is rusting all over. It was just a flex replacement, so it's not a full resonator replacement, and that is still in great condition. But I am replacing it anyway.

Old 04-28-2022, 09:40 AM
Default Walker resonator tail pipe assembly

Originally Posted by ddomin2002
i have what looks like a 6ish inch long flex pipe in front of the the intermediate pipe (its a weaved pipe) well it is leaking and making my exhaust loud! i cant seem to find this part at all. Everything i find seems to show it as being part of the intermediate pipe. i havent gone to the dealer yet, but i want to make sure i call it the right thing when i go in.

any idea the real name of this part? and if its part of the intermediate shaft or can be purchased seperately.

Thanks!

2002 2.5L
hey don have the same car was tboned at a red light this was the last part to replace as got hit so hard it broke the flex web pipe at the exhaust manifold good news and bad good is very easy fix and it comprises of the entire exhaust to the mufflers in back bad is tried all of the local auto part stores and could not get good news wife went on amazon and it is only a 145$ with free like 2 day shipping it is called the walker resonator and tail pipe assembly it is part #48348 got a lot of tricks as just did it in the driveway with hand tools.hope this helps jiust signed back on to forum in few years and saw the ;post. brody

Old 04-29-2022, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by brodysea
hey don have the same car was tboned at a red light this was the last part to replace as got hit so hard it broke the flex web pipe at the exhaust manifold good news and bad good is very easy fix and it comprises of the entire exhaust to the mufflers in back bad is tried all of the local auto part stores and could not get good news wife went on amazon and it is only a 145$ with free like 2 day shipping it is called the walker resonator and tail pipe assembly it is part #48348 got a lot of tricks as just did it in the driveway with hand tools.hope this helps jiust signed back on to forum in few years and saw the ;post. brody
Yep, i agree, the flex pipe is part of the resonator assembly pipe. To add a few words.... You can find this pipe on Amazon and Ebay, but there a 2 or 3 different types, with the resonator being with rounded or triangular, and the pipe tubing being different gauges of steel, and the bolt on end being different as well. I went with the factory Jaguar pipe, not the Walker pipe or other maker's pipes, just because it was not too much more money and i liked the original round resonator. Next.... I cut my pipe a couple feet after the resonator and welded it to the existing tail pipe that included the mufflers. It would have been much more of a headache to put the entire pipe in. Lastly, you CAN buy a flex pipe, without the rest of the factory pipe (so no resonator) and weld it to the pipe directly behind the flex pipe, but these aftermarket flex pipes are universal fitting and as such, universally cheap garbage. I had one installed before i installed the OEM Jaguar pipe which only lasted a few years, so i knew i wasn't doing that again and to save money i did it myself the next time. A muffler shop will install a universal flex pipe for around 300 bucks (mine was even lower than that), but again, it didn't last long, mainly due to the outer bands being made of steel, and you know what happened from that... It rusted away fast. Anyway, if you have access to a MIG you can easily install an OEM Jaguar resonator assembly for the cost of the pipe, or, try your luck at installing the entire thing, which if I'm not mistaken, still needs to be welded in back. Best luck

Old 02-01-2024, 10:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 392 Likes on 289 Posts

Not if you want a headache

Old 04-01-2024, 03:35 PM
Received 177 Likes on 101 Posts

oops