X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found: Adjustable rear upper control arm

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 05:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
D Nok, those look like the ones that I put on my car. The only thing that you will need to do is remove the locking nut at the heim joint. This will allow you to screw in the heim joint just the little bit more that is needed to ensure the rear wheels can get a proper alignment.
Yes mate i understood what you did 👍 Great solution by the way. Uk seems hard to get the parts or if i do find them they are crazy expensive hence me contemplating the American sellers.

Mine has been chewing through rear tires so im extremely happy to find this solution. While im at it im going to do the lower arm that holds the spring and by the looks of things I'll be cutting the lobed bolts off because they are seriously rusted up. Not looking forward to that!
Ive found a bit of a package deal that comes with the arms, bolts, washers etc and includes both bushes in each arm also so i will take that option.

Im also replacing the rear shocks and the anti roll bar links so its adding up to a bit of a spend but at the rate ive been killing off tires i suppose it should pay itself back pretty damn quick!!

Once again, thank you for this solution. Cant beat good old ingenuity

Old 06-18-2019, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Dell Gailey
In another thread, UK member said this after market fix (the parts) not available. So I found the parts, figured I would post here as well. BTW, this is the main mfg. you can search suppliers if this part as well. Here in the US they are about half the cost from UK, same part, lol.

https://redirect.viglink.com/?format...olvo-v40-13%2F
These are the only ones that i can find in the UK but unfortunately not at the price in the original link as the two businesses no longer trade together.
Cheapest i can find them elsewhere (still in the UK) is £170 or £175 and thats quite a chunk more money.

I am torn as to whether to get them or not as obviously they would arrive much sooner. Tis just a shame to spend quite a bit more to do the same job

Old 06-18-2019, 07:06 PM

Tuning Developments

Ok I may have possibly found a price close enough to tempt me into the hardrace ones

Old 06-18-2019, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by lc3566
UPDATE: I've now had this mod done and wow! What a difference! Many, many thanks @Thermo and everyone else on here who has given me advice on this! My long term "squishy" suspension problem is pretty much cured! First thing was, the bushes in the old arms were absolutely shot, I could have almost pressed what was left of them out with my thumb. Secondly, the aftermarket volvo arms weigh more than twice as much as the original Jag ones. Way more solid, way better quality - If you have to replace your upper arms for any reason at all - buy these instead of Jag arms without hesitation, almost half the price too! The arms I got differ from Thermo's in that they had 2 nuts to lock the adjuster down instead of 1. This meant we only had to remove one nut to fit them, leaving the other in place so we didn't have to rely on the pinch bolt & loctite to fix the adjuster in place. I had to do some searching as these arms aren't as easy to find in the UK, you can get them here: S40/V50 04-12, C30 07-13 PFS Adjustable Upper Rear Suspension Arm-Pair
Thanks again!
In my ignorance i didnt check this link as given the post date i expected it too be a dead end!
Thank you!!! Saved me some cash and i can get em fast. Happy man indeed 😁

Old 06-18-2019, 09:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 712 Likes on 637 Posts

HARDRACE GLOBAL - FORGED REAR CAMBER KIT?6457-S

If you replace the front lower arms in the rear, make sure you follow the Jag requirement of not torquing the bolts until the car is sitting on the ground.

Last edited by Dell Gailey; 06-18-2019 at 09:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
D Nok (06-19-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 01:56 AM

HARDRACE GLOBAL - FORGED REAR CAMBER KIT?6457-S

If you replace the front lower arms in the rear, make sure you follow the Jag requirement of not torquing the bolts until the car is sitting on the ground.
I replied about these already but for some reason it isnt showing up.
In a nut shell they are no longer available at the price in your original link and are a lot more expensive and i saw no reason to spend around £70 more to do the same job as the other ones.
Thanks for the heads up though and thanks for fitting advice also

Old 06-19-2019, 09:00 AM

Does anybody have the part number for the bolts needed for fitting these? I would like to get new ones just in case but cannot find the part number anywhere. Thanks

Old 06-19-2019, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member

C2S45983

Old 06-19-2019, 04:57 PM

C2S45983

Thanks man. I'll look online for that pdf too cheers

Old 06-19-2019, 08:26 PM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by D Nok
In my ignorance i didnt check this link as given the post date i expected it too be a dead end!
Thank you!!! Saved me some cash and i can get em fast. Happy man indeed 😁
Glad my old post was of use to someone! Better still, those arms are only a quid more than when I bought them. They fit my old 2001 perfectly - as I remember all it took to set the camber was a couple of turns on the wrench & a spirit level.
Thermo's mod astounded the guys at ATS when I took the car in for a full alignment!
Sadly, an uninsured moron ended my X-Type a couple of years ago. As much as I love my XJ8, I still miss the old X-Type sometimes - especially in the snow!

D Nok (06-20-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 01:42 AM

Glad my old post was of use to someone! Better still, those arms are only a quid more than when I bought them. They fit my old 2001 perfectly - as I remember all it took to set the camber was a couple of turns on the wrench & a spirit level.
Thermo's mod astounded the guys at ATS when I took the car in for a full alignment!
Sadly, an uninsured moron ended my X-Type a couple of years ago. As much as I love my XJ8, I still miss the old X-Type sometimes - especially in the snow!
Yes, although I'll be doing the work myself, i cant wait to share this mod with a mechanic friend of mine as when we was discussing the rear camber issue he took great pleasure in telling me there was nothing i could really do about it apart from replace everything in the rear and pray! Ha. All in banter of course nothing malicious.

He is an incredibly knowledgeable lad so its going to be nice to be able to stick my middle finger up at him haha.

Thats a sad way to loose a car man. There is just something very special about the x types isnt there. On paper it is one of the dullest cars ive ever owned and i only went to view one because ive liked the look of them for many years and i love the interiors of the jags but id never actually driven an X. It was at a great price in a preferred colour, dark blue, and had every single toy along with the cream leather.

I spent ages poking around and was shocked at the condition, in a good way, and as soon as i took it for a drive i knew it was coming home with me. Now i honestly cant see me ever not having a jag in some form and im spending a fair bit on this one right now including eeking some more power out of the 2.2 diesel lump so im hoping to have this car around for quite some time as yet.

lc3566 (06-20-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 09:02 AM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes, a lot of people malign the X-Type as not being a "proper Jag" - they couldn't be more wrong. They feel & drive 100% Jag in my opinion. I enjoyed every mile I drove in mine, as old as it was - it never left me stranded. The X-Type gave me the Jaguar bug, couldn't drive anything else now. When I bought the XJ, it felt like a natural progression. Good luck with your mod, I think you'll find it'll transform your car's handling & it will definately save your tyres ;-)

D Nok (06-20-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 09:30 AM

Yes, a lot of people malign the X-Type as not being a "proper Jag" - they couldn't be more wrong. They feel & drive 100% Jag in my opinion. I enjoyed every mile I drove in mine, as old as it was - it never left me stranded. The X-Type gave me the Jaguar bug, couldn't drive anything else now. When I bought the XJ, it felt like a natural progression. Good luck with your mod, I think you'll find it'll transform your car's handling & it will definately save your tyres ;-)
Cheers man. Yeah ive got a soft spot for for the xjr and i like the sv8 and xfr.
Im sure I'll progress into one although ive always been a die hard automatic hater.
Doubt I'll ever sell the x type though. Not until they go back up in price anyway haha if i can keep it alive long enough

lc3566 (06-20-2019)
Old 08-15-2019, 12:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it better to to get OEM Volvo lower control arms? Or getting arms from ACDelco or Moog still sufficient?
My rear left tire has camber but the right one seems ok, I'm still going to do both sides though.

Old 08-15-2019, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member

This thread is UPPER CONTROL ARMS, the rear front lower arms are entirely different from the thread purpose. They are after market replacement arms, not OEM. The OEM Volvo arms were not adjustable either. Thermo (a member here) took the plunge after researching these to come up with this retrofit. There are some Mazda ones as well.

Read the ENTIRE thread there are links, mfgs, part #'s, etc. for others.

Last edited by Dell Gailey; 08-15-2019 at 04:06 PM.
Old 09-19-2019, 03:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive just passed 193000 miles so am glad to see they are going strong still. Mines a diesel,

Old 11-14-2019, 11:09 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

These are the ones I had fitted:

S40/V50 04-12, C30 07-13 PFS Adjustable Upper Rear Suspension Arm-Pair

Been on for 18 months (have since retired the car for other reasons) never had a moments trouble with them, solid as a rock. We set them with a spirit level initially, had them checked by an alignment guy - they never needed touching again!
I just had these same ones fitted to my 05. Garage put them on and said they caused issues with the tow(alignment). Said they were having a heck of a time getting the tow set properly due to the new arms being longer then the stock ones. I picked it up from garage during snowstorm, and the back-end feels like its sliding around on me. Tires are nice and straight now, but it feels real greasy when going from dry pavement to snow covered. I never had this issue with the stock arms, but tire wear was crazy. I do have a broke front sway bar end link, but doubt it would cause the sliding feeling i'm getting. Before replacing these I replaced the rear front lower control arms so I think I can rule them out as a possible culprit.

Old 11-14-2019, 02:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 586 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by Jag!55pp
I just had these same ones fitted to my 05. Garage put them on and said they caused issues with the tow(alignment). Said they were having a heck of a time getting the tow set properly due to the new arms being longer then the stock ones. I picked it up from garage during snowstorm, and the back-end feels like its sliding around on me. Tires are nice and straight now, but it feels real greasy when going from dry pavement to snow covered. I never had this issue with the stock arms, but tire wear was crazy. I do have a broke front sway bar end link, but doubt it would cause the sliding feeling i'm getting. Before replacing these I replaced the rear front lower control arms so I think I can rule them out as a possible culprit.
Did your remove the nut so that the piece can be threaded further into the arm?
Go back and read the original posts and look at the images of what was done to shorten them some.

Old 11-14-2019, 04:07 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,842 Likes on 3,159 Posts

Remove the nut on the short piece that screws into the arm. That has to be removed to get things to the proper length.

Old 11-14-2019, 04:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks, that's what I thought when I looked under and saw both nuts left on it. Will bring it back and let them know. Might try it myself now that they loosened the bolts for me.Except for the 3 inches of snow in my driveway, it shouldn't be to hard to do.

Quick Reply: Found: Adjustable rear upper control arm