X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front abs sensor problem/size

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 03:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front abs sensor problem/size

I have a 2006 x type wagon. a couple years ago, i had to change the front driver wheel bearing. I didnt buy it from the dealership, but it does have the magnetic ring (built into the actual bearing as the original did). In all this process, but not 100% sure how it happened other than it was stuck in the hub, the tip of the original abs sensor broke. okay so went to a local auto store bought it. seemed to fit in okay. but ever since (2 years ago) the abs light has been on. never jumped ABS codes or took it in to get checked, but it all seemed to happen after this. Well, I thought maybe I inserted the wheel bearing wrong. magentic side was towards the sensor, but I didnt have a press back then, and kind of knocked it apart, hammer/pressing it in. well i changed it out, still no change. well, yesterday. I have a press now. was able to seat everything perfect in the hub. but noticed the sensors tip seemed just to come down to the top of the magnetic ring but barely. was curious about the passanger side for one, if the bearing was fully seated (there was no clip) and if that sensor came down more. well, that was is also stuck in the hub didtn want to risk breaking it so I went and was able to look behind it. for one the bearing is fully seated, but then i noticed the sensor comes almost all the way across the magnetic ring but of course a small space before it would contact the actual axle shaft. so i am wondering now if the problem is that the sensor is not across the magnetic ring enough to detect anything.

well, i measured the replacement sensor I bought and from the point it contacts the hub to the actual end of the sensor. is exactly 1 inch. i was thinking on trying to remove the passanger side and measure it this morning, just worried it will snap when taking it out. Does anyone know the length of the original? if any difference. I hate to just go to the dealer and buy one and the length itself is no different. if it is even the problem. but it makes more sense since nothing else I have done is working.

this time before yesterday's bearing replacement I had tried to press one in and pushed the center of the bearing out to where the bearing grease all came out. since I did that, the abs was acting wierd (light would go off, and activate ABS, then transmission light once went on and then off, brake light go on) you could stop the car but i believe it's all that driver front side,

because since yesterday I had replaced it and the abs sensor light jsut go on with no antilock brakes. which is the same it did 2 years ago.. so I am thinking its all on this side.

Old 08-27-2017, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 155 Likes on 128 Posts

You really should get the error codes read. Without them you're just guessing. This thread might be of some help. I found post #14 very interesting.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...change-175802/