X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front ABS Sensor Test Please

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 08:11 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Front ABS Sensor Test Please

Replaced both Front wheel bearings on the car. 2005 3.0, Wasn't sure about the magnetic side, I asked the mechanic to put that side inside, he said he did. Tonight I removed both front sensors and placed a small screw driver down into the hole, the magnet pulls the drive inward so I know at least the bearings are correct.

But here is what I found, one of the metal pins in the right front sensor was bent and was not connected to the connector, I managed to straighten the pin to normal and connect the plug on as it should be there. Thought I had it, installed the sensors, put on the wheels, light came on when starting and went out. About 1/10th mile down the road came on again.

Here is the question? I been reading, can I connect the sensor to a meter, run the magnet past the sensor and get a reading? I tried to do this on both sensors, not seeing anything. l also put them close to a new bearing and spun the bearing and did not see anything. Also checked resistance on the leads, shows completely open circuit.

If the light was on because of the pin, does the computer need to be cleared for the light to go away or correcting the bent pin it would go away simply by correcting the problem?

Can they be tested this way? I know the back sensors are different than the front. Are the fronts like small electrical generators, is it creating a pulse of electricity?

Thanks again ....

Last edited by lynnpt2001; 01-30-2017 at 08:14 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Probably need a scope. Spin wheel. Don't need a magnet.

Or use OE-type diag. tool.

Old 01-31-2017, 02:26 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How does it work can

Can someone describe how this sensor works. It's obviously using magnetism. Why do some say it should create electrical pulses with a magnet. Why do some say you can test with a meter. Will the light go out when the issue is fixed without clearing code.

Last edited by lynnpt2001; 01-31-2017 at 02:29 AM.