Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front License Plate Holder

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 01:09 AM
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Front License Plate Holder

Hi again folks-

My 2002 X-Type came without a front license plate mount attached to the car. I had no idea it was required in California until a buddy of mine told me the other day. Sure enough, I looked it up in the DMV guidelines and the law does exist. A car in California must have a front and rear license plate displayed at all times.

So, I called up the guy who I bought the car from and asked "hey, where is the other license plate?" (since in California you are issued TWO) and he was like "oh yeah, there is another one but I can't remember where I put it!" So anyhow, he is looking for that and I will check with him in a couple days.

I also did a little online research and it seems most luxury car owners like to leave the front license plate and mount off the cars as it ruins the "lines" of a car visually. I agree...it looks so much sweeter without that plate sticking out. Many people have said the police won't even mess with you about it UNLESS they pull you over for something else...then they will add it in as a fix-it type ticket. Has anyone found this to be true? Any "officers of the law" care to chime in here? LOL

Anyhow, my other concern is I like to go out and have a beer or two and I am pretty safe about my limits so I can safely drive...HOWEVER now I would feel like I would be a target for the police without a plate up front and being that my windows are tinted. Thoughts on this please.

If worse comes to worse I might have to mount a plate (which has never been done in this cars 14 year lifetime...no holes at all upfront) so I also wonder is there a mounting plate that is contoured to the shape of the bumper so it at least looks like it has a flow? If you know of one please leave me a link below. Do you just drill through the bumper (cringe)?

All thoughts welcome. Sorry for a silly question, but I might as well get it out of the way! Thanks

peace out,
daddylogan

Old 08-05-2016, 06:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

I moved from the bay area in California a couple of years ago. I drove my Jags all over Northern California without the front license plate. There was just no way I was going to drill holes in the bumper cover. I did receive a warranted speeding ticket in my XK8 but they never bothered to look at the front for a plate.
Nebraska also requires front plates and again my XK8 and XJ8 don't have them. When I bought the X-Type someone had already used self drilling screws and mounted the plate to the bumper cover. At least the legislature here is sympathetic to high end cars. Starting in January we pay $50.00 for a windshield sticker that exempts us from the front license plate.

Old 08-05-2016, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

I would think he should have gotten a front mounting plate when he bought the car. I don't think they are an accessory. It might be in the same spot where the from plate is. If not, you should be able to easily find an OEM one for sale online. I think they are like $50-$60 or you could check a junkyard.

I wouldn't be that concerned about drilling a couple holes in the bumper. There are thousands and thousands of X-Types with a front licence plate holder.

Old 08-05-2016, 01:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't drive for 5 minutes in NY without a front plate (because I assume I would be pulled over immediately). Everyone has front plates here and seems to be good about plates in general.

A couple of years ago I did a week long motorcycle trip in California with my girlfriend. I keep remarking to her that there were so many cars without license plates, or some bullshit papers in the back window. It really was noticeable. And, of course, karma decided to have the license plate fall off of my girlfriends rental motorcycle halfway through the trip. Figured it might be an issue, but we went from Modesto to LA without so much as a glance from the police.

Anywho, in my opinion a front plate doesn't look too bad on the X-type. There is a big, blank space in the front bumper for it anyway, so it sort of fits.

Old 08-06-2016, 07:53 PM
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

What do you guys think of this? I like it...this might be the ticket (or not the ticket!) ;-)

Show N Go Retractable License Plate Frame - PFYC.com

peace out,
daddylogan

Old 08-07-2016, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

If it was me, I would jest get the OEM bracket and be done with it. If you are going to use the car as pretty much a daily driver it would be deployed most of the time anyway. Plus, in looking at the pictures I think I like the OEM look better than the low position when that thing is deployed. I also think the OEM solution looks better than the way the retractable mount looks. Just my two cents, it's your car and if you like it, go for it. That's all that matters.

Old 09-12-2016, 08:03 PM
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Buy some sheet of aluminum or plastic and make your self a clip on license plate holder.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:57 PM
Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

I never took the chance on getting pulled over for 'No front Plate' in my XK8, and put up with a clumsy front plate holder for years, but when I bought my V8V, which came from a province that didn't require front plates, I was without a holder, and decided to wing it. Sure enough, about a month later, I got pulled over by some 'eager beaver OPP' who warned me about all sorts of dire consequences if he caught me again without a front plate. I finally stuck one on the front of the car with double-sided foam tape, and it sort-of works, but I don't understand why Car Dealers here get to drive cars all over with just a rear plate in a plastic hanger on the back of the vehicle, and I have to destroy the looks of the front of my car (not to mention the air-flow to the rad/ac) just to comply with some arbitrary law. Makes me feel......discriminated against!

Can't I sue someone???