X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front license plate holder?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 02:45 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Front license plate holder?

I'm picking up my 2003 X-Type from a private seller in PA. I live in MD. PA does not require a front plate. MD does. So... I need a plate holder. My father found one in a boneyard for a 2005 X-16. Will that fit the X-Type?

Thanks,

Old 01-02-2013, 03:39 PM
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

Any auto parts store should have a front license plate bracket. Here comes the painful part. You will have to drill a couple holes to mount the bracket. This still has not been done on mine because I really don't want to put holes in my new ride.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:29 PM

My car has a single, small dent as a factory hole starter, dead center in the front bumper. Looks like a bracket would mount to that using one center screw, and then the plate mounts to the bracket?

Old 01-02-2013, 08:09 PM
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

Most brackets use two holes, but tightened down good one in the middle would do. Yes, bracket attaches to vehicle, plate attaches to bracket

Old 01-02-2013, 11:55 PM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

The OEM Factory part number for the bracket is C2S340. It fits all years of the X-Type.

I had to replace mine, and spent about $50 USD on it.

This diagram is from this website, and they want about the same price. It is possible you might need the part identified as #17, also - I can't really remember, mine had a front plate as original, I was replacing a busted frame.

I might mention that the very first time you park close a high curb, put it in Park, take your foot off the brake and roll 2 inches forward and barely tap the damned curb, you will bust it, too.

The problems with any other solution are:
a) It won't look as good as the OEM Factory part, and
b) If the plate is "free hanging" from some other type of bracket, it is going to bend the plate - possibly rip it right off - at the speeds your new X-Type is capable of going.

It is too bad that so many US States require a front plate. It tends to "ruin the lines" of so many cars.

(Just another "The Mark 'o the Beast" courtesy of the New World Order, methinks)

Attached Thumbnails Front license plate holder?-4735010.jpg  
Old 01-03-2013, 12:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 181 Posts

Off topic: But front number plate on my X308 was screwed to the bumper.Looked awful, so i had a black plastic one made up and bolted through the bottom of the bar.Having the two screw holes repaired and the entire bumper re-painted.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Gippsland
Off topic: But front number plate on my X308 was screwed to the bumper.Looked awful, so i had a black plastic one made up and bolted through the bottom of the bar.Having the two screw holes repaired and the entire bumper re-painted.
I'd love to do just that, but you've got the long, skinny European style tags. The US tags are shorter and wider, not as sleek. I don't believe they'd fit under the bumper.

There is a way to request the European-style tags here in the US, for more money, of course. Perhaps I should investigate that.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:19 AM
Received 255 Likes on 143 Posts

Before you mount plates on the lower Delector (bar), take a look inside and see what's there. The transmission and steering coolers are mounted there (Engine oil cooler on some models), dont block the airflow or you will have problems.

I dont like mounting any plates to the bumper but hey, they have been mounted there for years, this is not new! I dont want to give a Law-Enforcement Officer any reason to pull me over! Most of the Parts sites listed the price at around $50 +.

Last edited by reyesl; 01-05-2013 at 04:35 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:24 AM
Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by Bruce in North Dakota
[SIZE=2]The OEM Factory part number for the bracket is C2S340
[SIZE=2]I might mention that the very first time[SIZE=2] you [SIZE=2]park close a high curb, put it in Park[SIZE=2], take your foot off the[SIZE=2] brake and roll 2 inches forward and barely tap the damned curb, you will bust it[SIZE=2], too.
Bruce,
I often smile when you Americans (as so often seen in Movies) get the roll-forward thing - just before getting out of their cars ?

The solution is simple..... apply the Park Brake (hand brake) before releasing the foot brake - then the car cannot move.

Cheers

Last edited by Lcgi; 01-04-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:23 AM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

Lcgi,

Here in the U.S., it is almost always referred to as the "Emergency Brake".

You know; for "Emergencies".

Geesh... I had never thought about using it for something like just parking.

(Guess you learn something every day!)

I had just kept thinking it was a bad license plate holder design, having gone through two of them now.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:29 AM
Arrow

Originally Posted by Bruce in North Dakota
Lcgi,

Here in the U.S., it is almost always referred to as the "Emergency Brake".

You know; for "Emergencies".

Geesh... I had never thought about using it for something like just parking.

(Guess you learn something every day!)

I had just kept thinking it was a bad license plate holder design, having gone through two of them now.
Hi Bruce,
I guess the (other) main use for the Hand Brake..... is for those folks with Clutch and Manual Gears - essential for a Hill Start. I mean, how else can one avoid rolling back - in such circumstances ??

To call it an 'emergency brake'.... is a poor definition for its intended purpose(s)

Cheers...

Old 01-04-2013, 12:32 PM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

>I mean, how else can one avoid rolling back - in such circumstances ??

Well..., by learning how to drive when living in hilly country.

Clearly something not necessary in Oz, (i.e., the flattest continent on earth... ;-)

Seriously, with a manual transmission you start out with your foot on the brake and the clutch and slowly start to release the clutch. The engine will take the load of the car as the clutch slips while at the same time you move your foot to the accelerator and begin applying enough gas to keep the engine from stalling. No rolling back.

You do the same thing with a motorcycle since (ta, da) it has no parking brake... :-)
================================================
Jaguar - it's not an automobile, it's a Motorcar

Old 01-04-2013, 01:04 PM
Arrow

Originally Posted by pab
>I mean, how else can one avoid rolling back - in such circumstances ??

Well..., by learning how to drive when living in hilly country.

Clearly something not necessary in Oz, (i.e., the flattest continent on earth... ;-)

Seriously, with a manual transmission you start out with your foot on the brake and the clutch and slowly start to release the clutch. The engine will take the load of the car as the clutch slips while at the same time you move your foot to the accelerator and begin applying enough gas to keep the engine from stalling. No rolling back.

You do the same thing with a motorcycle since (ta, da) it has no parking brake... :-)
Pab,
Clearly you know as much about Australia's Geography as you do about proper driving of Motorised Vehicles.
Most motorcycles have independant front and rear brakes, you can take your pick which of those to use for hill starts - as per the park/hand brake scenario.

Dunno who taught you to drive mate..... but, releasing a flywheel clutch with foot brakes engaged is mechanically incorrect and just plain foolish.

I suggest you consult with ANY Driving School / Driving Instructor.... in order to get the proper concept and method in your mind.

Cheers,

Last edited by Lcgi; 01-04-2013 at 01:11 PM. Reason: typo's
Old 01-04-2013, 02:21 PM

It's called a Parking Brake, right? Used for Parking.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:53 PM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

>Clearly you know as much about Australia's Geography as you do about proper driving of Motorised Vehicles.

Sure, just joking with you mate!

But yes, you are correct about front/rear brakes on a motorcycle, it was a so-so example. But with a car on a hill using the "parking" brake is one more control that the driver has to manipulate while beginning to move (left foot - clutch, right foot - gas, left (or in your case right...) hand steering wheel, right hand (ya, reversed for you down-under types...) brake lever.

While parked on a hill, with a standard transmission, I've always stepped off the brake WHILE releasing the clutch. The inertia of the car combined with the clutch beginning to release will always give the driver the chance to begin to begin acceleration while the clutch is being released. There is no need to manipulate the "emergency" brake lever.

And I once saw a nature program where they stated that Australia has been geologically stable for SO... long that most of the mountains have eroded away and that, overall, it is the flattest continent. From the pictures it seemed to make sense (i.e., the out back seemed pretty damn big and other than Ayres rock it seemed pretty damn flat, too).

Cheers

Old 01-04-2013, 06:43 PM
Arrow

Originally Posted by rclangelan
It's called a Parking Brake, right? Used for Parking.
RC,
Depends where you come from I suppose...... In Australia and UK - its invariably just called the 'Hand-brake'.

Its recommended to be used for; Parking, Hill-starts and when all else fails.... as the remaining means to stop the motion of a rolling vehicle.

Cheers,

Old 01-04-2013, 08:07 PM
Arrow

[QUOTE=pab;650787]>Clearly you know as much about Australia's Geography as you do about proper driving of Motorised Vehicles.

Sure, just joking with you mate!

{snipped}

While parked on a hill, with a standard transmission, I've always stepped off the brake WHILE releasing the clutch. The inertia of the car combined with the clutch beginning to release will always give the driver the chance to begin to begin acceleration while the clutch is being released. There is no need to manipulate the "emergency" brake lever.

{snipped}

Hi Pab,
RE: Hill Starts.
Much depends on the inclination you are dealing with and how steep it may be. However, the fact remains.... for proper control of a vehicle by the use of a flywheel & clutch you MUST have control of Flywheel speed (engine revs) unless you have three legs, that is not possible if you have one foot on Power Assisted Brakes and engine only idling.... The moment you release the PAB's and while sliding your foot across to accelerator - for that spit second, the car is moving, is out of direct control, and often moving in the opposite direction. (hence the Roll-back)

In standard Driving Tests.... in addition to road rules and general knowledge, key driver skills are assessed, some of which are; Reverse-parking, three point-turn, emergency-stop AND Hill-starts etc,.

In the latter, any uncontrolled movement of the car - will result in a mandatory FAILED TEST.

Your stated habit would never allow you to pass a Test or posses a Driving License.

Still not convinced... then try this;
If you know someone with a steep driveway, park your car at the bottom and try to climb the drive (forward or reverse) without using the hand brake. I will bet money you will roll and most likely stall the motor - before your foot hits the gas.

Remember the general advice, as given to motorists about speed and brake-reaction time ? - the same applies here my friend.... so, please take care and do this right.

Cheers,

Last edited by Lcgi; 01-04-2013 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 01-05-2013, 05:33 AM
Received 255 Likes on 143 Posts

I thought this was a thread on "Plate Holders"?

Old 01-05-2013, 09:51 AM
Arrow

Originally Posted by reyesl
I thought this was a thread on "Plate Holders"?
And..... your contribution to that topic is....?

Old 01-05-2013, 02:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rclangelan
I'm picking up my 2003 X-Type from a private seller in PA. I live in MD. PA does not require a front plate. MD does. So... I need a plate holder. My father found one in a boneyard for a 2005 X-16. Will that fit the X-Type?

Thanks,
You most likely already did this, but if not maybe you can. Check the trunk. If a plate is not required on the front, I have seen many dealers leave them in the trunk with the spare tire.

Just food for thought

The following users liked this post:
Bill400 (01-05-2013)

Quick Reply: Front license plate holder?