X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Wheel Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 01:28 PM
Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Front Wheel Sensor

Hey Tech Guys.. I just came back from the shop and they told me that my right front wheel sensor was going bad... 700.00 repair.. i will not pay that. has anyone changed this b4? is it a DIYS project or not ?

Old 01-04-2010, 03:19 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Don, THEY WANT HOW MUCH FOR WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ok, assuming that only the sensor is bad, I will summarize it for you right here:
-jack up corner of car and place on jack stand
-remove 5 lug nuts, set wheel off to the side
-remove the torx bolt holding the speed sensor to the spindle
-lift the sensor straight out (gentle twist to get things loose may be necessary)
-disconnect electrical plug

TADA!!!!!! The front wheel speed sensor is not out. Reassembly is going in reverse. Now, if you have a bad hub assembly (where the speed sensor picks up the speed of the wheel), that is a bit more involved as you have to replace the wheel hub. If this is the case, then let me know.

The speed isn't that much. If you have a JTIS CD, look up section 206-09 (Anti-Lock Control) and then look in the "Removal and Installation" section. All the instructions are right there for the speed sensor.

If you need anything more, let me know.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:33 PM
Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking speed sensor

I didn't think that it was that difficult, but for what they was talking about charging me for labor .. i had to second guess.. just to let you know my technical ability. I did change my compressor alone. So if it isn't that hard then i'm in good shape huh?

just to give you my symptoms: abs and DSC lights comes on intermittently so i took it to a jaguar dealership and that's what i was told

DO you know where i can possibly purchase a wheel sensor ?

thx for the response and help!!!

Old 01-05-2010, 12:56 PM
ud
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

there is a sensor, and then there is the pulse generating magnetic ring which is part of the front wheel bearing.

If you need the ring replace (I have had 2 go bad on me) then you need a new bearing.
You can either pay for just the bearing and add a lot of labour, and risk of a screw up, or get the front knuckle complete with the bearing in it.

to replace the knuckle should be about an hour. They will try to charge you three hours, but I can do it at home in an hour.

Old 01-05-2010, 03:45 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Don, first, start with a member here that goes by "Ken@britishparts.com". Send an e-mail to him and he should be able to hook you up. If he can't get you the part, check with http://www.jaguarparts.com. They are a dealership in Cleveland Ohio and they will be able to get you the part(s) you need. may want to pull out the sensor and see if you can get a good look inside to make sure you don't have a sensing ring issue. Might as well get all the parts so the car is only down once vice multiple times fixing one thing at a shot.