X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TC Fluid Changes!?!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 10:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TC Fluid Changes!?!!

Ok guys, after reading all these threads about TC fluid changes, I am scared for my x-type. I am currently at 50k Miles and I want to do the change this weekend. Can someone point me in the right direction on obtaining a kit or how I can make one myself. These threads are overwhelming and I am scared I will mess up. I currently have two rams that I use to change my motor oil. Will those be sufficient? I have many sparrows and wrenches. I plan on doing this weekend if weather permits.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:53 PM
ud
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

rams, sparrows?
not sure what the wildlife will do to help?

Old 01-05-2010, 03:51 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

gupdah, the way that I did it in my car is I went to the hardware store and bought an adapter (1/2" male NPT thread to 1/4" female NPT thread). Then stop by your auto parts store (probably need a bigger one, I got mine at Pep Boys) and get yourself a radiator drain plug with a collar (this will be obvious as most will have just a T handle on top, the one with a collar will have what looks like a 9mm casing attached to the T-handle). Attach the drain plug to the adapter, file off the flats on the adapter (DO NOT!!!! touch the flats on the drain plug), install the assembly into your transfer case using the flats on the drain valve, then attach your tygon hose into the collar of the valve (easiest to do if the T-handle is closest to the transfer case-ie, valve shut), then with the valve open, add your fluid. Sounds more difficult than what it really is. Probably the hardest part of it all is filing down the flats of the adapter if you don't have a bench grinder or something of the like.

Old 01-05-2010, 05:51 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

maybe this ?

http://www.fumotousa.com/

is the tread size the same on the TC as it is in the oilpan drain ?

Old 01-05-2010, 06:41 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Strate, I see 2 problems with that part. First, the threads for the transfer case are standard threads (1/2" NPT) where the oil pan is a metric plug. So, highly unlikely that the two would cross. Secondly, the flip valve piece that you are showing will not screw into the transfer case unless it was on a long extension due to the hole for the plug being up tight against the body of the transfer case. Then if you got the long extension, then you would not have any room to plug in a hose on the other side. That is what makes this project a bit intimidating for the backyard mechanic.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:21 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I can imagine. I have a rear differential fluid change planned for the spring I wonder how thats going to go.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:51 PM
Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

I used this valve;
http://www.muttonpower.com/store/p-2...-755-14-s.aspx

which I got from the local hardware store for $12, and a 3/8 to 1/2 bushing.

However after a couple months I decided to replace this with the OE magnetic plug. Both because I was a bit worried about the valve leaking, and also because someone made a point that the magnet in the plug is the only form of filtering the TC gets.

So I went with the method I saw a tech mention on here. Jack the passenger side of the vehicle up, with the plug out, to drain as much oil as possible, then lower it, and jack up the drivers side until the pinch weld was 2 feet off the floor and fill to the bottom of the hole. That way you can fill it and replace the plug without spilling (too much anyway) oil.

I also got the synthetic gear oil (that meets the odd Jaguar spec called out) from a Ford dealer for $19 a quart.