X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fronts popping

Old 01-09-2010, 09:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking fronts popping

I seem to have to replace my front bulbs quite a bit.I have only had the car six months or so and replaced 3 fronts so far and on way to buy fourth..gonna try local auto shop,for the bulb figure i should find it.I have fixed the pulling problem.Broken tread and underinflation...wow im a noob.I dont think i have a short on the lights but assume they just go due to the poor electrical planning when engineering the car IDK,,any help...Thanx THERMO in advance.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:14 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also have a 2004 XType and have yet to change any of the lights on the front of my car, and I have owned it for many years already.

In your case there has to be a short some place, possibly an exposed wire that is touching metal causing it to blow out your lights. OR a bad ground for the lights, even a bad light socket itself.

Take it to a professional and have them check all the wiring, unless you have the patience to trace them yourself..

GL

Old 01-09-2010, 02:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Irish, it's most likely going to be your bulb connectors. If you've got the original one piece connectors and H1 bulbs look for any signs they have started to melt.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:37 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

IrishXType, both of the posts above are on the right path. Our cars are subject to numerous problems associated with the headlights. What I would suggest is putting in a new bulb and then doing a voltage check between the black wire on the low beam bulb and chassis ground. It should be down under 0.5 VDC. If you are up around 1.0 VDC or higher, then you have a ground wire issue and the fix is simply adding a new ground wire.

You can also look at the bulb base and see if you are seeing signs of it getting too hot (ie, melted plastic, plastic is discolored, etc). If I remember right, you can get some yellow female spade connectors at the hardware store and they will fit on to the bulb posts. Double check before just buying the connectors. The yellow spade connectors are for 16-14 gauge wiring, so, it will be plenty big enough to handle the power and the wiring that is there.

if you need anything more, let me know.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:13 PM
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Logo caught my eye...

Wow, New Riders of the Purple Sage - I haven't heard that name (or seen that logo) for a long-*** time, Mohrd.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:40 AM

if I just got the bulbs replaced with hid's would that fix the problem,being that they would replace the coneectors.asuuming that's the problem.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:43 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Irish, yes it could. Keep an eye on the system and we will take it from there.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MeatBag
Wow, New Riders of the Purple Sage - I haven't heard that name (or seen that logo) for a long-*** time, Mohrd.
They have a new album out this past year. Of course never the same since Marmaduke left. He died last July.

Old 01-31-2010, 05:36 PM

Cool all done...lights are working.On a diffrent note.my engine light that was on for the last while just went off...must have been a bunk code eh?..hope so...now on to wheels and tinting......and finishing the front audio...after that .Maybe some paint.

Old 06-27-2010, 04:31 PM

I'm adding to an old post cause ..after replacing mant bulb's...I now see that the piece holing the light has started to melt...as well..the bulb broke out..and left the metle inside piece behind.which presented it's own problem's to get out...I put in the new bulb..and after rigging it with a self made wire to hold it in .it still didn't work seeing the bottom piece ( that the brown and yellow wire go in to.)is a little melted im hopeing it's the problem..I cant seem to find a part's numb on it..or even if i can replace it myself..hope so let me know guy's...last thing i need is to be pulled over for it..or worse head down the road in a ball of fire...

Old 06-27-2010, 06:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IrishXtype
I'm adding to an old post cause ..after replacing mant bulb's...I now see that the piece holing the light has started to melt...as well..the bulb broke out..and left the metle inside piece behind.which presented it's own problem's to get out...I put in the new bulb..and after rigging it with a self made wire to hold it in .it still didn't work seeing the bottom piece ( that the brown and yellow wire go in to.)is a little melted im hopeing it's the problem..I cant seem to find a part's numb on it..or even if i can replace it myself..hope so let me know guy's...last thing i need is to be pulled over for it..or worse head down the road in a ball of fire...
So you need a new headlight socket? You should be able to get it from the dealer, otherwise check the local junk yards and see if they have any on hand. If you get it second hand just take it with enough wire so you could splice it all together.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:19 PM

ok.so i am gonna hook it up via a spade conector right to the back of the bilb..cause i cant find the female h1 socket anywhere...I have no voltage meter ..just so ya know...i see there is a brown and a yellow wire..which one is hot...i can do it this way right?...and if I can what do i do with the ground wire...oh ya to top it all off my father in law tried to fix it one day and lost the metal wire that hols it in...hope thats not impotant and i can just rig something in it's place

Old 08-06-2010, 11:49 PM
Veteran Member

Irish, it's been a while but I think I remember the colors and I know I don't want to go and look. Yellow wire to the H1 and the brown wire can connect to a male spade/tab that is right by where the wire clip, your dad-in-law lost, fastens. Don't know why that tab is there but it is perfect for the ground connection.

Yup you need that clip. There was just a post just a couple days ago about replacing the clip.

I replaced my melted bulb holder three years ago with the two piece connector as above and never had a problem since.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:01 AM

so Ive hooke up spade coneectors to both wire..yellow is hot..brown is ground.still it will not work..is that wire fastener,complete the circut or somethimg..cause i just placed the ground on the headlamp tab.the power to the back and nothing....I.m lookung in to h1 hid kits..but i reacently moved to the boondocks.and they got nuttin up here.Gonna have to order them.QUESTION..since i just cut off the pig tail for my headlamp can i still hook up hid's my self easily..and I see thermo says use hid kits with ballasts inc..rather than not is this correct..