Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gearbox Fault & DSC System Fault

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 09:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Gearbox Fault & DSC System Fault

I was driving from Jacksonville, FL to Dallas TX over the weekend (about 1200 miles). I drove half was on Saturday in mostly sunshine but ran into some rain the last hour or so. Sunday morning I go to breakfast and everything is fine with the Jag but when I start it up after breakfast I get the subject messages and the car goes into limp home mode. I find an empty parking lot close by and go online with my phone to figure out what the problem. I should mention here that it's about 35 degrees F. After about 10 minutes, I start the car again and everything is fine, no faults, no limp home mode, just a check engine light. I drive the car the rest of the way home without any problems. I start it this morning and even the check engine light is out and everything is running perfectly. The temperature this morning was about the same as yesterday. The car is a 2002 X-Type 3.0 with a little over 100,000 miles. I had the Jacksonville Jag dealer perform the 100,000 mile maintenance on it and the tech said everything looked good. Does anyone have an idea as to what happened yesterday? I'd like to find an explanation or a problem before I get stranded some place. Thanks,

Mark

Old 12-13-2010, 11:01 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would say your battery is on its way out. If your comp doesnt read a certain voltage it throws those codes. Would explain the ghostly readouts. Sounds odd but i bet its it.

You can look up other posts about it. Even when my buddy was towin me to the shop i had the key turned forward and those were the first to pop up when my battery was gettin low.

Hope it helps.

BTW Our Jags are sensitive, i believe the voltage has to be over 11 to have no issues.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:15 AM
Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts

It could very well be your battery.. Check and verify that you have the correct voltages. I had this problem about 2 years ago.. i would get intermittened DSC FAULT + GEAR BOX FAULT.. until it decided to completely give out.. well i was told by the dealer it was my transmission control module TCM it was shorting out..

Old 12-14-2010, 03:46 PM
Veteran Member

The Jaguar dealer in Plano, TX (just north of Dallas) where I took my car is telling me that the problem is the throttle body, which I'm not sure makes sense. I'm a nuclear engineer but am not all that knowledgable in the area of internal combustion engines. Does this sound right to you guys? The dealer quited me $2000. I'll pay it but I don't know this dealer yet and I'm not sure I believe him.

Mark

Old 12-14-2010, 09:56 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by mjlaris
The Jaguar dealer in Plano, TX (just north of Dallas) where I took my car is telling me that the problem is the throttle body, which I'm not sure makes sense. I'm a nuclear engineer but am not all that knowledgable in the area of internal combustion engines. Does this sound right to you guys? The dealer quited me $2000. I'll pay it but I don't know this dealer yet and I'm not sure I believe him.

Mark
I'm no expert either, but I an old gearhead (read pre-computer era), and I'd say that if the computer is giving gear box faults then the problem should be in the transmission not the intake system.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:31 PM

Whooooooaaaaaaaaaaaa............ 2 grand??????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I find it hard to believe you have issues with your throttle body or transmission. If you did, YOU would notice. This is an electrical issue. I say change your battery. Whats your year and milage? When was the last time the battery was changed?

Possibly even a vacuum leak.

When your trans or throttle body is bad, ITS BAD!!! It does not fix itself like your saying.

I could be wrong and this is just my .02

But a battery is A LOT cheaper than 2000 dollars for a part that costs less than 400 dollar throttle body, even less used and easy to do yourself.

Good luck

Last edited by I <3 X-Type; 12-14-2010 at 10:39 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:44 AM
Veteran Member

Doing some research on the Internet I found a very interesting thread on roadfly.com:

http://forums.roadfly.com/forums/jag...7487970-1.html

As I understand from reading the above thread, there is a sensor in the throttle body that is easily broken and causes the computer to kick out these exact error messages. The sensor is intergral to the throttle body and cannot be replaces seperately. The replacement cost is around $2000 based on the experience of several posters in the above thread.

Mark

Old 12-15-2010, 10:46 PM

If that is fact the case....EBAY dude. Can get them for under 400 bucks. Do it yourself. I however would not be able to sleep at night payin 2000 dollars, yet alone 400 for a freakin throttle body. Look around.

Old 12-16-2010, 03:12 AM
Veteran Member

I found one on eBay for $99; looks like I know how I'm spending next weekend. Thanks to everyone in this forum, I feel I have a much better understanding of this issue because of your input.

Mark