X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Gearbox fault" & "Security Fail" Messages.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 11:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "Gearbox fault" & "Security Fail" Messages.

So upsettings things happened for my 03 xtype today, got a message saying cruise was not avalible and had an orange light on the speedo gauge. Very shortly after got the dreaded flashing check engine light. Went some shortly after to plug in my obd reader to find out the car developed a miss in cylinder 4 due to an ignition coil failure. Ended up getting 6 new plugs and coils online so that should be good in a few days.

However, following this new issue the vehicle obviously showed the "cruise not available" message. Which from what I understand is commonly caused by vacuum leaks that more often then not are really easy fixes. For the more confusing issue, the car also displayed a "security failure" and "gearbox fault" message on the message screen when the ignition was put onto the second setting. Seemed to go away once engine was started. Not sure if I should be actually worried, I know my trans needs fluid but besides that it seemed healthy. The security failure message is interesting. Since now when the car is locked the light above the traction control button flashes red when locked.

This leads me to believe that I may have an electrical issue that is causing these odd and not consistent messages, including maybe the cruise unavailable one. Or on the worse end I have 3 new bad issues besides the miss and my hands are more then full with the car.

All help is very appreciated, thanks in advance!

Old 11-01-2017, 11:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,133 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by AndrewG
So upsettings things happened for my 03 xtype today, got a message saying cruise was not avalible and had an orange light on the speedo gauge. Very shortly after got the dreaded flashing check engine light. Went some shortly after to
This leads me to believe that I may have an electrical issue that is causing these odd and not consistent messages, including maybe the cruise unavailable one. Or on the worse end I have 3 new bad issues besides the miss and my hands are more then full with the car.

All help is very appreciated, thanks in advance!
The most common cause of seemingly unconnected electronic failures such as your car is experiencing is low battery voltage. The very first thing to do is to replace your battery if it is more than 4 years old. The second most common cause: dirty or loose ground connections. I have just gone through exactly the same scenario with a 2005 XJ; in that case it was common ground connections (and the battery needed replacing but that did not fiction the random warning lights). 20 minutes spent accessing, cleaning and tightening the ground connections effected an instant cure.

Old 11-02-2017, 07:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

If those don't fix it, get the codes (incl ABS codes) read.