X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting ready to work on the new X

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 06:46 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Getting ready to work on the new X

I bought my X last weekend. I knew it had a check engine light on when I bought it. Code pull said #6 cylinder miss. I got a new coil in the mail on Friday. I also got new plugs, oil, oil filter, air filter and PVC valve.

I am letting the wife sleep in as we have an 8 week old son and she gets up in middle of the night to take care of him. As soon as she gets up I am heading out to tune it up and hopefully get it running right again.

I tried yesterday to sync my phone to the car using the instructions on here without success, so I am hoping that the tune up will have a better ending. I also got the new fuel door in the mail too. The Daytona 500 is today and the weather is not so great so I hope to at least get the tune up done before I get a soaking.

Old 02-21-2016, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Good luck!

As far as not being able to sync the phone, unless the car has the phone module it won't work and very few cars had that option. If you press the phone button and the display reads something like "no phone" that means you do not have it.

Old 02-21-2016, 04:41 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It does display no phone so I have an almost new Kenwood head unit with bluetooth and phone capabilities so it almost is a no brainer now.

I raised the hood and took off the plastics and found a mouse nest next to the #2 coil. Yep it sat for a while. I got the front plugs changed and the #6 coil with no problems. Coil #6 has had some bad arcing on the end so I am glad I pre ordered the new coil. Started removing the upper intake and one of the bolts in the rubber grommet would just spin. I ended up pulling it out with the insert still attached to the bolt, well this is not going to be good.

I got the insert loose from the bolt and I ended up re-gluing it back in with some quick set J B Weld. I do not know who worked on this car last but it was have been Gorilla Garage as every bolt and the spark plugs were insanely tight. I put anti-seize on all the plugs and intake bolts on reassembly.

Let the J B weld cure and put everything back together. Cleared the codes, crossed my fingers and fired it up. HELL YES!!!! No codes and the X idles and runs superbly!!! Didn't get to chance to change the oil or fuel filter as the rain had set in and I did the intake reassembly in a drizzle.

This is the first time I have ever worked on a Jag so all in all it went pretty well. I can't wait to finish tuning it up, install the fuel door and get to work on cleaning it up. I think this might just work out.

Old 02-21-2016, 06:50 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 389 Posts

I think you're on the way to having a nice Jag..Just be sure to replace all the Fluids and lubes as well soon (coolant, brake fluid, transmission fluid, transfer case lube, rear differential lube) Since it has sat for so long...Money well spent.