X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

getting rear brake disc and pad replaced,any recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 08:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default getting rear brake disc and pad replaced,any recommendation?

i have 2004 x-type 3.0 v6 stick shift, my dealer and firestone also recommended to replace rear brake discs and pads,

but my dealer wants to charge around 500 and firestone around 300,

now i know i can get parts really cheap and install it myself

but what are the best are out there?
because they have 5 pads, then 11.02 or 11.81 dept or something like that and different companies and stuff

so if anyone have done this before please tell me what is best recommended?

thanks

Old 07-06-2010, 09:20 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

email steven@r1concepts.com and tell him ghettomike from cadillac forums sent you and he will give you a good deal.
i would recomend the premium single drilled and slotted rotors and hawk pads, if you want to save some $ just get plain rotors and posi quiet pads. a lot of guys on the cts forum have been happy with the posiquiet pads and plain rotors... i just go with the drilled for the looks and the slotted bites the pads better.

on my gfs x type we put EBC Greenstuff pads, they are good but keep in mind they will sequel for the first 5000km or so, its part of the breaking process of wearing of/in the prepping material on the pads.

try not to skimp on brakes....they are very important

Old 07-07-2010, 06:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

EBC pads (Ultimax, Greenstuff, etc) and rotors (solid or slotted) work great and are reasonably priced. They can be had from a number of online retailers. Centric ceramic pads are also a good choice and not all that pricey.

I don't know what this means:

"because they have 5 pads, then 11.02 or 11.81 dept or something like that and different companies and stuff"

Old 07-07-2010, 10:50 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i was looking at the same stuff on online retailers and in description of each item it says:

BC ULTIMAX PLAIN ROTOR, SOLID, SOLD INDIVIDUALLY -- 5 studs and 11.02 in. diameter; OEM quality replacement rotor made to the same specifications as original parts using G3000 gray iron; Precision machined, balanced, and 100 percent one by one run out inspected to guarantee zero rotor distortion out of the box; Install this brake rotor yourself with the help of EBC's instructional video P/N E35DVD083 which is sold separately.

sometimes it says it is 11.81 inches, so just want to know what that means

Old 07-07-2010, 05:05 PM
ud
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I bought these 3-4k ago, Very nice set up for the price and if they warp (which I have never done to any brakes I've owned) I can buy 2-3 more sets for the same price as a set of EBCs. Nothing against EBCs but unless you track the car or are a redlight racer I'd rather put the time and effort into keeping that brake fluid changed every 2 years. Pads are virtually dust free and are wearing well. Braking was an improvement over the aged stock set up. Nice feel and slight increase in braking noise. Company was great to deal with as it seems I have 04 and older calipers on the rear of my car (a mid 05 build date). They overnighted the right pads with saturday delivery with just a phone call.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jagua...Q5fAccessories

Old 07-08-2010, 06:43 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by maikal_0011
i was looking at the same stuff on online retailers and in description of each item it says:

BC ULTIMAX PLAIN ROTOR, SOLID, SOLD INDIVIDUALLY -- 5 studs and 11.02 in. diameter; OEM quality replacement rotor made to the same specifications as original parts using G3000 gray iron; Precision machined, balanced, and 100 percent one by one run out inspected to guarantee zero rotor distortion out of the box; Install this brake rotor yourself with the help of EBC's instructional video P/N E35DVD083 which is sold separately.

sometimes it says it is 11.81 inches, so just want to know what that means
Oh ok. the "dept" part of your sentence is what threw me off. The 11.81 is the front rotor diameter, 11.02 is the rear.

The EBC's you reference are just solid OEM style rotors, which will work fine and for about $50 front and $35 rear each, price isn't that bad.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by benebob
I bought these 3-4k ago, Very nice set up for the price and if they warp (which I have never done to any brakes I've owned) I can buy 2-3 more sets for the same price as a set of EBCs. Nothing against EBCs but unless you track the car or are a redlight racer I'd rather put the time and effort into keeping that brake fluid changed every 2 years. Pads are virtually dust free and are wearing well. Braking was an improvement over the aged stock set up. Nice feel and slight increase in braking noise. Company was great to deal with as it seems I have 04 and older calipers on the rear of my car (a mid 05 build date). They overnighted the right pads with saturday delivery with just a phone call.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jagua...Q5fAccessories
Hi benebob. I'm looking to purchase the same pads & rotors from this seller, are you still happy with them?

Old 08-08-2010, 10:57 PM
Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

I put new rear brakes on my 07 for 600$ and there great!

Old 08-09-2010, 02:43 PM
ud

Originally Posted by tomjc422
Hi benebob. I'm looking to purchase the same pads & rotors from this seller, are you still happy with them?

Yeah Tom, I'm happy with 'em. Wouldn't be my first choice in a money no object world but then again neither would my X type. Wear nice, a little louder than stock of course but no real brake dust to speak of, good pedal feel (might be from changing fluid at the same time but could have some pad influance. I would suspect to get about 30k out of them. At which time I'll buy another set with rotors and replace it all rather than spending nearly as much for just pads alone.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by benebob
Yeah Tom, I'm happy with 'em. Wouldn't be my first choice in a money no object world but then again neither would my X type. Wear nice, a little louder than stock of course but no real brake dust to speak of, good pedal feel (might be from changing fluid at the same time but could have some pad influance. I would suspect to get about 30k out of them. At which time I'll buy another set with rotors and replace it all rather than spending nearly as much for just pads alone.
Thanks benebob. When you say a little louder, do you mean like squealing?

Old 08-12-2010, 10:10 PM

I got the ebay pads and rotors. The rotors have worked fine and look pretty cool. The pads had some cheap anti rattle clips on them though.. So when i put them in they rattled and made a bunch of noise. So i just spent some money and got the ebc redstuff pads and everything has been good since. If i were to do it again i would just spend the extra dough and get the ebc rotors too for peace of mind.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:34 PM
ud

Originally Posted by Jerry the Jaguar
I got the ebay pads and rotors. The rotors have worked fine and look pretty cool. The pads had some cheap anti rattle clips on them though.. So when i put them in they rattled and made a bunch of noise. So i just spent some money and got the ebc redstuff pads and everything has been good since. If i were to do it again i would just spend the extra dough and get the ebc rotors too for peace of mind.
Must not have gotten them from where I got mine. The ceramic pads are not cheap at all, in fact they sell in the same price range as the EBC ceramics, have a very good reputation and have had non of the same issues. They are branded as Evolution.

No Tom they don't squeal at all they just make a little more brake pad on disk noise which is typical with any drilled or slotted.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:16 PM

[QUOTE=benebob;233991]Must not have gotten them from where I got mine. The ceramic pads are not cheap at all, in fact they sell in the same price range as the EBC ceramics, have a very good reputation and have had non of the same issues. They are branded as Evolution.

No Tom they don't squeal at all they just make a little more brake pad on disk noise which is typical with any drilled or slotted.[/QUOTE

They were the Evolution pads, the rattle clips were pretty bad, especially compared to the EBC's, I could actually move the pad from side to side in the caliper, so it wasn't exactly a proper fit, thus it created a rattle when driving. The EBC's were a perfect fit. Im sure the evolutions would work fine, but i drive with the windows down a lot and that rattle noise was unacceptable.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with brakes

is there anyone in the bay area that will install brakes on my x-type. I am going to get the brakes on ebay, and the local guy wants $250 labor... so anyone any cheaper? or is it hard to replace rotors and brakes on these cars? mine is a 2002 x-type 2.5 . do you have to bleed the brakes after? any help is greatly appreciated!!

Old 10-12-2010, 07:05 AM
Veteran Member

Is it $250 for installing pads and rotors on all 4 wheels? That's probably not all that bad for labor in your area.

That being said, there is really nothing all that special about a brake job on the X type. Winding the rear calipers can be a bit of a pain, but other than that it's straightforward.

Search the forum and you'll find several how-to's for doing the job. No you typically do not need to bleed the system for a pad/rotor job. But...if you haven't had your brake fluid flushed and replaced in a few years now would be a good time to do it.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:27 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cory620
is there anyone in the bay area that will install brakes on my x-type. I am going to get the brakes on ebay, and the local guy wants $250 labor... so anyone any cheaper? or is it hard to replace rotors and brakes on these cars? mine is a 2002 x-type 2.5 . do you have to bleed the brakes after? any help is greatly appreciated!!

My jaw drops evrytime i see some quotes on this forum. Granted ive been workin on cars fro awhile now. Nothing toooo crazy but brake jobs and water pumps, etc...have been done by myself plenty of times. What im saying is you will be surprised just how easy some things are if you did it yourself. Granted it may take you longer the first time but when you see how it works and how simple it is you will honestly sit back, look at it and chuckle. $ 250 dollars richer. I know plenty of mechanics and not sure if you aware of it but when they quote you that $250, thats "book" time. Meaning thats the longest the job should take. So how they make money is charging YOU 2 hours "book" time when they do the job in a half hour. They get paid for 2 hours. Get it? Just sayin if you wanted to tackle it, dont be scared. I have faith in you

Old 10-12-2010, 10:18 PM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Here is my experience with my 2002 XJ8L brakes. I did all the installation labor myself with no problems. Early in 2009 I replaced both front and back brake pads with Duralast Premium semi-metallic pads from AutoZone. I also replaced the rear rotors with new no-name brand ones from a local import parts store. The front rotors didn't seem badly worn so I left them on. It all worked fine; no noise, no squeels, good firm pedal feel, etc. But I was never quite satisfied with the initial "bite" on application. So in early 2010, after 7,500 miles, I installed new front Bremo rotors (a standard replacement part, not the super Bremo brake system) and PosiQuiet CERAMIC pads, bought from the local import parts store. At first I was disappointed because I could not tell any difference for quite a while. But now, after 3,000 miles they feel like a dream! I guess it takes ceramic pads longer to 'set' even with new rotors. No brake dust that I can see. I'm a happy camper!

Old 10-12-2010, 10:29 PM

In my post just sent I forgot something: The Bremo rotors were $90.00 each; the PosiQuiet ceramic pads were $61.50 for the front set.

If you have ever changed rotors and pads on any other car you will be right at home doing it on the Jaguar. At least that was my experience.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:51 PM

My third post in quick succession (At 79 I'm so old I no longer think quickly): I was so pleased with ceramic pads that I installed them as replacements on my daughter's S-Type V6, again with excellent results. The only installation difference I found between the 02 XJ and the 05 S-Type is with the REAR brake caliper piston: it must be reseated by screwing it back; this cannot be done with a
C-clamp. Any auto supply store anywhere will have the special (and inexpensive) socket that makes this a breeze. You can manage to do it without the socket, but why bother?

Old 10-13-2010, 03:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks alot for all the help... I think i will try to tackle the job myself. Wish me luck!!

Quick Reply: getting rear brake disc and pad replaced,any recommendation?