Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good news/bad news

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 05:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good news/bad news

Hello,
So the bad news is that my X Type sport version is totalled. Good news; I was able to purchase it back from the insurance company for $850 plus a check for $4500. It was smashed on the left side front door, fender and wheel. I tried to get it aligned (the camber is way out) but there are some damaged suspension parts. So it's going to stay parked for a while. More bad news; when I tried to find a similar replacement, i.e. 04 or newer sport model 3.0 manual trans, there's none to be found for hundreds of miles. Perhaps this last bit was good news as this would seem to make my Jag a pretty rare cat.
So I'm looking for something else in the same category in other flavors (BMW, MB, Saab, Volvo, VW etc). What I've seen has been very disappointing save one or two candidates (I'll get to them later). The Beemer 3 series couldn't touch my Jag in interior quality, HP, appearance and interior room. The Audi A4 seemed too small on the inside and with so many issues with the 1.8 T I avoided them altogether. The A6 is awful homely and difficult to find with a V6 manual trans. MBs are really overpriced and expensive to maintain. This begs the question; why are so many auto publications are sooo down on the X Type? I don't get it!
Honestly the only two possible candidates were 1) an 03 Passat 1.8T and 2) a 1997 BMW 540i sport. The Passat, though a nicely built auto, it has no pizzaz. I does report to have great MPG and good reliability, but it's just a plain family sedan.
The winner by far (in lieu of an X Type) is the 1997 540i sport. It has all the niceties of the Jag (minus a few items like heated seats and back up sensors) but has a comparable sporty feel and lots of power. It was the MT import car of the year in 1997 and continues to impress auto enthusiasts across the board.
So until my beloved Jag is ready for the road, the Beemer will have to suffice. Its not a half bad substitute, but definitely NOT at Jag.
I'd like to hear what others think about this junior executive class of sport/luxury sedans, is the X type the best value? From what I've seen it is by far!
Best regards.

Old 04-03-2015, 05:16 PM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts

Sheet metal and wear parts, why '04 up?

Likely to get all you need from an earlier cat, for a grand less!

Old 04-03-2015, 05:25 PM

I heard there were a few problems with the early models that were subsequently worked on later years, plus I prefer newer if possible to avoid the corroded fastener syndrome>

Old 04-03-2015, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts
Thumbs down

With that money, you could get an XK8 coupe or convertible. I love mine. Just make sure it has the new secondary chain tensioners(metal instead of plastic), and now that the cars have some age on them, you can throw away the book, where Jaguar said the transmissions and differentials are sealed for life. Replacing the chain tensioners is a 2 hour and hundred dollars in parts type of job, if you include changing the plugs, and replacing the pressure regulator piston in the trans is another 2 hour job and about $250 in parts, if you are as **** as me, and flush out the trans 3 times, before you actually do the job. Otherwise you are waiting for a failure, that could have been prevented. I was a German car master tech, and they all seem to share the same basic transmissions, as Jaguar, so they all have the same weaknesses. They either use electronically shifted ZF or Mercedes transmissions, and none of that group lasts long without expensive maintenance, unless you do it yourself. All the respective engines will last for a quarter of a million miles, with routine maintenance. I just happen to think Jaguars are pieces of driving art. You won't get the same looks, if you buy yuppie trash BMWs, Mercedes, or Audis, and they cost the same to maintain. If you want cheap, buy domestic. There are plenty of them in the junk yards, for parts......Be cool....Mike

Old 04-04-2015, 08:08 AM

Thanks for all the good info. Still hope to on a Jag drop top someday, but for now I needed a daily driver. Will also get the X type back in shape again soon. As you said, Jags are rolling works of art that no other manufacturer seems to be able to duplicate.

Old 04-04-2015, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,133 Likes on 1,307 Posts

You are right about the BMW not matching the X-Type; before I bought the X-Type that my wife drives (2002, manual shift, 2.5) I made a back-to-back comparison with a virtually identical specification BMW 3 series. It was event the same colour (black/black). In every aspect: ride, handling, performance, shift quality, interior appointments especially, trunk size and entry...in every aspect, not to mention exclusivity, the Jaguar came out on top. I bought the X-Type the same day and it has been superb in every way with just one repair over 12 years: replacement of an 02 sensor.
Auto writers look down on the X-Type consistently because of its (tenuous) connection to the (excellent) Ford Mondeo - and they consistently over-emphasize that connection. People who own X-Types love them. We have had 3 of them - and my daily driver is a 2005 X-Type Sportwagon - rare, beautiful and 100% trouble-free.

Attached Thumbnails Good news/bad news-x-types-001-small-.jpg  
Old 04-05-2015, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member

After reading your post further, I would put little weight on Motor Trends car of the year. They have picked quite a few dogs i.e. the Renault Alliance, Chevy Vega, and the list goes on. I try to avoid what they think car of the year is......Mike

Old 04-07-2015, 09:54 PM

Mrplow58, you are absolutely right about some of MT COTY picks. I remember my parents bought a Plymouth Volare in 1978 (another MT COTY pick), but they do occasionally get it right.
After having driven this Beemer for a week I can confidently say I prefer the handling of the X type. The BMW is larger, heavier, more powerful and drives like it. The seats and quality of the interior don't compare to the Jag, however, this car can be thrashed pretty heavily without worry of damaging the drive train. The Jag is much more agile and precise in it's handling. Nothing compares to the look of this Jag, Beemers are attractive in their own way but many of the models look very much alike.
I'm searching salvage yards for replacement parts now and hope to have it back in shape soon.
BTW does anyone have experience with fuel preservatives for extended period layups?

Old 04-11-2015, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member

I have always used this stuff called Pri-G. A little bottle treats 256 gallons, and I use it year round, because while you drive, it does an excellent job of keeping the top of the intake valves clean, and have never had an injector go bad, using it. I also use it to store vehicles, but use twice as much as they recommend for storing, because I am ****, not any other reason.......Hope this helps....Mike

Old 04-12-2015, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,133 Likes on 1,307 Posts

If you regularly use a premium-quality fuel (and I do not simply mean high octane), that is a fuel recognised as being a "top tier" fuel (that is fuel recognised by the automobile manufacturers as superior in meeting the requirements of their modern engines without damaging effects on the fuel system), there are already additives in it designed to keep the fuel injectors and the valves clean - and to do so without damaging parts of the fuel delivery system. Typically it is the high-octane blends that contain the highest amount of these additives in brands such as Shell, Esso, Chevron and PetroCanada in North America. European brands also have such additives.
Adding competing chemicals is specifically discouraged by Jaguar and other marques because of possible damage. When they tell us to not add additives, they mean it.