X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my car serviced..

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 11:07 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Got my car serviced..

Yesterday I got my serviced at Jaguar. I needed an oil change and I have a leak in the top part of the tank for the washer fluid. The tank is cover under warranty but they had to order it. While there they said I had a slight leak from one of the seals on the transmission. Again this was covered under warranty and they check/topped off the fluid levels.

Now he was trying to sell me on this carbon cleaning treatment. Saying they clean out all of the carbon buildup in the engine so it runs better and gets better mileage. Has anyone had their dealer perform this service? Worth it?

I also need to drain and fill the brake fluid since its black.. When I go back for the tank I think I will have them perform the brake flush..

Old 01-23-2010, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the leak in the washer fluid too, can you let me know ow much it was to replace it. And i've heard about it. Other then that i can't tell you much

Old 01-23-2010, 01:00 PM
Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

OK that is nice, but how much for that inspection$$$$$$$ ?

You can do it most of that by your self, for $100 including that thing

for fluid.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:05 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Pete, you can do the brakes yourself for about $15. It is really easy to do. You first need to stop by the auto parts store and get a 1 quart container of the appropriate brake fluid (Super DOT 4 fluid). Then see if the auto parts store has some 3/16" clear tygon (plastic) tubing. If not, pick some up at the hardware store. You will need about 5-6 feet. From here, you can get an old glass jar that is just laying around your house and some masking tape.

To swap out the fluid, you first start on the right rear tire (the one furthest from the brake cylinder), remove the tire and then attach the clear tube to the nipple on the brake caliper. Run the clear tube up to the top of the wheel well and put 2 pieces of tape to hold the tube in place (leave the center of the tube exposed so you can see it). Using a 10mm wrench, open the nipple. Now, depress the brake pedal a few times to fill the tubing with brake fluid (keep an eye on the level inside the brake fluid reservior as you don't want it to go dry, but you want to take it as low as you can at this point). Now, fill the reservior back up with clean fluid. Pump the brakes a few more times. What you are wanting to see is the tubing to go from a dark green to a very light green, almost clear (or the color of the new brake fluid). Pump a few times, check the level as you don't want the reservior to empty (this introduces air into the system and you are trying to get rid of this during this procedure along with pushing out the old fluid). Keep refilling as needed. Once the fluid changes color, look at the tubing and see if you see any air bubbles. If you see air bubbles, pump a few more times and check again. Repeat until the air bubbles are gone. Shut the nipple and remove the tubing. Repeat this process by going to the left rear tire, then the right front tire and then finally the left front tire. As you get closer to the left front tire, you will notice it will take fewer and fewer pumps of the brake pedal to make the fluid change color. Once all 4 tires are done, the job is done.

Of note, keeping the end of the tube under the level of the fluid in the jar will help prevent getting any air back up in the tubing. So, don't dump out the old fluid between wheels.

if you need more help with this, let me know. It is really easy. If you can get a second person to help you, then it can really move along as you can stand outside the car and be checking everything as they are pumping the brakes.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco stu55
I have the leak in the washer fluid too, can you let me know ow much it was to replace it. And i've heard about it. Other then that i can't tell you much
The tank is covered under warranty so it is not costing anything. The brake flush would cost $210 and I have a 15% off coupon from them. Definitely DIY saves a ton of $$$ so I will see.

As for the carbon cleaning... Does the X really have that much buildup? I have never performed this on any of my cars and I always use branded 93 octane gas, not the cheap stuff..

Is it really worth it??