Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time to blow some money

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Time to blow some money

Okay, now that i got some cash saved up, i think im going to start dumping/ orderering parts for my car. Im really tempted to get rims, but i want something nice that compliments the car ad its performance. So im holding off on it. I would like to get a better sound system,Bose? pioneer? but like the stock look, would i have to get a new head unit, and i want to be able to play cds. So any ideas. Being a dvd player would also be a though to keep in mind. Another thing is, what the name of that one website that gives you the 09 style grille painted, its not mina gallery?

Old 01-22-2010, 09:14 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Disco, I am in the process of upgrading my stereo. I am keeping the factory radio and adding an amp, dual 12" subs, and separates up front and in the rear. Should make for a good sound. Yes, you can use the factory radio to power aftermarket amps/speakers. The trick is either getting line level amplifier inputs or using a line to RCA converter box. Depending on the amp(s) that you are looking at, you may have only 1 choice or you may be able to do either. If you have more questions about the stereo, let me know. I am taking the stereo bit one step further than most in that I am pulling out the wiring to the factory radio at the radio so I can "get rid" of the small wiring and installing new wires in their place to run from the radio plug to my line to RCA box.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 505 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
Disco, I am in the process of upgrading my stereo. I am keeping the factory radio and adding an amp, dual 12" subs, and separates up front and in the rear. Should make for a good sound. Yes, you can use the factory radio to power aftermarket amps/speakers. The trick is either getting line level amplifier inputs or using a line to RCA converter box. Depending on the amp(s) that you are looking at, you may have only 1 choice or you may be able to do either. If you have more questions about the stereo, let me know. I am taking the stereo bit one step further than most in that I am pulling out the wiring to the factory radio at the radio so I can "get rid" of the small wiring and installing new wires in their place to run from the radio plug to my line to RCA box.
Thermo - just put the rca converter directly behind the head unit, there's plenty of room, u'll understand when you pull the radio out. And run rca's and a remote turn on back, as if it was a normal headunit.

Second get yourself one of those parrot bluetooth adapter harnesses and use that to tap into the speaker leads so you don't chop up the car's wiring doing this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Old 01-23-2010, 05:57 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Andro, you took the words right out of my mouth about the line converter box. That is exactly what I had planned. I'm just pulling the speaker wires out of the radio plug and putting in new wires there so I don't have to hack up the wiring harness. Then if I ever sell the car, I can pop out the stereo and reinstall the factory wiring to get the car back to 100% factory.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Disco, I know this may sound pretty extreme, but how about keep saving the cash a bit longer and trade up for 3.0 liter Sport model? Has the bigger engine and better performance, even more so with a manual transmission. Also look for one with the premium audio and it might even have the six disc changer in the trunk. I know I 'll get heat from the true audiphiles out there, but the premium Alpine stock unit sounds pretty good to me. Certainly not like a good aftermarket unit, but it does have some pop. Plus, a sport model comes with bigger wheels, 17" or 18" depending on how it was ordered. If you are patient and look hard you might be able to trade up for only a few thousand. You could kill three birds with one stone going that route. Just a thought.

Old 01-23-2010, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Alfadude
Disco, I know this may sound pretty extreme, but how about keep saving the cash a bit longer and trade up for 3.0 liter Sport model? Has the bigger engine and better performance, even more so with a manual transmission. Also look for one with the premium audio and it might even have the six disc changer in the trunk. I know I 'll get heat from the true audiphiles out there, but the premium Alpine stock unit sounds pretty good to me. Certainly not like a good aftermarket unit, but it does have some pop. Plus, a sport model comes with bigger wheels, 17" or 18" depending on how it was ordered. If you are patient and look hard you might be able to trade up for only a few thousand. You could kill three birds with one stone going that route. Just a thought.

I wish i had been more carefull when i first got my car, and did more research. Well, its got a bit of rust, i have the leaper but haven't put it back on, theres limo tiint all around and the recent curbing incident set me back 2200, thats witha new rim. Do you think it would be worth it. If i ever did, ( now that u got me thinking) i would like a 2005 black or white sport model, but witht he wood and not the carbon. How much do u guys think im looking at. Theres not many jaguars around here, and even fewer x types. And thermo, sorry but i don't know much about electronics and wiring, i was think of getting a amp, and better speakers, but iwould have to have it done professionally, i've been told to avoid big box stores like walmart/best buy since they do a **** job. Ady ideas.

Old 01-23-2010, 01:12 PM
Veteran Member

Looks like i won't be able to do that alfa, thier are no sport models in my area, or in alberta for sale according to autotrader. Plus i've realized our cars are more of the crusing type, not the drag race type. lol but ill keep looking.

Old 01-23-2010, 03:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

You can't have my car but, you may have a chance at my 17" Aguilas...

If you ARE looking at doing a stereo upgrade, talk to Shawn @ Visions here in town. He's got years of experience and then do a bang up job. Just a thought.

Old 01-23-2010, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member

yea i heard some good stuff about our vissions store, can u get a picture of the aguilas. Just wanna see what they look like.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:28 PM
Received 60 Likes on 49 Posts

Disco
2004. 3.0 for $9950 www.texascarsdirect.com
They also have a 2008 model.

Old 01-23-2010, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MyBlackCat
Disco
2004. 3.0 for $9950 www.texascarsdirect.com
They also have a 2008 model.

up in canada man

Old 01-23-2010, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Be patient, Disco. Didn't say you had to buy it today. :>)

After I decided what I wanted it took me 6 months to find the right one and even then I traveled 500 miles to buy it. I'm sure your options are more limited up where you live, but if you keep seacrhing eventually you will find the right one for the right price. The thrill of the hunt is half the fun.

Old 01-23-2010, 06:49 PM
Veteran Member

yea lol, ill keep and eye open, i really wanted to biexon headlights along with the sport model. But i defintly should have done my reasearch. I wonder how much my car would be worth right now.