X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grilles

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 06:26 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile Grilles

Butted up to the inside of the rear window are grilles which cover the entire back window area. I looked down into them and saw what seems like foam rubber. What are these Grilles for? I saw nothing in the owner's manual related to them.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like a rear sun visor/screen?? I might be confused..

UPDATE!!: I went outside and looked and I always thought they were speakers at first and didn't really pay attention to them but now you have me curious lol.. maybe one of the techs will know what they are for.

Last edited by BlackJag914; 09-30-2010 at 08:44 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:00 PM
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Default I wondered that too...

I thought maybe they were air duct/vents to defrost the rear window, so I asked "what they r4 here a while back... Experts told me they are not heating dicts, but just air pressure relief so when you slam the trunk it equalizes the pressure, which actually makes sense.

Hey blackJag914 - where in Westchester are you? Anywhere near White Pains? We have the same ride, and i never see you....

Where do you go for service?

Old 09-30-2010, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by MeatBag
I thought maybe they were air duct/vents to defrost the rear window, so I asked "what they r4 here a while back... Experts told me they are not heating dicts, but just air pressure relief so when you slam the trunk it equalizes the pressure, which actually makes sense.

Hey blackJag914 - where in Westchester are you? Anywhere near White Pains? We have the same ride, and i never see you....

Where do you go for service?

Yeah that makes sense, never really took that much time to figure it out that's cool though. And hell yeah bro lol I live in Yonkers.. I'm all over Westchester though! White Plains..Mt.Vernon..Greenburgh..Scarsdale..New Rochelle.. haha I'm surprised we haven't seen each other one time or another. Do you have a Black Jag with chrome pillars and HIDs?? Cause that's the only one I have seen that jumped out at me, this was on Central ave of course. And I usually go to sears for minor service like oil changes and to check out my wheels/tires.. But if it's something serious I just go to that Jag service center in White Plains they were always good to me. Glad to see another guy that's close.. I think Pnyklr on here is from Hastings too.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:49 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Lueb
Butted up to the inside of the rear window are grilles which cover the entire back window area. I looked down into them and saw what seems like foam rubber. What are these Grilles for? I saw nothing in the owner's manual related to them.
They are for air flow. Apart from equalizing air pressure, they help keep the rear nice and cool by drawing air to the back without requiring a blower for the back seats ( based on my practical experience )

Old 10-01-2010, 04:45 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile Grilles

The only problem is if you look inside the trunk there is solid metal under the spots these grilles are. So, now the question is how do they circulate air or take pressure out of the trunk when it it closed is there are no openings at the bottom?

Old 10-01-2010, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Solid metal, yes. Sealed, no. They allow enough air movement to prevent a pressure build inside the cabin when shutting the door. It doesn't take much, and air does move through other vents/openings inside the vehicle as well. Most cars these days have a similar set up as modern vehicles have become more and more insulated and well sealed (for lack of a better term) therefore less able to bleed air pressure through door seals or other cracks and crevices.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by BlackJag914
Do you have a Black Jag with chrome pillars and HIDs?? Cause that's the only one I have seen that jumped out at me, this was on Central ave of course. ... Glad to see another guy that's close.. I think Pnyklr on here is from Hastings too.
Not me - no chrome B-pillars (Black), and no HID's (sigh) - one had a broke leveller, makin me look like Forrest Whittaker on a bad day - I had to replace em with halo's cause new HID headlight assemblies are like $1k each... Kept old HIDs (Passenger's is fine) so when I find a Driver's I can afford I can put em back in.

I'm in Hartsdale, up-n-down central ave too, and through Wide Pains daily. Even tho momma said dont talk to strangers you met inna innernet chat room, and certainly don't ever go and arrange to meet 'em in an empty parking lot, we should hook up some time, maybe ponykiller too... kinda like a lil' baby JagMEAT!!!

Last edited by MeatBag; 10-01-2010 at 11:58 PM.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by MeatBag
Not me - no chrome B-pillars (Black), and no HID's (sigh) - one had a broke leveller, makin me look like Forrest Whittaker on a bad day - I had to replace em with halo's cause new HID headlight assemblies are like $1k each... Kept old HIDs (Passenger's is fine) so when I find a Driver's I can afford I can put em back in.

I'm in Hartsdale, up-n-down central ave too, and through Wide Pains daily. Even tho momma said dont talk to strangers you met inna innernet chat room, and certainly don't ever go and arrange to meet 'em in an empty parking lot, we should hook up some time, maybe ponykiller too... kinda like a lil' baby JagMEAT!!!
Lmao, maybe we can fix the driver's side how I fixed mine.. I had a friend take off the bumper and we Jb-Welded the broken post and mine has worked fine ever since. Haha I'm down to hang out, Ill msg you.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea I work in Hastings but I'm from the Vernon my car is residing upstate in Dutchess though I'm not driving it

Old 10-04-2010, 05:50 PM
Default JagMEAT!

JagMEAT!

Bear Mountain Lodge - big parking lot, everybody knows where it is - accessible to NY, NJ and CT, and the hudson valley has beautiful windy roads and mountain views.

Saturday October 16th 12 noon

Got extra parts/pieces? Bring'em!