X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Halogen Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 11:14 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Halogen Headlights

My 2005 wagon has developed the habit of burning out low beam bulbs every 4-6 weeks. One at a time - not both at once - though it is happening on both sides. These are the standard H1 bulbs, not the Xenons.
I bought this car a year ago and had no lamp trouble until December. I've been using halogen bulbs elsewhere since the 70's so I am familiar with proper handling.
I've bought replacements at local stores including NAPA, O'Reilly and Baxter. Same results with all brands.
Connectors and housings are clean and dry with no sign of moisture or corrosion.
The dealer answer is that I must use Jaguar branded bulbs. But those just appear to be normal brands repackaged in a Jaguar box for 8X the price.
Or is there something unusual about them?
The only thing worse than replacing $4 bulbs every 6 weeks would be replacing $30 bulbs every 6 weeks!

Old 04-13-2011, 03:02 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I've heard one of the techs here (Brutal) say that the Jaguar wiring has a high initial surge that non-OEM bulbs can't handle. It explains why the NAPA, Shucks, etc. bulbs burn out so quickly.

If you read the package on the Jaguar bulbs, it indicates they were "manufactured by _____ to Jaguar specifications", so in this case, maybe it's not just marketing bullshit.

It's a complete PITA and one more stupid quirk in the X-Type's design, but it is what it is. I'd suggest giving the OEM replacement bulb a shot at least. Nalley Jaguar is a sponsor here, and can probably get you the best price (plus free shipping in the lower 48 states if you mention you're a Jaguar Forums member). They shouldn't cost more than $18.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:31 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by wedgewa
My 2005 wagon has developed the habit of burning out low beam bulbs every 4-6 weeks. One at a time - not both at once - though it is happening on both sides. These are the standard H1 bulbs, not the Xenons.
I bought this car a year ago and had no lamp trouble until December. I've been using halogen bulbs elsewhere since the 70's so I am familiar with proper handling.
I've bought replacements at local stores including NAPA, O'Reilly and Baxter. Same results with all brands.
Connectors and housings are clean and dry with no sign of moisture or corrosion.
The dealer answer is that I must use Jaguar branded bulbs. But those just appear to be normal brands repackaged in a Jaguar box for 8X the price.
Or is there something unusual about them?
The only thing worse than replacing $4 bulbs every 6 weeks would be replacing $30 bulbs every 6 weeks!
I recently replaced my Jaguar Halogens with higher wattage halogen from Mina Gallery. However, while the high beams seem to be working fine with the new Halogen upgrades, I had to replace 3 bulbs in 2 weeks. At which point I switched to the Jag OEM bulbs and no issues since - this was around a month ago.

The replacement Halogens I got were 100W Halogens from Mina gallery. Cost around $50 per set (so they were not cheaper than the factory set, but still didn't work out)....not sure if the high beams will burn out or not. So far, they are fine (although I seldom use them).

Old 04-13-2011, 04:03 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Replace the conenctors. Jaguar sell small crimp on purple ones to get rid of the oem white burned plastic ones. Also i have never had good luck with any of the aftermarket bulbs especially ge, wagners and whomever makes the white halogens. Theve all gone out fast in the jag and besides just ask the parts counter for a better price and remember they come with a 1yr unlimited mileage warranty

Old 04-13-2011, 04:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

One possibility is the bulb running hot due to resistance at the connector.

The connections may look clean, but you could try spraying the connector with electronics/maf cleaner and inserting and removing the burned out bulb several times to clean up the connector.

Then install with some dielectric grease on the connector.

Also check the grounds, and consider swapping relays.

Check the alternator for ripple using the AC voltage setting of a digital voltmeter.

The goal of all of the above is to present the bulb with clean DC at the required current.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:10 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Brutal
... never had good luck with any of the aftermarket bulbs especially ge, wagners and whomever makes the white halogens.
For some reason, GE has never really worked out for a number of years. Sylvania/Osram and Philips are good though. Those three are the only manufacturers used as OEM.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:44 AM

First of all, thanks to all for your input!
This morning I installed an "official Jaguar" H1 on the left side - replacing a blown NAPA branded Made In China lamp that failed after just weeks. When I tested the lights, the right side Wagner failed immediately. So now I have fresh Jaguar bulbs (made by Osram) on both sides. It will be about 2 months before I can tell if that solves the problem.
Pricing on the dealer bulbs was interesting. The closest dealer wanted $27 each but dropped to $18 each when I pointed out that the 2nd closest dealer sells them regularly at $15. I really don't like haggling for parts! I'm quite sure the dealer cost is the same everywhere.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:36 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by wedgewa
I really don't like haggling for parts!
Nope. Especially the whole list versus trade price thing.

As far as the bulb is concerned, you should make note of the numbers stamped on the metal flange and use those to find the Sylvania/Osram retail name. Probably the base level model because they run coolest and longest.

Old 04-15-2011, 04:28 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal
Replace the conenctors. Jaguar sell small crimp on purple ones to get rid of the oem white burned plastic ones. Also i have never had good luck with any of the aftermarket bulbs especially ge, wagners and whomever makes the white halogens. Theve all gone out fast in the jag and besides just ask the parts counter for a better price and remember they come with a 1yr unlimited mileage warranty
Brutal, do they all come with a 1 yr warranty? I picked up a replacement bulb not too long ago and was told by the Jaguar parts desk that bulbs are considered consumables and don't come with any warranty whatsoever.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:43 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

We warranty them for a year since ive replaced them under a 1 yr parts warranty many times. But then we are a pride of jaguar dealer and not every dealer follows the same criteria obviously

Old 04-18-2012, 11:36 PM

It's been a year. The Osram bulbs sold in Jaguar boxes, bought from a Jag dealer, are still lighting up every day as they have for the past year.
Unlike Osram bulbs sold in Sylvania blister packs at an auto parts store which did not work long for me.

Just reporting the facts of my experience. Your results may vary....

The following users liked this post:
Kota62 (04-19-2012)