Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Haven't posted in a while...

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 11:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Haven't posted in a while...

Hey guys,

I've been really busy with mcats and then applying to med schools. Still working on apps and now school started so its been a bit hectic.

Took my sister to Pittsburgh for college back in August. Such a nice city. The driving roads there are to die for. Hilly and curvy with still somewhat fast speed limits. My dad ended up getting pulled over by an airplane in Ohio. Which was somewhat comical. My radar detector picked up the rest of the cops well ahead of time.

We picked up a new CR-V recently (cash for clunkers) so I've been messing around with that. It's pretty fun for an SUV. Handles and brakes better than my jag and the steering ratio is a lot faster. But this makes it a tad twitchy at high speeds.

About 4 weeks ago, my key started getting stuck in my ignition and I couldn't start the car. I'd keep turning it till it would finally go to the On position so I could start it. I would be sitting in parking lots for 15mins sometimes trying to start my car. Dealer had to order a new ignition barrel from Jaguar and I had that replaced for $400. Then I did the brake pads and rotors for $700.

Then 4 days later, I was driving around with my girlfriend and I started smelling this sweet smell. So I immediately pull over and look and yep, my coolant is POURING out under my car. Luckily I was a block from my house and I pushed the car into my garage. Then had it towed to the dealer. Apparently the coolant temp sensor failed, which caused the coolant to overheat and caused the pipe coming out at the bottom of the radiator to burst open at a clamp. So another $400 to fix that.

So I dropped $1500 on the car in a week. My dads not too happy. One more big repair and I might need to sell my baby.

But so far so good since then. I hope it doesn't break down for a while now.

P.S. Driving around a barebones new CR-V and then getting into my jag really makes me appreciate my car a lot more. The leather, wood, sound of the engine, the refinement, and all the luxuries it has.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

There was a recall or TSB (TSB I think??) on the lower rad clamps...so when I read about it I checked with my dealer about mine (a 2002 X Type) and they told me the previous owner had had it done at a dealer in Scotland before I bought the car (ie before March 2005...a 2nd jubilee clip was put on the hose mentioned)

Old 09-21-2009, 01:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Thanks for the good words about my hometown - the roads are fun if you can find one that's not destroyed by potholes, under construction, or clogged with soccer mom SUV's driving in the ditch while texting. They get hairy in the winter (the roads, although the moms probably do too), but the X makes short work of them.

alas, sometimes though it's good for a reminder of how good I have it. No if we can get through this stupid G20 this week without the place burning to the ground......

Old 09-21-2009, 06:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

lol, i love etting in my car at the end of the day, going fromt hat nasty school desk covered in gum undneath into the nice comfy seat it makes u aprreciate that much more, and i have the same issue, i just don' tell my dads about he rpairs i have done on them or i make a excusue so far so good though

Old 09-21-2009, 08:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Chris X
Thanks for the good words about my hometown - the roads are fun if you can find one that's not destroyed by potholes, under construction, or clogged with soccer mom SUV's driving in the ditch while texting. They get hairy in the winter (the roads, although the moms probably do too), but the X makes short work of them.

alas, sometimes though it's good for a reminder of how good I have it. No if we can get through this stupid G20 this week without the place burning to the ground......
Ya we went up to that temple that's on top of the hill. Deserted roads and like 40mph speed limit or something. A similar type road in Massachusetts would have a 25-30 mph speed limit. So it was a lot of fun. No potholes. No traffic. But damn it would be scary in winter.

I'm driving the x-type a little less now. Transmission seems to shift smoother if I give it a day rest between driving it.

Last edited by Master Deep; 09-21-2009 at 08:45 PM.