X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head lamp replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 01:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Head lamp replacement

Hi again, One of my low beam head lamps does not come on any longer. I assume its the bulb. I went to a local auto parts store to get a replacement. There was a look of horror as the clerk looked up the info on this car. (2006 X type AWD). He said that they do not sell bulbs for this car and that it has to be done by a dealer because it has a transformer behind the bulb.
My question is.... Is this the truth? I just can't buy a bulb and replace it? What if the bulb is bad and the transformer is good? Do i still need to replace both? Can I do it myself? (its the drivers side light)

Thanks for the help

Tom

Jaguar x type 2006 AWD 3.0 engine

Old 03-21-2014, 04:56 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Tom, aloha (used to live right off of Kam HWY, across from the airport). As for your question, yes and no. Confused? The first thing that I will tell you is to look in the driver's door jam and see if there is a bright silver sticker between the hinges that talks about "This vehicle is equipped with High Intensity Discharge bulbs.....". If so, you have HID headlights. If you don't have that sticker, then you have the standard halogen bulbs. The halogen bulbs are your standard H1 bulbs that you can replace yourself. Not any different than any other vehicle that you have owned. If you have the HID bulbs, then you have a D2S bulb. You can replace this bulb, but you are going to have a ballast box on the back of the bulb that you will need to remove before you can access the bulb. MAKE SURE THE HEADLIGHTS ARE OFF ELSE YOU CAN POTENTIALLY BE EXPOSED TO 23,000 VOLTS!!!!!!!! You will remove the box and then remove the bulb. Installation is the reverse. Just make sure not to touch the glass for either style of bulb as this can greatly reduce the life of the bulb.

As a side note, the internals of the headlight assembly can be easily broken. So, do not press on the internals with any significant force. Otherwise, you may break the supports and then you will end up with a headlight that is either shooting for the moon or pointing down in front of the car by 10 feet.

If I need to get into more detail, please say so.

The following users liked this post:
hawaiiboyy (03-25-2014)
Old 03-21-2014, 06:36 PM

As long as someone has brought up headlights, I'll ask, how do you get to them? I read somewhere you have to remove the bumper cover. How the heck do you get that bad Larry off?
Thanks.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 100 Likes on 79 Posts

Good Larry says...
Two 10mm bolts at each headlight. You'll see them when the hood is up. Take them out.
Somewhere around a dozen T30 Torx screws under the bumper to remove the skirt from the underside. Remove them all. Remove the skirt.
Now the tricky part... You might have to jack up the front of the car and remove the front wheels. Loosen the wheel well liner at the front. Peek inside and you'll see a stud with a nut on it. Leave that alone! Just forward of the stud and nut you'll find a 10mm bolt. There is one on each side. Take out the bolt on each side. On the left side under the wheel well liner disconnect the electrical connector. The bumper is now free and will come off with some wiggling.

Old 03-22-2014, 07:37 AM

OK, I have the headlight assys. out and the adjusters are all broken! Is there a source for them, without buying the entire headlight assys.?
Thanks

Old 03-22-2014, 09:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 155 Likes on 128 Posts

a search on e-bay for 'jaguar x-type headlight adjuster' will give you several options. One of the offerings has an installation video you can watch to see how it's done.

Old 03-25-2014, 04:11 PM

That is great info! Thanks again! Tom