Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 12:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Question

Hi Everyone,
I'm still getting use to my new X-Type and I have a question regarding how the headlights function on this car. When the car is off and I turn the headlight switch to the first position, the parking lights come on fine. Then when I turn the switch all the way so that the actual headlamps come on, nothing happens. The headlamps only turn on once the car is moving. Is this normal for this car or should I be able to turn on the headlamps even if the car is off (as you can on most vehicles)? Also while driving, there seems to be no difference between the daytime running lights (Canadian specification) and if you turn on the headlamps (the only difference is the interior lights come on). If there is an issue, the dealer should still take care of this under the warranty of the safety the car just had. I appreciate your responses.

Old 06-05-2010, 01:11 PM
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

The final setting on the far right side of the headlight dial (i think its labelled "A") is for automatic (lights only go on in the dark, as judged buy the sensor buried against the glass inside the rearview mirror).

The setting preceeding that last one should turn them on, day or night. Pulling outward on that dial turns the fogs on.

Mine is an '03, and they may have mucked with the settings and such since then. Check the owner's manual. If you see them working, then they probably work properly, and its just some kookiness from Coventry regarding light switch options (like a dial that pulls out.)

Old 06-05-2010, 04:18 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Jon, yes, your headlights (low beams) will go out when the ignition switch is taken out of the RUN position. The car is wired that way to prevent people from running their battery down by leaving the headlights on. Unfortunately, this doesn't work that way for the fog lights or parking lights.

As for the DRLs, you have a correct understanding of how the system works. A little goofey to me, but that is how they do it.

Old 06-05-2010, 10:16 PM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Having lived with Porsche, Jaguar, MG, Austin-Healy, and Alfa...the parking lights (if the switch is European) is so if you park on the road in Europe, you can lock the car, leaving the parking lights on. Kookie, I know...but it was in the Porsche and Alfa manual...I don't have access to European manuals anymore

Old 06-06-2010, 05:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Light switches - User Manuals

Hi

Greetings from Yorkshire - You can download the owner manual for your car (which contains details of lights etc) from here:

http://www.ownerinfo.jaguar.com/extf...prod/index.jsp

Good Luck
Jim

Old 06-08-2010, 12:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I appreciate the feedback. I double checked everything and it's working well. Thanks for the information.