X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight washer system

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 08:23 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Headlight washer system

I have covers over the headlight spray opening. I assummed that I didn't have the headlight spray option.
This morning on the way to work, a light rain occurred and it was necessary to use the windshield spray button on the stalk. When I returned to my car, I noticed one of the covers resting on the bumper & what appears to be the headlight spray mechanism sticking out of the hole. It became activated, pushed on the cover & broke off the retainer clips. I touched the spray unit & it automatically retracted back into its cavity.
Reading the manual explained that when you press the windshield washer, it will also activate the headlight washer.
Why were the covers there? Are they supposed to be removed by the dealer? I don't particularily like the look of the hole below the headlights. Why is this only happening now?

Old 02-05-2012, 03:57 AM
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

There is a seperate pump in the reservoir that activates them on first press of the wash/wipe and then every 6th press after that, with lights being on of course.

The covers are just clipped on and tbh quite a pathetic attempt really. They move out with the headlight washers and then when done then cover up the hole where the washers reside. Could be your headlight washer motor on its way out, the reservoir needing a clean or lines blocked.

You tried since to activate them?

Old 02-07-2012, 05:28 AM

Thanks Ian, I did some research on Sunday and discovered exacly what you had told me. The covers are indeed attatched in a very poor manner. Both plastic pins that hold the cover to the washer mechanism were completely sheared off. I found a very small diameter drill bit and bored through the clip, allowing be to push a small brad nail into the piece to replace the broken pins. My wife activated the washer, I grabbed it from retracting and clipped the cover back on. It now works great.

The passeger side does not work at all though. I found that the hose was disconnected and plugged off. The plastic connector to the pump from the hose is also broken off. Not sure if the previous owner broke it off while removing the hose, due to the fact that the washer stopped working.

Do you know if the washer is activated by the pump washer pressure or is it an electric switch ? I'll have to work on it later when I have more time.

The plastic parts on these cars are getting brittle with age and are not strong at all. I'm having the same issues wih my headlight adjusters.(like many others) broken POS plastic parts. :-(

Old 02-07-2012, 06:19 PM
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

The pump draws water from the reservoir and into the headlight washers, the pressure of the water extends the jets and the water then sprays onto the headlights.

I would disconnect the rear of each headlight (push the black tabs in on the pipe itself, you'll see what I mean when looking at the pipe) and aim it out of the bonnet, press the wash/wipe button with headlights on and see if a large jet of water is sprayed out, if so at least your pump is doing as it should and you've narrowed it down to the jets themselves.

The following users liked this post:
JagXster (02-08-2012)
Old 02-08-2012, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Ian D
The pump draws water from the reservoir and into the headlight washers, the pressure of the water extends the jets and the water then sprays onto the headlights.

I would disconnect the rear of each headlight (push the black tabs in on the pipe itself, you'll see what I mean when looking at the pipe) and aim it out of the bonnet, press the wash/wipe button with headlights on and see if a large jet of water is sprayed out, if so at least your pump is doing as it should and you've narrowed it down to the jets themselves.
Good to know - thanks for your feedback. I'll check it out on Saturday & try to fix the broken clip/hose to the washer,
cheers

Old 02-08-2012, 11:59 AM
Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts
Default got a fix,FYI washer for windshield

If the washer head connection underside breaks they want $40.00 +tx for ea. head.POS plastic. Hear is a good fix. I used a gas line connection from a weed whip (gas of course).on the carb where the gas line connects,(small pipe)gently twist it out, take the washer head out and gently push it into where the broken line was, it fits perfectly, and tight. use a slightly smaller hose to connect to the check valve. make sure the check valve is pointing the right way(arrow) and it works great.Volume doesn't seem to be reduced.If you don't have a whip somebody is always throwing away one because the carbs. are hard to rebuild or the head or shaft breaks.It may sound cheap but

Old 02-08-2012, 06:40 PM

"It may sound cheap but.."

I like to call it frugal

Thanks for your ideas Bill. I'm now confident that I can get that washer working again

yea !

Old 02-08-2012, 09:55 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

I just bought this to replace the plastic connector. It should hold up for a long time.