X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello from Fargo, ND

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 11:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello from Fargo, ND

Hello everyone. I am living in Fargo, ND. I have an X-type 3.0. I have found this forum to be a great resource in troubleshooting my cars' problems. Now I am trying to fix a P0174 and P0171 bank 1and 2 to lean. I have found some great ideas on the forum. But any suggestions are welcome. In addition, I also have the P0116 (coolant temp Range/Performance) code to deal with. Tomorrow I will be replacing the thermostat and a gasket that seams to be leaking. However, I am not sure that will fix my bank 1/2 to lean problem. My frustration in the matter is that when I go on longer trips in the car, sometimes the cruse not available will pop on and shortly after the temp gage will trip and go hot. The solution I have found to this, to get me home, is to put the car in neutral and turn the ignition off (while rolling down the interstate) wait 5-10 sec. Then turn the car back on. By doing this it seems that the car resets it self and I am able to drive for another 5 min or so, then I will have to do it again. Not the safest thing to be doing so I am trying to fix the problem.
I am quite mechanically inclined and enjoy working on my cars so I have not been to a shop to get it looked at.
Anyway, any recommendations are welcome.
Thanks

Old 10-20-2010, 11:22 AM
Default 2002 x-type

Sorry, my car is a 2002 X-type 3.0.

Old 10-20-2010, 11:46 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Originally Posted by aspen
Hello everyone. I am living in Fargo, ND. I have an X-type 3.0. I have found this forum to be a great resource in troubleshooting my cars' problems. Now I am trying to fix a P0174 and P0171 bank 1and 2 to lean. I have found some great ideas on the forum. But any suggestions are welcome. In addition, I also have the P0116 (coolant temp Range/Performance) code to deal with. Tomorrow I will be replacing the thermostat and a gasket that seams to be leaking. However, I am not sure that will fix my bank 1/2 to lean problem. My frustration in the matter is that when I go on longer trips in the car, sometimes the cruse not available will pop on and shortly after the temp gage will trip and go hot. The solution I have found to this, to get me home, is to put the car in neutral and turn the ignition off (while rolling down the interstate) wait 5-10 sec. Then turn the car back on. By doing this it seems that the car resets it self and I am able to drive for another 5 min or so, then I will have to do it again. Not the safest thing to be doing so I am trying to fix the problem.
I am quite mechanically inclined and enjoy working on my cars so I have not been to a shop to get it looked at.
Thanks
Welcome to jaguasforums.com. I know that you are anxious to get started but we have a 10 post minimum. Once that is satisfied you will be given you opportunity to post photos and see other links. Please be patient and enjoy the site.
I am sorry that you are experiencing problems with your car but I am pleased that we are able to help and hope we can do the same with your present problem. You need to post in the X-Type forum in order to get that help and this post will be moved to that location once you acknowledge this post so you can continue. Good Luck!

Old 10-20-2010, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Welcome aboard Aspen + 1 on Gus' advice.

Apart from not being safe it is not good for your gearbox either.

Old 10-20-2010, 01:45 PM
Default True

That is true. I have already replaced the transfer case not thrilled to be doing more harm to the drive train.

Old 10-20-2010, 01:48 PM
Default Thanks for the welcome

Originally Posted by Gus
Welcome to jaguasforums.com. I know that you are anxious to get started but we have a 10 post minimum. Once that is satisfied you will be given you opportunity to post photos and see other links. Please be patient and enjoy the site.
I am sorry that you are experiencing problems with your car but I am pleased that we are able to help and hope we can do the same with your present problem. You need to post in the X-Type forum in order to get that help and this post will be moved to that location once you acknowledge this post so you can continue. Good Luck!

Thanks for the welcome. And thanks for moving my post. From now on I will post new threads in the X-Type forum.

Old 10-20-2010, 03:12 PM
ud
Received 147 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by aspen
Thanks
On an X-Type find the lean condition in one of two common places - Look at the short rubber PCV hose feeding from the front bank into the intake manifold. It is about 12" long, 1" in diameter and runs parallel with the intake tube. It splits and causes the lean condition (likely your problem). Next, look at the brake booster vacuum tube coming from the intake manifold. It cracks and causes lean codes, next likely if the PCV hose is not split.

Last edited by steve11; 10-20-2010 at 03:16 PM.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:10 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Aspen, welcome to the Forums. I think you will like it here. Lots of good info to be had by all.

As for your lean condition, 3 common problems causing this:
-brake booster line develops a crack in it, requires new piece only obtainable from the dealer
-intake hose (like was mentioned before)
-IMT valve o-rings ($3 each, requires 2 for the car). These are located on the passenger side of the intake, pointing towards the strut tower. They are the black circles on the side of the intake.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
Aspen, welcome to the Forums. I think you will like it here. Lots of good info to be had by all.

As for your lean condition, 3 common problems causing this:
-brake booster line develops a crack in it, requires new piece only obtainable from the dealer
-intake hose (like was mentioned before)
-IMT valve o-rings ($3 each, requires 2 for the car). These are located on the passenger side of the intake, pointing towards the strut tower. They are the black circles on the side of the intake.
The leaking IMT o-rings will produce a hissing sound, ranking them the #1 likely of the three causing your vacuum leak, PCV #2 and Brake boost hose #3. You can tell what's been replaced already. IMT o-rings will be green, PCV hose will be "ribbed" and the brake boost hose will have the check valve shrink wrapped in black.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by mohrd
The leaking IMT o-rings will produce a hissing sound, ranking them the #1 likely of the three causing your vacuum leak, PCV #2 and Brake boost hose #3. You can tell what's been replaced already. IMT o-rings will be green, PCV hose will be "ribbed" and the brake boost hose will have the check valve shrink wrapped in black.

I have a pair of IMT o-rings on order and they should be here today. I am sure that the PCV hose is not leaking. But I will check again on the brake boost hose. Thanks again I think this is a good start. I will let you know.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:22 PM

Yep that was the problem. The old IMT o-rings were almost flat, not round.
Thanks.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:32 PM
Default one more project down many more to go

Well it seems that the o-rings did the trick. There was a very clear hissing coming from them... no codes have flashed since. Today I also got around to replacing the thermostat. It really needed replacing. It had fallen apart and the plastic retaining clip was broken off when I removed the housing. Thankfully I bought the whole housing and not just the thermostat.