Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! 03' X Type Miss or Trans?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 07:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! 03' X Type Miss or Trans?

Help!

The radiator in my 2003 X Type 2.0 leaked the car over heated and blew the head gasket. I took the car to a shop that did the head gasket, radiator, thermostat housing, timing chain, tune up, and hoses.

Now it is having this miss and they are saying they are not sure if it is the motor or the trans. The car is not throwing any codes and does not miss in 4th gear only in OD.

I dont have much mechanical experience can anyone give me any idea of what could be going on.

Thank you!

Old 11-29-2010, 04:59 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

B Sullivan, I believe you have a 2.5L X-Type, not a 2.0L motor. The only 2.0L motor the X-Type got was a diesel engine which was not sold in the US. So, unless you imported it, you don't have a 2.0L engine.

As for your miss problem, I would first start with replacing the IMT valve o-rings ($3 part, takes about 10 minutes to install with basic mechanical ability). After that, inspect the vacuum line running between the top of the intake and the brake booster. With the work you had done, it is very possible that they bent that hose a little bit too far and it developed a small crack in it, leading to your problems. After that, inspect the hose running between the intake and the battery air box. On the underside of this hose (about as big around as your thumb), it is known for developing cracks, leading to vacuum leaks.

After that, hard to say where the leak could be. Based on the work done, you could also have a problem with a bad intake manifold gasket (intake manifold is in 2 pieces and if you don't get it sealed right, it can create random problems). But, a leak here is very rare.

The following users liked this post:
B Sullivan (11-29-2010)
Old 11-29-2010, 09:19 PM

Thank you Thermo!

You are correct it is a 2.5 not a 2.0. I will ask the shop that did the work and see if they have replaced or checked the parts you mentioned.

Sounds like you think the problem is a vacuum issue? I did not realize a vacuum leak would cause this type of trouble.

Keep in mind I know very little about auto mechanics!

I will update you.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:28 AM

So since my last post the car cut off as my wife was driving it through a parking lot!

I had it towed to the local Jaguar dealer and the fuse in the ignition blew. They replaced the fuse and drove it a couple times before it blew again. The fuse blows when the engine torks, and they think the miss is a coil but are not sure which one.

Can the coil cause the fuse to blow?
Should the initial shop be responsible for what is happening now?

This is very frustrating and getting very expensive especially since the only problem I had was the radiator.

Thanks!