X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 05:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!!

Yesterday my check engine light came on and the car started to kickback when i would accelerate, it started to die on me then i pulled over and it ran ok afterwards. I ran the OBDii on it and the following codes came on: P1171 System Too Lean- Banks 1 And 2 (Lean Fuel Fault), P1174 System Too Lean - Banks 1 And 2 (Suspect HO2S). I checked the PCV pipe and its ok. I made sure the MAF sensor wasn't loose as well. Any ideas what else it can be, i already reset the codes and the check engine light came on again.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Help!!!

By pcv pipe is it this hose that you checked? Its located under the plastic cover and will have a huge crack through the middle. Mine had it and pulled those same codes...everyone told me to get it fixed asap to keep from damaging so make sure even though this may not be it you get it fixed....
">

Old 11-30-2007, 11:46 PM

We've been discussing what sounds like the same thing (although you havent mentioned the "Cruise unavailable" light) over here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/m_29194/tm.htm

I should have an update tomorrow. I had my car at the dealer this week to fix the problem. I got it back tonight and the invoice had the tech's notes which included the same codes that you pulled (I think - I will confirm tomorrow b/c I left the paper in the car). I drove the car home and all seemed well, but this has happened before. So, I'll keep my fingers crossed and drive it for a few days before celebrating a successful fix. In a nutshell though, they claim I had vacuum leaks, so they replaced some seals and hoses (I'll get the names of the parts for you tomorrow).

Old 12-01-2007, 08:25 AM

Okay, I have the invoice with me now. The codes they pulled were P0171 and P0174. They also did a "smoke test" and found "IMT Seals leaking, and "booster line leaking vacuum.." They also found "PCV hose broken" which was my make-shift replacement hose. They replaced all of the above, and I took off the cover and had a look this morning.

Aquil - the new pcv hose is a very firm and reinforced version, with a ribbed appearance, and they also put a clamp on both of the ends. It seems they realize that is a major point of failure.

They also found a fault in my J-gate and replaced it.

I had to move my car this morning and nearly had a nervouse break down when I saw a light come on in the dash. Turns out it was just the "Cold temperature outside" warning light (it's 31 degrees out there), not the "cruise unavail" light! So far, so good.

Oh, here is the cost break down:

Parts
2 seals 11.34
Hose 22.61
J Gate 239.61
Tube 95.06
Total 368.62

Labor 816.50

Total parts & labor: $1185.12

Merry Christmas, Jaguar

Old 12-01-2007, 09:08 AM
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

yes leaking tuning valve seal's tend to always leak.. i wud replace those.. very cheap and easy to do.

Old 12-01-2007, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member

Man thats sucks... I feel bad for you man...hopefully this doesn't happen to me...I can't afford that crap! Hey jag_genius how hard is the stuff he needed fixed to do yourself?

Old 12-01-2007, 03:13 PM

where are the seals located? i am also having a clicking noise constantly coming from the J-gate when i apply the brakes. Is this a sign that its messing up had never done it befoe. As for the PCV hose ichecked and it seems to be intact with no cracks. I have also noticed that when its cold outside is when the Check Engine light comes on, then it goes away. Are all these the symptoms you had?

Old 12-01-2007, 09:02 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah come on what are we looking at here?

Old 12-02-2007, 10:46 PM

ORIGINAL: smokinjag

where are the seals located? i am also having a clicking noise constantly coming from the J-gate when i apply the brakes. Is this a sign that its messing up had never done it befoe. As for the PCV hose ichecked and it seems to be intact with no cracks. I have also noticed that when its cold outside is when the Check Engine light comes on, then it goes away. Are all these the symptoms you had?
I dont think the J-gate had anything to do with my car going into limp mode, but they said it could cause the engine light to come on. We didnt find any codes related to that though, but they said I wouldve eventually.

As for the engine light coming on when it's cold, that was actually the only time that the light would come on. My car was fine in the spring and all summer and most of the fall.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:44 AM

jag_genius, where are the tuning valve seals located?

Old 12-05-2007, 08:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  cars.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  7.4 KB

Yeah c'mon Jag genius.............fill in the info for the man

I can see you're turning out to be an invaluable source of info ...a real Jag genius

Nice one

Jim