X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help on Diy Rh axle replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 12:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help on Diy Rh axle replacement

ok have read many posts about replacing the rh front halfshaft. however most refer to the $200+ special tool to remove the axle from the TC shaft, some are saying to just pull it out at risk of damaging the inner seal. This is not a risk i would like to take.

By looking at the pictures of the special tool it looks like a ball joint tool connected to a mounting bracket. I am assuming it usses a cantilever mount to pry against the halfshaft while using the mounting base to hold the TV shaft in place? Can anyone confirm this for me.

reason i ask is i want to either build a tool or similar to do this myself without risking the seal damage.

Would also like to hear some input on any other methods of getting this axle changed, other than the qualified tech option which i am well aware of and still may possibly use.

Thanks
Eric

Old 09-06-2010, 04:39 PM
ud
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the RH (front) axle is 2 parts, the outer part with the CV joint on it can be exchanged without pulling the inner part out of the transfer case. The two shafts just snap together, it might take a big hammer to get them apart, mine were quite rusted and the snap ring deep inside the connection was mangled by the time I got it apart. - easy 20 cent part to replace.

The special tool that I know of is only a holder to hold the inner shaft part way out of the transfer case when you remove the entire case from the car. The idea is that there is a snap ring at the inner end of this shaft, where it snaps into the front differential.

Jag wants to make sure that you dont drag that snap ring throught a rubber shaft seal that is inside the transfer case.

To remove the TC, you must unsnap the shaft from the front diff, deep in the transmission. but you should not pull it right out without removing the snap ring first. They have this tool to hold the shaft half way out. The only reason to pull this shaft out fully is to change the oil seal at the outer end of it. I feel that many people change this seal unnecessarily. when the case is super hot, or over filled with oil, it comes out the vent hole which is directly above the shaft seal. Almost every car has some oil dripping from the vent and right over the shaft seal. You need to do some super cleaning and daily checking to find out for sure where a leak is coming from in this area.

Plenty of guys here, and probably EVERY shop out there will just pull the shaft out and hope for the best. 9/10 there is no damage. The shops dont care anyway because even if the seal is nicked it will be a slow slow leak between the transfer case and the transmission. It hardly matters on a stick shift, more dealy on an automatic.
If they damage the seal, you will have transmission problems months or a year later, and they will never take responsibility.

If you force them to take it apart per jag instructions, be prepared to pay 8-10 hours labour....

why do you want to pull the shaft out of the transfer case anyway?

if you do remove the transfer case yourself, you can either pay special attention to make sure the shaft does not get pulled too far out of the transmission, or make something out of wood, baling wire, zip ties.. whatever.

Last edited by jimmy; 09-06-2010 at 04:42 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:07 PM

Jimmy thanks For the excellent post!

You ask why i want to take the shaft out. I don't! that was part of my confusion with the special tool required to hold it in place. All i want to do is replace the RH Half Shaft.

After reading your post is sounds like all i need is a pair of snap ring pliers to remove the snap ring holding the TC shaft and half shaft together. Correct?

i can deal with a little pounding with a hammer, I was just concerned with damaging that seal by pulling the TC shaft through it.

How about Lowering the subframe? Can this job be completed by simply popping the tie rod out, or do i really need to drop the sub-frame and lower arm ball joint?

once again
Thanks
Eric

Old 09-06-2010, 09:17 PM
ud
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

read the very recent post about the strut removal.

to change the halfshaft, you do not need to worry about removing the inner part of the 2 piece shaft. , just that as you try to pull the connection apart, the same force will try to pull both shafts out of the transfer case.

to get the 2 shafts apart... you might need some sort of slim "pickle fork" tool, and of course the front knuckle needs to be taken apart to get the outer end of the shaft out....

Old 10-10-2011, 10:31 PM

I just purchased a 2004 X-Type and it appears that the RH Front Axle seal is leaking onto the exhaust and burning. I don't think that my T-Case was overfilled but I will check this and see but I belive I will need to pull the axle to replace the output seal. It sounds like it may be easier to remove the T-Case with the shaft and then remove the c-clip on the end to avoid buying special tools or damaging the inner seal. Let me know if anyone else has seen this seal go bad or if I am just lucky? I am sure it is leaking right at the seal but I will clean the side of the T-Case and confirm if it is leaking above the seal as posted or if the seal has gone bad.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:07 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just had the oil pan gasket replaced buy a very reputiable shop and to my amazement did not use the tool and has majorly messed up the inner seal. Leaking all over the exhaust and underbody. More leaking then the pesty oil pan. I specifically asked and quized in regard to the tool and felt very confident. Is this TC toast or can the inner seal be fixed/replaced? Thanks for the help.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:12 AM

Does not sound good, if it was a reutable shop they should repair this for free. I don't yet understand how if the inner seal gets ripped how does it leak since this should be sealed between the transaxle and the transfer case? I have a manual trans in my X-Type and it looks like I got my leak on the output shaft to virtually stop by putting some White Shepherd seal lubricant in with new gear oil in the transfer case. I do not see any leaks but have wondered if the inner seal was bad how would you know? I have read that the fluid from the transaxle would start to leak into the tcase but in my car with a manual trans I don't see a huge problem. Is your car a manual or auto?

Old 10-24-2011, 10:54 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My X is auto. It was leaving two drops every noght on the Drive way. I did not want to drive it after seeing that. Car did a total of 15 miles witht he issue. I hoe it does not turn to a fight to get repaired. I'am sure they know the cost of the TC and are not happy.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:59 PM

Hello everybody, I went to a local jaguar mechanic to have my RH CV axle to be replaced and he told me that once he removed the RH CV axle, the transmission fluid will be drained and he said the transmission fluid is about 50 bucks per quart from Jaguar, I wonder why the transmission fluid be drained by just replacing the RH CV axle..all I want him to do is to replace the CV axle (outer..I mean the one with the boots..there are two rubber boots on it)..My car is X-type 2004 AWD Auto Transmission..Please anyone ..please tell me if my transfercase can be rebuild? Some says it cannot be rebuild, but I read somewhere in this forum that somebody repaired his TC...I live in Orlando Florida and if anyone can recommend a transmission shop that can rebuild my transfercase will be highly appreciated...Thanks..

Old 09-19-2021, 08:50 PM

made my own tool the CV Axle came right out with a ball joint fork.. but the other half shaft stayed in the crank case… that shaft has threads in the center where the CV axle slides into the half shaft the threads are about a half inch. Screw a bolt with a washer and a chain connect the chain to a sledgehammer 1 or good pull and you’ll have the half shaft out with no damage