Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help please

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 03:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default help please

Hi guys,

I bought recently an used 2003 X Type 2.5. The battery is corroded and the negative cable also.
Do you guys have in here any pictures or "how To" thread that will help me changing this cable?

Also if you are so kind I am interested to know if I can replace the vacuum pipe and PCV hose and pipe myself. Anyone did that before?

And another question is:
my lights are really bad during the night and I am thinking to replace them with these:
http://www.racepages.com/parts/headl...ar/x_type.html

Any thoughts!

Thank You very much everyone!

Old 02-07-2009, 05:19 PM
Received 59 Likes on 12 Posts

The cable is easy. Remove the battery which you are replacing anyways for the crack near the negative post that corroded the cable. The cable is bolted down in 2 places, 1 right on top of the transmission and another just under the edge of the fuse box. After you remove the cable scrape some paint away from the mounting point near the fuse box for better contact.

The PCV hose again is simple and the new hose will include clamps for a more secure fit. Are you talking about the vacuum pipe to the brake booster? To release that pipe push down on the small black collar that holds the pipe into the inlet manifold and just lift the pipe straight up.

Old 02-07-2009, 05:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Tracus. Congrats on your new purchase. Rmoving the battery and negative strap is easy. All you need is a 10mm and 13mm socket.
Start off by removing the battery negative strap followed by the positive.
Remove the battery tie down by removing the 10mm bolts and unhook from the bottom.
Disconnect the battery drain tube located on the negative side of the battery.
Remove the battery
Disconnect the electrical harness from the battery tray and remove the battery tray while removing the battery drain tube.
Once the tray is removed, the negative strap will be exposed.
Unbolt the negative strap from both ends and replace with new parts.

Old 02-07-2009, 05:41 PM

Wow guys!

Thank you so much!
I am going to work on the battery and after that to remove the hose.
The battery is cracked. I wonder, why is a common issue on X Type? Why they crack?
Now I have a black brand new original Jaguar battery. I hope it's good!

What about the headlights bulbs?
Since I am removing the battery, I can install the bulbs too. It will be easy special on the battery side.

Thank you so much guys!

Regards from Calgary!

Old 02-07-2009, 05:49 PM

This is a common issue seen on X-Types due to the fact that they see hotter temperatures than other Jags which have the battery located in the trunk.
Glad we could help. Good luck.

Old 02-07-2009, 05:51 PM

After you change the battery and cable, try spreading a dab of grease on the battery posts and any bare or exposed cable. This will help to keep the corrosion away!

Old 02-07-2009, 05:57 PM

I will do as you guys suggested.
What about the bulbs guys? I bought them already ($120) and I would like to install them. I wonder if the temperature is not a problem (200celsius) and if somebody did it already.

Nobody changed them yet?

these are the bulbs:

http://www.racepages.com/parts/headl...ar/x_type.html

Please let me know if you guys use them because I am changing the battery so now I can install those too.
many thanks!

Last edited by Tracus; 02-07-2009 at 07:02 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:04 PM

Ok, I found that they are the same bulbs (55W) but the bulb glass is blue. Otherwise they are the same.
Did you guys put more powerful bulbs in your cars?
What is working best in order to have a better vision during the night?

Old 02-09-2009, 06:07 PM
Received 59 Likes on 12 Posts

I would be careful with any aftermarket headlamp bulbs in an X-type. The initial charging voltage on an X-type can be well over 15 volts and if you have auto lamps turned on that high voltage likes to eat aftermarket bulbs for lunch.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:50 AM

hello Real Tech

The original ones are OSRAM Germany 55W. Right?
I bought SYLVANIA OSRAM Germany also 55W but with blue glass. However, they are a litle bit better but in the meantime I observed that the whole headlamp must be replaced since I can not adjust de light neither in Horizontal or Vertical.
Where I can find one used Headlamp (Left) at a good price?
Or two new at a good price? If I put a new one and an used one it will look like crap.

Anyway, I am really disappointed: here in Canada they want $500 for a headlamp. plus $250 to install it.
I own a BMW, a Honda and a Toyota but I never seen a such cheap and fragile job in a headlamp....

Also, I installed the new negative cable and the new battery and I figured out why the battery gets cracked at the negative poll. Our colegue RType86 said that the cause is the heating. Is no heating in there, actually is very well placed, the cable is the problem. When you drive the vehicle is still moving and is stil flexible. The cable is too stiff and too rough; I bet the cable force the negative post to move and in time this one gets loose. I used to own a Citroen Axel, air cooled, you should see there heating on the engine but the battery never cracked.

Last edited by Tracus; 02-10-2009 at 10:00 AM.