X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help: wiper , cleaning fluid and window malfunction - X Type Estate 2006

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 11:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help: wiper , cleaning fluid and window malfunction - X Type Estate 2006

Hi, I hope someone can help me out, since our Jaguar garage seems to have no clue.
The car has had some alarm failures in the past that have been fixed by Jaguar dealer by replacing the Gem module.
Since, we are unable to use the back wiper, window cleaning fluid, and are unable to open the window within the hatchback. My logic sense screams: GEM module is either for a Sedan, or not correctly programmed for an Estate. Garage has looked it up for a few hours without finding the problem. According to the garage, the GEM has no influence on the mentioned problems.
Anyone has an idea? Thank in advance for all your advice!

Greetings from The Netherlands

PS: I have already posted this question earlier today with different title. sorry about confusion, I am trying to delete it!

Old 11-27-2012, 04:45 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,824 Likes on 3,143 Posts

Sojanszen, I have a few checks for you to do to help eliminate problems. Look at the troubleshooting for the glass latch section first as a single failure can cause what you are seeing.

First off, access the passenger area fuse box. If you look, you should find a small relay (R3, second one down from the left). Remove this relay and then flip it over to look at the prongs. if you look closely, you will see the numbers 1 thru 5. Find numbers 3 and 5. Now, using a small piece of wire, stick the 2 ends of the wire into the slots where pins 3 and 5 go. This should force the rear wiper motor to function. if the motor does not move, then you have a problem with either the wiper motor or the associated wiring. If the motor does move, then it is leaning towards the GEM module.

As for the rear wash, what I want you to try is to turn the car to the run position. and then with the help of a second person, have them hold the rear wash button in the "WASH" position. Now, using a multimeter, see if you have 12 VDC on the top of fuse F24 in the passenger fuse box. if you have 12 VDC, then you have a bad rear wash button. If you have 0 VDC, then see if you have 12 VDC on the top of fuse F23 in the passenger fuse box. If you have 12 VDC, then odds are your wash pump has an internal issue and it can not rotate like it needs to so you can get rear wash. If you get 0 VDC, then your front wash button is bad and it is cutting off power to the wash pump for the rear.

As for the rear glass. When you attempt to open the rear hatch using the "Hatch release" button, the door does open, correct? If so, then this proves the ground is good in the rear hatch. If this works, then I want you to access the glass release switch. You should see 2 wires coming off of it. A black wire and a red/white wire. What I want you to do is to unlock the doors and then shortly there after, install a jumper wire between the red/white wire and the black wire. Did the glass pop open? If yes, then your window glass switch is bad. If no, then you will need to access the latch motor. If you look, you should have 3 wires (black wire, green/black wire, and a white wire. You will need to do a resistance check of the green/black wire to chassis ground. You should get a very low resistance (less than 5 ohms is good). If you are getting a very high resistance, then your latch motor assembly is bad and the GEM thinks the rear wind is open (which can be causing the rear wiper to not work and the rear wash to not work since the GEM module thinks the window is open). If you have a low resistance, then odds are, you are looking at a bad GEM module.

Hopefully this fixes your issue.

The following users liked this post:
Sojanszen (11-28-2012)
Old 11-27-2012, 04:46 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,824 Likes on 3,143 Posts

Oh, by the way, the shop is kinda full of it as the GEM module is integrated with all of these functions, but the wash function is only used for indication, not for control for the most part.

The following users liked this post:
Sojanszen (11-28-2012)
Old 11-28-2012, 04:39 PM

Hi Chris,

whahoo, thank you so much for all of the above information. I will follow your checklist first thing this weekend!. My husband just corrected me by telling that the window cleaning fluid is the only function that actually does still work on the rear side. So sorry about that... I will keep you updated about my findings. It is a pitty I have to wait for the weekend to check it over daytime (and with better (day)light...) Thanks again,

S

Old 11-29-2012, 06:43 AM

Hi again Chris,
I have very good news from the dealer. They told me they will order a new GEM module and install it in order to see if that solves the problems. I am very happy the dealer admitted the GEM can play a part here and sincerely hope everything will work correctly after installation. I will keep you posted.

Old 08-05-2021, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Sojanszen, I have a few checks for you to do to help eliminate problems. Look at the troubleshooting for the glass latch section first as a single failure can cause what you are seeing.

First off, access the passenger area fuse box. If you look, you should find a small relay (R3, second one down from the left). Remove this relay and then flip it over to look at the prongs. if you look closely, you will see the numbers 1 thru 5. Find numbers 3 and 5. Now, using a small piece of wire, stick the 2 ends of the wire into the slots where pins 3 and 5 go. This should force the rear wiper motor to function. if the motor does not move, then you have a problem with either the wiper motor or the associated wiring. If the motor does move, then it is leaning towards the GEM module.

As for the rear wash, what I want you to try is to turn the car to the run position. and then with the help of a second person, have them hold the rear wash button in the "WASH" position. Now, using a multimeter, see if you have 12 VDC on the top of fuse F24 in the passenger fuse box. if you have 12 VDC, then you have a bad rear wash button. If you have 0 VDC, then see if you have 12 VDC on the top of fuse F23 in the passenger fuse box. If you have 12 VDC, then odds are your wash pump has an internal issue and it can not rotate like it needs to so you can get rear wash. If you get 0 VDC, then your front wash button is bad and it is cutting off power to the wash pump for the rear.

As for the rear glass. When you attempt to open the rear hatch using the "Hatch release" button, the door does open, correct? If so, then this proves the ground is good in the rear hatch. If this works, then I want you to access the glass release switch. You should see 2 wires coming off of it. A black wire and a red/white wire. What I want you to do is to unlock the doors and then shortly there after, install a jumper wire between the red/white wire and the black wire. Did the glass pop open? If yes, then your window glass switch is bad. If no, then you will need to access the latch motor. If you look, you should have 3 wires (black wire, green/black wire, and a white wire. You will need to do a resistance check of the green/black wire to chassis ground. You should get a very low resistance (less than 5 ohms is good). If you are getting a very high resistance, then your latch motor assembly is bad and the GEM thinks the rear wind is open (which can be causing the rear wiper to not work and the rear wash to not work since the GEM module thinks the window is open). If you have a low resistance, then odds are, you are looking at a bad GEM module.

Hopefully this fixes your issue.
Hi thermo,
Incredibly useful info as I've got the same problem. I can't open the tailgate glass window so I can't get windscreen wiper spindle out of the glass (the rear windscreen motor works fine, its just the spindle mechanism to which the motor is attached that has got clogged up and won't budge).

If this works, then I want you to access the glass release switch. You should see 2 wires coming off of it. A black wire and a red/white wire.
where is the glass release switch and the black and red/white wire?

I've taken the back off in order to see and test the windscreen wiper motor and the lock mechanism. I can see 4 wires going into a black box (with ford written on it), its part of the glass release but I can't see a black and red/white wire stick out of anywhere.

​​​​​​​thanks!