Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hep, major repair bill

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 06:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default hep, major repair bill

Okay so i got a 2600 dollar estimate on my car, and i just can't afford that, i need to put a wheall arch liner in, and it seems startitforwards, how can i do this, and other things like relain the buymper, replace a headlamp washer cover. with out paying so much fricking money. anything at all would be appreciated and i know some stuff about car repair.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:36 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Everything you mentiond is not as hard as it sounds. Were you in an accident? The reason I ask is the bumper either fits or it doesn't. Have you downloaded the JTIS yet? It has a step by step removal instructions for the bumper cover, from there you will be able to access the headlamp and washer cover.

Either way underneath the bumper there are many screws along the rim, just start unscrewing everything. You will need to remove the inner wheel wells or just a few screws so you can reach in there. There is I believe a 10mm hex screw you need to remove - 1 on each side (pass and driver). After that the bumper practically falls off the car. This is also a good time to do a HID upgrade because the headlight will not be easily accessable.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:08 PM
Veteran Member

okay, is there anyways i can replace the wheel wel with out having to remove the buymper, my dads a duestche about me and my love of my car ( i just can't have him come home and have the front bumper of my car just sitting thee lol) thats why i ask, also i heard of some people using appoxy to fill in the wholes caused by the front license plate holder, should i use thise method and for the poped out air vents

Old 06-23-2009, 08:14 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The wheel well is pretty flexible, I am sure you can work it into place. Not too sure about the apoxy trick.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:59 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Disco, all those things are easy to do. If you are trying to fill the front bumper with epoxy, repaint the front bumper and insert the wheel well liner, it would be best to remove the bumper off of the car. This will make working on the items easier and also when you paint the bumper will prevent the likelihood of having overspray. If you can park the car for say 2 days, that would be all that is needed to do what you are after and get all the painting done. The only thing I would caution you on is that the paint will be fairly soft doing this and you will need to be careful with the bumper to prevent chipping the paint. So, having a second set of hands around would be great.

if you need more help, just hollar.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:05 PM
Veteran Member

okay well noted, now the question is, what kind o bolts should i use, the stock ones come with a little clip, and i think i only have 2 or 3 of them, what can i use as a replacement, the appoxy is going to be used for the fron license plate holder, the holes that will be there and then ill just use the touch up paint for the car. Another question, what about the poped up defroster vents, should i just hot glue them in or what.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

a *dab* of gorilla glue or similar on the defroster vent fasteners is all you need. Epoxy is way overkill and liable to cause a nice mess trying to get it in there.

What exactly is the problem with the car? Are things damaged or mangled or is this just a little cosmetic repair?

Take the OEM fastener and clip to the auto parts store and have a clerk help you match them up. Using the proper fasteners will save you time and aggrevation in the long run and you'll get better results than trying to cut corners and use something else.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member

Well, theres afew, theres some cosmetics stuff, but im leaving that to a autobody shop, or whe i get back to school, i can just use the schools for paints problems. But, the list is massive, the lower grille, the plastic bar is broken in half, didn't notice this when i got the car, and apparently its 587 remanufactuered one, i think putting in a mesh would be cheeaper, longer lasting and just better overall. theres rust, which is going to have to be corrects, theres pieces hunging out fromt he bottom of the car, which im going to try and take care of today, the hoods abit chipped, not notacable but is starting to rust, my rear passenger side bushing is making noises, and the bumper needs to be realighned,, a new wheel arch liner has to be put in, and a headlamp washer cover, i have these two parts with me, bought them new. And a few scraps ont eh front bumper. Do u guys think i can use a hot glue gun to fix the vents and the front side indicators light that keep popping in and out?

Old 06-24-2009, 01:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

I would not hot glue the indicator light. It will make changing the bulb unecessarily difficult in the future. The lens can be tricky to keep from falling out, if I remember correctly, you have to give it a solid push toward the front of the car for it to "lock" into place. This is assuming the fender is not otherwise damaged.

That front splitter is not an expensive part and just snaps in place. They come unpainted however, so if yours is body color you'll have to live with black or repaint it.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member

okay, but im wondering id the splitter would be cheaper to replace with mesh one from mina gallery, and it would hold up better in the long run. And i tried the lock thing, it seems really loose, but ill try it again, i just darkend the side markers, clost to the front, and waiting for them to dry. I migh need a new tray underneath the front, ill see if i can salvage it or not, and i repaired/fixed alot of the plastic parts already, do u think i can hot glue the air vents( deforster) ones back in or should i use the glue u recommended.